Shield bash on horseback?

Users who are viewing this thread

I just know that I, a lot of times, end up standing side by side with enemy cavalry and having a swinging match with my sword/axe/club/whatever. And everytime I wish I could bash that shield in the enemies face.

What do you guys think? Should it be implemented?

No that'd be retarded, shield bash as it is already is annoying as ****
The 2 handed lance/spear up-attacks whilst mounted look stupid enough as they are we don't need more

That would be dope. Doing so would knock them out of their horse eh?

At the right skill level, why not? :grin:

The 2 handed lance/spear up-attacks whilst mounted look stupid enough as they are we don't need more

So this one thing looks bad - so we cant do, another, completely different thing? Got it.
I mean, you do you, but a more in depth reason would be nice

I'm astounded the player can shield bash at all on foot.
I'm curious if any one has modded it for AI and seen what they do? Is it just an even bigger cluster **** with them shield bashing?
Anyway I say just kill them, why play with them?
with my sword/axe/club/whatever
Oh... that's why. GetGlaive!

Dunno if you could generate enough energy for a good proper shieldbash while sitting in a saddle without unseating yourself. Not to mention it would look pretty awkward. So while I'm not really against the idea, I'm not for it at all either. Does not seem like somerthing worth spending time to discuss and implement, given how slow TW can be with these things....

It would work if shield bashing looked right. Right now, we have the Elder Scrolls-esque "let's slap them with a slab really quick" where it should be driving the rim of the shield into someone. If it looked like the latter, it could work to stun / knock some jerk off of his horse, but **** if we can use crossbows mounted may as well be able to kick ****ers in the face or hit them with a shield.

It's at least semi-historical even if the animation isn't really accurate.

But I'm trying to find evidence in a treatise or something that shows a spear being used like in-game. No luck with it so far. Two hands, spear up in the air overhead, on horseback doesn't seem like an effective attack at all. It can work well on foot but on horseback?

But I'm trying to find evidence in a treatise or something that shows a spear being used like in-game. No luck with it so far. Two hands, spear up in the air overhead, on horseback doesn't seem like an effective attack at all. It can work well on foot but on horseback?

re: Spears - in treatises / manuals from Gheyer (1609?) and Joachim Meyer actually show holding the spear like that. Now on horseback, you'd need crazy core strength especially without stirrups, but it's a high guard. Usually for pikes and other "longer" polearms may not an actual Kontos or similar cavalry spear. The "over the head" hold is a high thrust guard, here is a source I found with some fast googling

re: Spears - in treatises / manuals from Gheyer (1609?) and Joachim Meyer actually show holding the spear like that. Now on horseback, you'd need crazy core strength especially without stirrups, but it's a high guard. Usually for pikes and other "longer" polearms may not an actual Kontos or similar cavalry spear. The "over the head" hold is a high thrust guard, here is a source I found with some fast googling
Yeah that's on foot. I practice from an Italian treatise and it's similar.

But it's not used like that mounted. I don't know what the devs were thinking there.

please add sidestep to horse so we can have a more dynamic gameplay, pic related

lala-lalafell-sidestep-dance-ffxiv-final-fantasy-xiv.gif

Dunno if you could generate enough energy for a good proper shieldbash while sitting in a saddle without unseating yourself. Not to mention it would look pretty awkward. So while I'm not really against the idea, I'm not for it at all either. Does not seem like somerthing worth spending time to discuss and implement, given how slow TW can be with these things....
This is what I initially wanted to say but didn't know how to convey it through words ^^

Exactly what I mean. I'm fine with polearms and the likes but the two handed up swing attack just looks ridiculous
please add sidestep to horse so we can have a more dynamic gameplay, pic related

lala-lalafell-sidestep-dance-ffxiv-final-fantasy-xiv.gif
lalaJAM

lalajam.gif

Back
Top Bottom