Users who are viewing this thread

Custom servers made Warband great back in the day (among other things). Neglecting this feature now would be a very big mistake from Taleworlds.

But I think there is a reason for that. They want to push their "E-sports mode". Because with Customs server no one would play Skirmish anymore.

This letter highlights our greatest concerncs and offers some very simple solutions. Simple, if Taleworlds wants to do it. We'll see where we stand for real after or rather if they react.
To be a bit more frank than what is being said in this letter, we've had some very honest discussions within the teams with some very honest words being used to describe the situation. The following is imo, as our common opinion is that really good letter. Tldr, custom servers some time in 2022 or even later are unacceptable for modding purposes and results in serious outcry. We need something to test our stuff in MP at least. Every time I visit a youtube video talking about Bannerlord, comments highlight how the game would be if mods were released. Mods are a valuable part of Taleworld's reputation. Don't throw that reputation away over personal ego. I am sure that Taleworlds can do it, I just don't know anymore whether they want to do it.

Last edited:
This is the saddest part of this letter for me. (for the pleople dont know this. This is offical, not a mod and came with an unintentionally hotfix gone with an intentionally hotfix in patch 1.4 source)
jslC2TK.png
093896C52751438315AF3A76074AD5138DC11920

If we had these tools from the start, we would be talking about a different multiplayer experience and a different player base. We wouldn't be stuck with the low player base that is shrinks every month. Mods would populate the game as it did for singleplayer. It benefits both, community and taleworlds.

Custom servers made Warband great back in the day (among other things). Neglecting this feature now would be a very big mistake from Taleworlds.

But I think there is a reason for that. They want to push their "E-sports mode". Because with Customs server no one would play Skirmish anymore.

Before bannerlord online, multiplayer for regular people and ranked player base was near death. After that mod we saw the influence of players for the official multiplayer part of the game, and we even see some clans that formed in bannerlord online that also plays now in official servers and tournaments. If they want to push their "Esports mode". They need lots of new players. What would happen to the new ranked mode that they are planning if there is a low playerbase. Sure there will be new/returning players when they open ranked but will it be a healthy and sustainable population? or will it die quickly as it stands today? Mods will increase the overall population on a healthy basis because there will be new things for every mod and with every mod got released there will be youtube videos, twitch streams etc about it and that will increase the overall playerbase. Even the roleplay community is still neglected in Bannerlord. Still we see in Gta V that lots of players play in roleplay servers that also increases the overall population of the main game. That will also going to happen for Bannerlord. There is only win/win for Taleworlds and for the community. Even if they want to release custom server files in end of the 2022 or in 2023 they should have let people to use create a game function from the start of the EA.

Last edited:
I've completely stopped modelling for a mod project mentioned in the letter, at this point it just feel hopeless to try considering how shaky the multiplayer scene is looking. In 2+ years time I don't expect there to even be a substantial enough player base to justify thousands of hours of free work. By not giving us any hope now its just going to redirect dozens of mod teams onto your competitors. Its honestly amazing how unaware you are of your community and what made Warband as beloved as it is. If the solutions aren't met soon then I will defiantly be moving on for good and I'm sure a good deal many more will too.

TW is nipping in the bud the creative potential of fans. In the name of wanting to make money on a questionable monetization system to be woven into their system of compepetive games. Those are the facts! I have a suggestion for TW. Your future money rests in well produced DLC and not in the MP scene. You will not repeat the success of CS:GO or Fortnite. Start cashing in on the demand created by mods that youre trying so hard to stop.

When you understand that you are cutting the branch you are sitting on?

7RWqO1Z.jpg

Last edited:
While I completely agree with this letter, I really don't think that this one is going to be as successful as the previous modder open letter. Given that TW has already stated their position on this, I don't know what this will get done. I do really hope that I am wrong though.

This whole situation is a heavy absurdity. The people who are responsible for this cynical TW policy seem to be completely out of touch with reality. It's not just that TW spits in the face of the mod creators. They are sabotaging the potential of their own project, TW not only will not earn more on it, but will murder its own product. For God's sake, everyone can see it.

I'm curious how many of disappointed people would buy that new game TW is secretly creating. I guess it won't be such a bestseller like Bannerlord after EA release.

Lucon wanted me to share this video here as well. It is a brief summary of the "Future Plans" developer blog and the response from 17 modding projects including Sword & Musket, Full Invasion 3 and Trial of the Seven Kingdoms.

I am pretty sure we'll get tons of errors when the servers are released. Even now, the imaginal error sounds of custom servers are starting to drive me crazy. :grin:

As i hear from other players, the multiplayer is close to dead or something because TW didn't release the servers. If TW should want to gain more players and money from their long-made product, they would do something for it. At least they can try it. I personally just don't want this game die because of some decisions that prevents modders making the game more funnier...

This, could be a total disaster for people who wants to play this game with their friends and with mods.

Nevertheless, I am happy that modders' voice were heard once. I hope things will get solved somehow.

I am pretty sure we'll get tons of errors when the servers are released. Even now, the imaginal error sounds of custom servers are starting to drive me crazy. :grin:

As i hear from other players, the multiplayer is close to dead or something because TW didn't release the servers. If TW should want to gain more players and money from their long-made product, they would do something for it. At least they can try it. I personally just don't want this game die because of some decisions that prevents modders making the game more funnier...

This, could be a total disaster for people who wants to play this game with their friends and with mods.

Nevertheless, I am happy that modders' voice were heard once. I hope things will get solved somehow.
I think it's probably their main reason for not releasing the custom files just yet, but there'd be absolutely no harm to keeping the custom servers to the beta branch or not visible on the main server lobby until then. At the very least that would allow modding teams to begin work.

Saying that, though, there's no point holding custom servers back if they are buggy and crashing when the vanilla servers constantly crash regardless. If anything, having custom servers would most likely result in players getting to the bottom of what is causing crashes in the first place.

It honestly just feels like hubris on Taleworld's behalf at this point, but they do seem very keen to make the game as modder-friendly as possible so this letter is probably our best chance yet!

Hello to everyone!

A subset of the total conversion modding community wrote an open letter from the developers of mod teams looking to create a "Multiplayer" mode in general, regarding the "Server" section in the latest "Future Plans" attached messages from Bannerlord developers about some of our serious issues. Wrote. The Open Letter written by Jance, who is in the Kingdoms of Arda team, was received positively by Taleworlds developers, and they brought innovations that will lead to more innovations in the development stages. However, here we wanted to convey our concerns about this issue to TaleWorlds through this letter, unlike some parts of the "Future Plans" section.

We are aware that especially Tournament/League owners raise a lot of topics about "Servers" in the community and we know that this bothers Taleworlds Developers as well because now they want these "Servers" to be released as soon as they can; and they are doing their best, but you know " As Callum stated in the "Future Plans" section.

We all know that Taleworlds has been slow in development in the Multiplayer part because it has given priority to Singleplayer and the Singleplayer part is subject to the most intense updates in this regard. However, we know that Dejan hosts special events and provides "Event" support to the community, of course, we are grateful to dear Dejan for this!

We thought and moved on this descriptive text for a long time, talked to many mod communities and understood the concerns of mod projects that want to successfully continue their testing phase in Multiplayer mod projects, and we had to write an open letter to Taleworlds about it.

Here is the link to the full letter.
We welcome all kinds of encouragement, comments and support that you need to express your criticism, support and suggestions in this topic.

Sincerely and respectfully,
The Total-Conversion Community

Hey guys,

Thanks for taking the time to get together to prepare and share your feedback regarding custom servers and multiplayer modding with us. We’ve started discussing it and will take it into account as development continues.

To directly respond to your primary concern shared in the preface of your letter (and which you again explained further on in the letter as being the most important concern of Mod Communities), we want to say categorically that we plan to support multiplayer modding, including custom assets... but it will take some time.

As stated in the Future Plans blog, we have a number of features that we are currently working on for multiplayer, with custom servers being on that list. We understand that many of you would like to see server files and modding support features sooner, but unfortunately, they come with their own challenges and complications, and so we made our plans accordingly.

It isn’t quite as simple as reverting to one of the other suggestions you put forward as a potential solution either. If we take ‘Re-enable the “Create a Game” function’ as an example: the feature is mainly used for debugging, isn't stable, doesn't work at all with a number of game modes, and uses our servers. This means that we would need to divert our attention and limited resources to work on something that isn’t a planned feature as a temporary fix. Instead, we would rather focus that energy on the ultimate goal of custom servers - because these will be the real foundation for multiplayer modding.

As a final note, we appreciate the amount of time and effort you have put into laying the groundwork for your multiplayer mods and we know that you are eager to crack on with your projects. And just to reiterate our stance on modding: we like it and want to do what we can to support it (as shown by many of the recent modding related changes to the game and modding tools!). We just ask that you give us a little more time so that we are better equipped and prepared to support you when the time comes to share server files and open up multiplayer to modding.

Back
Top Bottom