Giving commands after a battle is now nonexistent

Users who are viewing this thread

Why did they make this change. I came back to the game after a month or so of just letting new stuff come around and fixes. So 1.6.1 has new things, but I've noticed they changed the commands after a battle. So I usually like to send everyone on a full charge when the enemy is retreating. Well all the sudden 1.6.1 they decided to change that. Ya, your men still will fight and all that, but you are not allowed to give commands as it was before. I feel like this change was small and just not reasonable.

We don't know why but they changed it several versions ago, it was on porpoise and they seem reluctant to change it back. ?
It's very unpopular although also a non-issue if you ALWAYS charge when the enemy is thinned out or ALWAYS have something on fallow me (I bring baby HA on fallow me at battle end to kill the runners). But yeah, it's dum. it stinks and everyone want it changed back.

This was a deliberate move taken by Taleworlds.

The latest change is that half of the troops will charge at the enemy and the other half will be cheering. This is a design decision and if you do not like this change please open a topic about this in the feedback board. Thank you! (source)

Bad move, imho...

I'm in the minority when I say this but I personally don't mind the change. I want to mention some points and also some suggestions to possibly please everyone while keeping the game immersive.

Why I like it the way it is:

The way it is now, for me it marks the end of the battle so I can tell quicker that it has ended when I can no longer order my troops. This change also slightly nerfs cavalry and archers because they're the only ones you can use to catch routed units to farm exp and loot, and this only makes infantry worse than it already is, giving archers and cavalry a huge advantage specifically when farming exp which is already very easy for ranged units especially. It being this way also immerses me because realistically after a battle there will be disorganized behavior between the troops from excitement/adrenaline/and greed to loot the dead, and it's further more immersive because this is also marked on the campaign map after a battle by a reduction in movement speed through the debuff "Disorganized", so for me it makes sense overall.

All things considered, I personally like it the way it is. But I've never really felt the need to put my troops in order for a screenshot or other things players like to do after a battle. All these reasons considered, I can see why TW also likes it the way it is now.

As for suggestions:

1. There should be more variety of actions soldiers will take, for example crouched "looting" animation over a corpse (only if corpses are enabled for the player). That way some would be cheering, some would be looting, some would be chasing the last enemies, bringing more variety and immersion.

2. Make a key responsible for "retaking command" of the cheering/looting units so you regain control of the troops. Yes, this is what a "bastard" commander would do, and some players want to play that way. But this shouldn't happen without some morale penalties. Battles should reward less morale if you don't let the soldiers just do their thing after a battle as they realistically would after putting their life on the line for you. You should also gain some sort of negative trait by not letting them cheer and loot. Moreso, maybe bandit units wouldn't suffer morale penalties (this can be a perk effect in roguery), because they're 'bastards' anyway. This can definitely go more in-depth. PS: still waiting for the perk to allow us to recruit a big amount of bandits (over the troops limit).

Last edited:
I'm in the minority when I say this but I personally don't mind the change. I want to mention some points and also some suggestions to possibly please everyone while keeping the game immersive.

The way it is now, for me it marks the end of the battle so I can tell quicker that it has ended when I can no longer order my troops. This change also slightly nerfs cavalry and archers because they're the only ones you can use to catch routed units to farm exp and loot, and this only makes infantry worse than it already is, giving archers and cavalry a huge advantage specifically when farming exp which is already very easy for ranged units especially. It being this way also immerses me because realistically after a battle there will be disorganized behavior between the troops from excitement/adrenaline/and greed to loot the dead, and it's further more immersive because this is also marked on the campaign map after a battle by a reduction in movement speed through the debuff "Disorganized", so for me it makes sense overall.

All things considered, I personally like it the way it is. But I've never really felt the need to put my troops in order for a screenshot or other things players like to do after a battle. All these reasons considered, I can see why TW also likes it the way it is now.

As for suggestions:

1. There should be more variety of actions soldiers will take, for example crouched "looting" animation over a corpse (only if corpses are enabled for the player). That way some would be cheering, some would be looting, some would be chasing the last enemies, bringing more variety and immersion.

2. Make a key responsible for "retaking command" of the cheering/looting units so you regain control of the troops. Yes, this is what a "bastard" commander would do, and some players want to play that way. But this shouldn't happen without some morale penalties. Battles should reward less morale if you don't let the soldiers just do their thing after a battle as they realistically would after putting their life on the line for you. You should also gain some sort of negative trait by not letting them cheer and loot. Moreso, maybe bandit units wouldn't suffer morale penalties (this can be a perk effect in roguery), because they're 'bastards' anyway. This can definitely go more in-depth. PS: still waiting for the perk to allow us to recruit a big amount of bandits (over the troops limit).
I can't believe another player would want this. And its hard to understand why it matter if range and cavalry get more experience than infantry, isn't experience good? I find that in 1.6.2 and 1.6.1. the battle AI is much worst, archers are using melee weapons when command is delegated then getting killed for no reason, units are breaking formation or the formations are not working as intended. Circle formation is not working at all no matter what I do. And earlier versions of Bannerlord and Warband units still when the battle with no casualties.

Personally, I strongly believe that they should restore the orders after the player is unconscious and gives us a toggle for Body Sliding so another unit can command the party since the AI is very sketchy.

Continuing pursuit once the enemy has broken should earn the player a merciless or dishonourable trait. :smile:
giphy.gif

Exactly, iirc to @guiskj mentioned it here and I thought it was an interesting idea to explore. I still think it's the best gameplay formula that combines action and rpg in the same mechanic.

As for suggestions:

Interesting! I've only heard opposing arguments on this matter before.
You make a compelling argument for the sake of realism though.

And the looting animation would be very nice but I reckon that it'd also be difficult to implement. I dont know what bodies do once they ragdolled onto the ground, but having a different NPC walk up to its exact spot and start the animation sounds like something that could bug out or look glitchy. NPC's huddling up together to cheer or other post-battle actions could definetly add some more realism though.

I don't why this change was implemented, it felt like fixing a problem which didn't exist.

For those who argue and say it's realistic then I find the point in which you can no longer control your troops being the same point in which the enemy has their moral broken to be pretty arbitrary all things considered. Also from a gameplay standpoint this makes preparing the charge for these fleeing enemies more tedious, as you have to be careful not to call a charge too late, but if you order all your troops to charge too early they can do something stupid. Overall it makes the tactical portion of the game more frustrating than anything.

Finally the roleplay aspect is one many long time mount and blade players are familiar with. Most of us realize that running down the last enemy forces while it does give more exp, does use up quite a bit of real life time you can spend doing something else. This leads to players possibly ending the battle early once they win like I sometimes do. This would be the merciful roleplay method, instead of the cruel method of running everyone down. Taleworlds should've been fine with this tried and true method and like I said I still don't know why they added this arbitrary command limitation. I even thought this was a bug the first time I noticed it, that's how crazy it was to me.

I don't get who had this awful idea of taking your control away when the enemy routs, it's the perfect time to send a cavalry charge and try to kill as many as possible, it makes no goddamn sense to remove this.

I want more control over my troops instead of less, period.

After half a year I came back. The game is much more playable but this change really pissed me off.

I want to kill as many as possible and take the loot as many as possible too.
No survivors. Instead of doing this, they could've given us an option to put enemies' heads on the spikes after the battle.
Darn feminism.

I also want to throw out that for new players it can be very beneficial to just use the f commands after a battle and explore what and where they all are. I was pretty PO'd when I first tried the MP beta and you couldn't issue command "there's no one under you command" in the warm ups. I just wanted to look through them all. What I'm supposed to figure it all out in a match with other people watching who will make fun of me and hurt my feeling?

I also want to throw out that for new players it can be very beneficial to just use the f commands after a battle and explore what and where they all are. I was pretty PO'd when I first tried the MP beta and you couldn't issue command "there's no one under you command" in the warm ups. I just wanted to look through them all. What I'm supposed to figure it all out in a match with other people watching who will make fun of me and hurt my feeling?
You can use custom battles for this.

Back
Top Bottom