RAMBO TACTIC, DEAR CAPTAINS, CAST UR VOTE!

What parameter of the mode should be turned to combat this tactic ?

• Buff spears and pikes

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Nerf cav

• Make it impossible to park any unit class

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Make it impossible to park cav only

• Fix archers

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Something else need's to be done

Votes: 24 38.1%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

If you buff anti-cav AI for ground troops, then rambo will be even more necessary because your entire squad of cav will be wiped when you charge in, compared to rambo, where you can get much higher value out of each individual unit rather than throw them away for low to no value.
You really don't see the difference between: "entire squad of cav will be wiped when you charge in" and "repel or even kill 1 single cav that is attacking your troops" or the fact that "from 1cm to 100 meters" includes all intermediate values?
Why are you trying "reduction to absurdity" statements and opinions @Olaf The Cruel?
And criticism of the "author's approach" is hardly what can be called "constructive criticism", which is a factor of progress, as I believe.
There's not a single person that thinks faction balance and viable troops classes shouldn't be a priority.
And this is perhaps the main thing that @Olaf The Cruel and other opponents of the "leash" are trying to convey to the @armagan @Dejan @MArdA TaleWorlds @elysebluemoon @Singil @uçanbiblo @SadShogun @Duh_TaleWorlds @lottendill @Callum!!!

Last edited:
You really don't see the difference between: "entire squad of cav will be wiped when you charge in" and "repel or even kill 1 single cav that is attacking your troops" or the fact that "from 1cm to 100 meters" includes all intermediate values?
Why are you trying "reduction to absurdity" statements and opinions @Olaf The Cruel?
And criticism of the "author's approach" is hardly what can be called "constructive criticism", which is a factor of progress, as I believe.

And this is perhaps the main thing that @Olaf The Cruel and other opponents of the "leash" are trying to convey to the @armagan @Dejan @MArdA TaleWorlds @elysebluemoon @Singil @uçanbiblo @SadShogun @Duh_TaleWorlds @lottendill @Callum!!!
However that's no reason not to fix it with a leash. It can always be removed later if it is no longer required. Right now Rambo frankly makes this gamemode unplayable it it's intended form - something needs to happen. And I don't expect TW to resolve every a.i issue overnight.

However that's no reason not to fix it with a leash. It can always be removed later if it is no longer required. Right now Rambo frankly makes this gamemode unplayable it it's intended form - something needs to happen. And I don't expect TW to resolve every a.i issue overnight.
I play 10-20 games almost daily in captains mode and am 100% sure of its absolute playability and fun. At the same time, I encounter the use of Rambo's tactics in no more than 1-2 games. And if this is one Rambo player, then this does not create any problems at all, since it is enough to simply counter it tactically. Rather, the opposing team suffers from this. Very rarely, 2-3 Rambo players are encountered in the opposing team, and then (in case of an unsuccessful choice of the types of troops) this can really cause negative emotions. But, again, this happens very rarely. Especially after adding kick-ability.
PS: I have a more serious and certainly more frequent resentment about the unbalanced strength of Khuzait.

I play 10-20 games almost daily in captains mode and am 100% sure of its absolute playability and fun. At the same time, I encounter the use of Rambo's tactics in no more than 1-2 games. And if this is one Rambo player, then this does not create any problems at all, since it is enough to simply counter it tactically. Rather, the opposing team suffers from this. Very rarely, 2-3 Rambo players are encountered in the opposing team, and then (in case of an unsuccessful choice of the types of troops) this can really cause negative emotions. But, again, this happens very rarely. Especially after adding kick-ability.
PS: I have a more serious and certainly more frequent resentment about the unbalanced strength of Khuzait.
Fair play to you. I'll admit I haven't played captains for a good couple of weeks. But my perception has been very different. At least 50% of the games I played had at *least* one person doing it. Sometimes 2-3. Whether it won or lost the game was irrelevant because I did not enjoy those games.

Which is a huge shame because I find captains mode brilliant in general. It's much more relaxing then skirmish - and it fills a gaming niche that I'm not sure any other games truly fill.

This is how a fairly large distance leash would effect my gameplay, more or less unnoticeable, I always have my units with me anyways. I do tuck them behind objects when I'm scouting but never that far away. The maps are built in such a way where there is always cover of some description nearby, except for a few circumstances coming into the c flag in open fields on forest and jawali. However you can still approach those areas and scout the enemy position before revealing your units.

@Olaf The Cruel I do understand your point re solo approach to a unit of archers... But in my vision of it you can still solo approach a bunch of archers with a long leash, however in a completely open field your ai will most likely also be in range to be shot by those archers... But let's say those archers are positioned on the c flag at jawali you can still leave your units out of sight on the down side of the ramp while you rush them solo or come up from the rear on the left side and tuck them behind a building with a long leash in play. Depending on the length of the leash you may reach the their position before it takes up slack, however you have still effectively caused the enemy ai to do whatever your objective was (drop range for mele or fire into your shield or whatever) I'm not a huge fan of the solo unit soaking up all the archer arrows in his shield but it is what it is with current ai control and intelligence and at this point it's up to the archer unit to hold fire or change position/direction at this point to save ammo
@Spottswoode The example of 1 inf unit sneaking up on your units. I actually want it to be a viable tactic for that inf. Because the downside of him coming alone for the archers is that his units are parked alone and being passive, "tucked away and safe behind a house" on B flag jawwali. So many times playing as archers I was the one actually sneaking up on his parked and alone units with all my troops, and punishing him badly for leaving his squad alone and not being aware of what is happening. Before 1.5.0 atleast, my archers would kill 50% of his units or even more before he noticed that his plan have backfired badly, HAHA! But it's super hard to do that now, it's a major risk. Because I need to get danger close, and with archers movement speed and poor target acquisition, he can actually just attack me. Before 1.5.0 archers would be able to wipe out an entire squad of enemy 2h within 15-20 meters, all by themselves. Fun fun fun times!

@Spottswoode The example of 1 inf unit sneaking up on your units. I actually want it to be a viable tactic for that inf. Because the downside of him coming alone for the archers is that his units are parked alone and being passive, "tucked away and safe behind a house" on B flag jawwali. So many times playing as archers I was the one actually sneaking up on his parked and alone units with all my troops, and punishing him badly for leaving his squad alone and not being aware of what is happening. Before 1.5.0 atleast, my archers would kill 50% of his units or even more before he noticed that his plan have backfired badly, HAHA! But it's super hard to do that now, it's a major risk. Because I need to get danger close, and with archers movement speed and poor target acquisition, he can actually just attack me. Before 1.5.0 archers would be able to wipe out an entire squad of enemy 2h within 15-20 meters, all by themselves. Fun fun fun times!
True true, punishing the unwary goes both ways in that situation! F1f5 definitely allows you to mow down 2h within that range pretty comfortably but I get what you're saying 100% on that subject can I do a shout out to the devs for the f1f5 retreat feature with ranged units, it's probably the most polished ai feature in the game, really really nice and turns archers into beasts as long as your positioned well!

In other news, having a bloody great time solo que in random matches lately.. Like was mentioned above, the frequency of Ramboing is way down on NA servers (when I'm on anyways, which is very late in the night NA time) and games are for me loading in about 2-4 mins tops. Very few people suiciding their troops for no reason these days and if someone yells out a strategy / idea at the beginning of the round 90% of the time all 6 players commit to it. Maybe people are just bored of Ramboing maybe they are angry at the game and it's flaws so they quit, either way it's been nice! Also cav being used frequently and having a large impact on the match by being in the right place at the right time with their ai in toe and often 2 or so units of archers on each team being used well and supported by the rest of the army. Been good fun!

Last edited:
My first impressions of 1.6.2 is that in skirmish, TDM and siege it have become more balanced. But, in cap mode it would look like the new perks would address some of what we have talked about here though. But, the perks don't matter if the AI don't react on them. I was testing skirmishers for a few games. And they are still not a viable class. They are just as useless as they were before the update. The AI need to be way way more aggressive with their throwables, or no one will ever pick them. With archers I don't feel any change in their AI behavior. And I fear they will become even weaker after the speed boost of some inf classes. Spears can bring down cav in 1-2 hits now. That wont encourage cav players to move away from the rambo meta either. But, need to test the update more before I have a clear picture.

In my opinion, update 1.6.1 severely slashed the realism and the potential for progress of players in the captains mode, adding child casualness (perks) and arcade (the transience of battles due to the increase in speed and damage) that prevents the dispersion of the tactical arsenal.
Well, I'm not a child and I appreciate realism and tactical freedom in games and in this part the patch upset me. @TaleWorlds please fix this.
PS: at the same time, Rambo tactic feel even better :sneaky:

Considering the AI design is under the realm of the singleplayer team and not the understaffed and neglected multiplayer team, maybe you should take your complaining over there.
You actually might be on to something there. But, I know the sp dev's are hearing us. They also said they want to do something about cap mode AI. But, I guess, like u said, they don't have the time or manpower to work on it now, and the sp AI is a tall order. I dunno how they decide what parts of the game has priority. I have this idea that they can't get through to the CEO of TW. But I really don't know..

Back
Top Bottom