What do you do in a medium-long campaign when NOT at war?

Users who are viewing this thread

Maybe they ought put an option to accelerate time progression in times of peace for the player faction (when they have a kingdom). This way your character ages faster and the dynasty system gives a reset for the new generation (the point of it all), that is if the player even wants that. Otherwise they'll need to add in a few new kingly activities :razz:

But to answer your question OP yes, I use the additional quests mod, it adds some fresh entertaining ones to the cities and villages.

Additional Quests [nexusmods]

Last edited:
Start wars.
Also, I travel around to my fiefs and do issues and for several versions now I have to throw out recruits everywhere (lets hope 1.6.2 finally fixed the garrison bugs). I wish I could send a clan mate to specifically do this, meaning not let them free roam and 'maybe' do some, but to order them to do so, to do all of them, forever and ever. That would feel good.
I like to play most of the game as a solo clan, so I make peace and take care of all my fiefs, then start a new wars and expand. It much better then vassal/ruler gameplay. Vassal is only for getting leadership via armies, ruler is late game "**** it" button when I'm burnt out on that playthrough.

I tend to have everybody married off very early on so that I have 4 or 5 kids on the way within the first game year... so when not at war, once I have either joined or created a kingdom, my primary goals are as follows:

• Maintain loyalty in my fiefs (if it is out of balance this means dealing with security/resource quests)
  • Improve secure passive income (improve my fief/workshop profitability)
  • Make a hit-list of fiefless clans - This is probably the single biggest job as the game progresses - and it can instantly add 500 to 1000 troops to your faction for the same price as a handful of caravans.
  • Strip future enemy cities of food - check the war vote regularly to get an idea of which enemies are trending. Buy up all the food production from their cities while you're at peace - so that when you are at war, they're starving within a couple of days of siege and you have food enough to restock those cities when you take them.
  • Look out for cities on the turn - same as above - you can buy them into starvation and rebellion.
But sometimes a game just gets to that point where it's not going anywhere. I've only played long enough to have my kids grow up a couple of times. Usually I get to mid-game and hit new campaign. I'm working on my - get married, free family, get family married setup speed

Agreed. I usually play untill I have two towns and then I quit playing for a couple of months and then start again doing the same thing. The early game is actually quite solid.

This is something that usually happens in my campaigns too. And for this reason I have suggested many times for making the player’s progress more dynamic like in Crusader Kings games.

I think I have just played as my son only in 1 campaign of more than 50.

There are some good features that are wasted in late game due to balancing issues.

I tend to have everybody married off very early on so that I have 4 or 5 kids on the way within the first game year... so when not at war, once I have either joined or created a kingdom, my primary goals are as follows:

• Maintain loyalty in my fiefs (if it is out of balance this means dealing with security/resource quests)
  • Improve secure passive income (improve my fief/workshop profitability)
  • Make a hit-list of fiefless clans - This is probably the single biggest job as the game progresses - and it can instantly add 500 to 1000 troops to your faction for the same price as a handful of caravans.
  • Strip future enemy cities of food - check the war vote regularly to get an idea of which enemies are trending. Buy up all the food production from their cities while you're at peace - so that when you are at war, they're starving within a couple of days of siege and you have food enough to restock those cities when you take them.
  • Look out for cities on the turn - same as above - you can buy them into starvation and rebellion.
But sometimes a game just gets to that point where it's not going anywhere. I've only played long enough to have my kids grow up a couple of times. Usually I get to mid-game and hit new campaign. I'm working on my - get married, free family, get family married setup speed
How restock food supply? Stashing it or the market

How restock food supply? Stashing it or the market
Sell it back to the market... after a short period it shows up as reduced shortage. While it is morally reprehensible to create a food shortage, it is also very profitable to sell their food back to them after a siege.

Sell it back to the market... after a short period it shows up as reduced shortage. While it is morally reprehensible to create a food shortage, it is also very profitable to sell their food back to them after a siege.
This and your earlier post are utterly devious and I love it. I've done soft sieges where I just sit in front of a city gate to block the villagers and caravans but not attract armies, but your plan is so much better. I'm gonna have to try this.

Back to the OP,
I think everyone agrees there is not enough peace time or rp elements in the game. I love feasts and all the other ideas people have suggested. I would love to see small interactions we could have with family members or other lords that would do nothing other than give a small relations boost. How about a quest to walk your wife or child through town and get 1 to 3 relation? I would do it for the rp alone. Maybe duels with other lords for battle practice for relation or small bet? The quests overall should be doubled and way more are needed for the vassal and ruler level.

This and your earlier post are utterly devious and I love it. I've done soft sieges where I just sit in front of a city gate to block the villagers and caravans but not attract armies, but your plan is so much better. I'm gonna have to try this.

Back to the OP,
I think everyone agrees there is not enough peace time or rp elements in the game. I love feasts and all the other ideas people have suggested. I would love to see small interactions we could have with family members or other lords that would do nothing other than give a small relations boost. How about a quest to walk your wife or child through town and get 1 to 3 relation? I would do it for the rp alone. Maybe duels with other lords for battle practice for relation or small bet? The quests overall should be doubled and way more are needed for the vassal and ruler level.
I'd love to see some actual governing while in peace... Like the main charcater becomes the governor of his capital while waiting and then thre's a lot of notifications for his attention, like petitioners, issues for his people, his vassals, holding court, etc... That would be ****ing awesome

Mainly trading, and in the way training my troops against horde of looters, I have a looting looters mod so I figth some times against 400/600.As I use the distinguish service mod I also get companions /governors for my next campaign conquests . I almost play as king using mods to. I'M tired to start with rags.

What is this 'not at war' of which you speak? Is that like being perpetually at war, only not? Strange idea. I vaguely remember such an occurrence about 10 in-game years ago. Perhaps I traded, crafted, managed towns, did quests, met nobles... or perhaps it was all a dream.

What is this 'not at war' of which you speak? Is that like being perpetually at war, only not? Strange idea. I vaguely remember such an occurrence about 10 in-game years ago. Perhaps I traded, crafted, managed towns, did quests, met nobles... or perhaps it was all a dream.
I've been at peace for two years running ?‍♂️

with one minor exception, when someone declared a ten day war to clear away their tribute payment.

prostitutes in taverns that you can pay for the morale of your army,

Please no. This was the dumbest, most boring, most pointless mechanic in so many mods, and it didn't even make any sense. No general in his right mind would pay out of his own pocket for his soldiers to get laid.

If you're going to put prostitution in a game then at least go the route of the Russian mods where there's a whole cunnilingus minigame and a *** meter. Otherwise it's just yet another pointless timesink you have to do every time you enter a town.

This reminds me of the same 'problem' skyrim smithing has: If you don't level smithing, you stay with poor/bland weapons/equips
I don't want to be forced to be a smith to get variety in weapons
It's the other way around, if you invested in Smithing in Skyrim, you got to make OP weapons, basically breaking the game at high levels. It's better if you do no-smithing/no-enchanting playthroughs where you buy stuff from shops or sometimes get lucky with loot (and the quality of stuff scales with level).

Uhm....while NOT at war? Is that even possible once you enter a faction? Sorry to say so, but I am stuck with the whack-a-mole game of crushing 50-size raiding parties around my castle and sitting out the doom-stack before my liege comes to the rescue. There is no such thing as peacetime in my game although I crave for it. I would trade, quest and whatnot, maybe woe a lady.

*** meter
3WcNeh3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom