SP - General Attack animations and new angles.

Users who are viewing this thread

After spending 500+ hours in Bannerlord.

Wanted to suggest a implementation of more attack angles to make the game more dynamic and rich, at the moment we have (max 4 attack angles) , even less with spears or axes.

I am sure the game can handle way more , at least double the ammount without affecting the whole gameplay to much. (since i am only suggesting changing the attack angles but make them being blocked with the same 4 defend points that the game exist)

(This is what we have now , took as an example the Sword Type , which has 4 attack points)

(This is what i suggest , adding new attack points , triggering the new angles of attack shouldn't be so hard imo , sicne it works from the mouse movement)
About the blocking ,i have two variants just could work for single player

Variant 1
just make the old block positions just block the same angles from their according part.
- E block the NE and SE
- W block the NW and SW

Variant 2

Add new block points according to new attack angles of attack , but keep the old one in touch but with reduced block ammount.
- E block the NE and SE for 75% of the damage (triggering a chamber block)
- W
block the NW and SW for 75% of the damage (triggering a chamber block)
-
NE for NE block for 100% block damage (real block)
- SE
for SE block for 100% block damage (real block)
- NW
for NW block for 100% block damage (real block)
-
SW for SW block for 100% block damage (real block)

SA.png

This just one example made with swords , Other weapons could have more or less then suggested amount (more variations better , since its getting really boring after some time to see the same and the same animations) ( i really want Bannerlord to succeed and bring way more to the table than what Warband did , and don't get me wrong here , i like Warband (mostly for mods like Lotr , Prophesy of Pendor , Old World and many other) and Bannerlord did bring a lot of new features , but i still think we could get a whole new better gameplay mechanics , if compared to old Warband.

Last edited:
The majority of people don't know how to use the right mouse button in even a single direction, good luck trying to get them to use this
Maybe , but Warband/Bannerlord is a game that requires hundred of hours (talking about Single Player Campaigns) , which i am sure people will get at some point into the game when they will realise how to block/attack. (and there is a whole tutorial at the begining of the game too)
(Also a lot of players that are playing Bannerlord , played Warband and its the same regarding the battle mechanic in current state , and learning something new which is almost the same but a bit enchanted wouldn't be so hard for them imo)

In general I am in favor of this type of innovation but only if accompanied by an intuitiveness and naturalness of the controls.
For example I would only choose between 2 options:
1) 4 discrete directions
2) infinite directions with continuity.

1) why 4?
Because they are few and make the fighting action quite readable
In this case the 4 directions are divided into arcs of 90 ° angle, with a nice "X".
Which makes it easy to choose which zone to attack or defend from.

If the directions were 6 or 8, then the X would not be enough and more arcs (6 or :cool: of small angular amplitude would be needed.
This little angular amplitude would lead to a greater increase in errors close to the edges of these arches, so instead of making the parry to the "right", there is a risk of making it "top-right".

2) Why infinite directions but with continuity?
Because the perfect continuity of not making mistakes that are made with a discreet system.
Obviously the parry and impact system of the weapon must be based on the kinematics.
So if the hitboxes collide and the weapons touch each other, the shot is parried.

The system with infinite directions should have a "reading" based on the fact that moving the mouse along a circle, the sword travels the corresponding angle and the line that goes from that angle to the center of the circumference composes the direction of attack and defense.

How would it attach:
lunge: press the left mouse button and release it in less than 5 frames (you must be quick to press in short).
Swings: hold down the left mouse button for more than 5 frames (simple to do), angle the mouse (and the sword follows the movement) and release the button at the desired direction, starting the shot.
defend:
hold down the right button and move the mouse along the same wheel as you have in defense to block shots from that direction.
If the mouse does not move, enemy lunges will be blocked.

Since the sword (and other weapons) is placed "horizontal", the arc of angle from which protection is received is roughly equal to the length of the weapon.

So i prefer infinite direction system .
The fewer keys you use to attack and block, the better is.

The ideal for a game like bannerlord would be VR (infinite directions and obviously in an intuitive way), but you can't have everything in life ... at least until "mount and blade 3: warlord" comes out.

1) why 4?
Because they are few and make the fighting action quite readable
In this case the 4 directions are divided into arcs of 90 ° angle, with a nice "X".
Which makes it easy to choose which zone to attack or defend from.
(This Suggestion is made purely for Single Player purpose , i don't want to mess up with the multi player aspect , since i have no say in that , i played only ~20 hours of multi player and it was a bad experience)
(Since SP has auto block , i guess this wouldn't be a problem to block) (and again i suggested 2 ways to achieve the block mechanic)
(Infinite would be good , though i don't know if this is achievable)

(This Suggestion is made purely for Single Player purpose , i don't want to mess up with the multi player aspect , since i have no say in that , i played only ~20 hours of multi player and it was a bad experience)
(Since SP has auto block , i guess this wouldn't be a problem to block) (and again i suggested 2 ways to achieve the block mechanic)
(Infinite would be good , though i don't know if this is achievable)
I was referring to single player. Usually my proposals are valid for both game modes and the ones I write are all linked together by the fact that one proposal tends to add balances over another.
The need to separate them in balancing the game between singleplayer and multiplayer is due both to an erroneous subdivision of the game with different structures, and to the inability to be able to solve the problems of both modes with the same solution.
And often the solution is there, only that it requires rethinking a game mode, a mechanic or adding a mechanic that can be used as an additional leverage.

Between the two systems I prefer the one with infinite directions, which in reality is more easily manageable and to balance, as well as guaranteeing maximum depth to the combat and with greater consistency of the controls.

Back
Top Bottom