New Rig Advice And Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

After some thought, I've decided to get a new gaming rig rather than upgrade.
I am on the fence about buying parts and assembling my own custom computer or buying an already assembled one.
I have some friends that are giving me feedback on this, but just wanted some input from bannerlord players on a couple of things:
(1) For those of you getting great performance(max battle size, max graphics, no stuttering, fast loads, etc: What are the specs of your machine? GPU, SSD, HDD, processor, OS, air cool, liquid cool..
(2) Is having only an ssd, no hdd, ok if only 500gb? I mean for general gaming, not only bannerlord.
(3) AMD or Intel? Radeon or Nvidia?(all specs being, more or less, equal)
(4) I have replaced ram/upgraded ram, replaced hdd, replaced power supply..stuff like that before. Should I attempt to buy parts and assemble a custom machine? FYI: leaning towards 500gb-1tb ssd, liquid cooling.
(5) Are there any common pitfalls/problems in assembling machine, for a first timer?

Sheesh, I'd 100% advice the PCbuilding subreddit. They can give solid advice or have already given solid builds for any type of game.

For what it's worth, I got my PC built a month ago, mostly for Cities Skylines in mind, but Bannerlord also performs.

GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
CPU: i5-10600KF
MB: Z490
SSD: 240GB Kingston
RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200

Loading times are insanely fast. And the GTX 1050 Ti is more then fine, you really dont need more, keep in mind that Bannerlord is already 8 years old (:cry:).

Other than that, just buy whatevers in your price range. My personal advice: Get someone to assemble it or order it one a pre-assembly site. I've seen too many videos where cooling paste gets applied ON the CPU and I know myself, I'm an idiot, I'd **** it up.

Reading back, not exactly solid advice, but I've come this far, I'm gonna post it.
Cheers.

The DLSS really kicks in well with Bannerlord, having a 2070RTX paid off well.
The only "big" things you need to think about is getting compatible Mainboard/CPU combination and enough power supply, and also thats pretty important just get a big tower its really annoying if its too small or just fitting.

first of all i want to say that prices arent good right now especially gpus unless u in germany i sow they got some decent prices , to the point u gonna need a very fast sinlge core cpu else gpu wont work full power speically on bannerlord as i noticed ofc must always be good combo so i would suggest

motherboard for amd :[pick cheapest u can find , ordered from best to worst ] b550 aorus master / b550 gaming edge wifi / b550 tomahawk / b550-F gaming / b550 E-gaming / b550 extreme4 / b550 mortar / b550 gaming carbon wifi / b550 aorus pro

Note : u can also use b450 motherboards but most likley u gonna need a bios update which require an older cpu but i am pretty sure many tech shos would agree to do it for u idk at what cost but b 550 work out of box

cpu : r5 5600x[6cores 300$] /5900x[12 cores 550$] both pretty strong and they have almost u can say same performance with 12 core part being more future proof for other games if u wonder why i didnt pick 5800x because for 450$ with 50% less cores then 5900x it is a scam

ram : 3200mhz cl 16 corsair vengance or anything decent no need send lot on fancy rgb ram that wont do u any good

gpu : [very expensive right now but i will put my take on how much max u should pay] : rtx 3060ti msrp 400$ max u should pay 570$ , rtx 3070msrp 500$ max 670$ , rx 6700xt msrp 470$ max 640$ , rtx 3060 msrp 330$ max 420$ , rtx 2060 max 280$ , rtx 2070 or rtx 2060super max 360$ , rtx 2070super or rtx 2080 or rtx 2080super max 450$-500$ , rx 5700xt max 450$ , rx 5700 max 350$ .

psu : reputable brand psu is a must have like seasonic , evga , coolermaster , thermaltake ..ect get a 650-750w 80+ gold depend on gpu but dont worry even 650w is enough for any pick from here make sure it is is from reputable brand and got good rating gold or platinum

case : as u like , keep in mind thermals

..... if u want intel which might turn out to be the better option for the money right now if they are priced in ur area as follow compared to amd parts u need only change motherboard and cpu and rest will work with both systems

cpu : i5 11400f if it is around 160$ mark very strong cpu not as fast as 5600x but it is pretty close and cost half as much
i9 10850k if u can find below 380$ , beast cpu that got 10 cores and perform very close to 5600x but the extra cores will become handy in future.

motherboards for intel :[pick cheapest u can find , ordered from best to worst ] : B560M Aorus pro / B560M Bazooka / B560M Pro-VDH Wifi / B560M Tomahawk

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
I think I'll just do a custom order, and have newegg assemble it. The info. above will help me make the right choices and spend on the components that count.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
I think I'll just do a custom order, and have newegg assemble it. The info. above will help me make the right choices and spend on the components that count.
where do u live and what is your budget i might help you choose components , again keep in mind year from now whatever u pay for this computer i might be able to get 3 times better computer for the same price

After some thought, I've decided to get a new gaming rig rather than upgrade.
I am on the fence about buying parts and assembling my own custom computer or buying an already assembled one.
I have some friends that are giving me feedback on this, but just wanted some input from bannerlord players on a couple of things:
(1) For those of you getting great performance(max battle size, max graphics, no stuttering, fast loads, etc: What are the specs of your machine? GPU, SSD, HDD, processor, OS, air cool, liquid cool..
(2) Is having only an ssd, no hdd, ok if only 500gb? I mean for general gaming, not only bannerlord.
(3) AMD or Intel? Radeon or Nvidia?(all specs being, more or less, equal)
(4) I have replaced ram/upgraded ram, replaced hdd, replaced power supply..stuff like that before. Should I attempt to buy parts and assemble a custom machine? FYI: leaning towards 500gb-1tb ssd, liquid cooling.
(5) Are there any common pitfalls/problems in assembling machine, for a first timer?First of all
First of all what is your desired performance ? 1080p, ultra, 60 FPS? 1440p, ultra, 60 FPS? More than that (You need high refresh monitor for more FPS, you can upscale 1080P monitor to 1440p resolution for increased sharpness etc)? What is your budget and country, some countries are notoriosly expensive (Australia for example).

You dont have to build your own CPU, many companies that sell separate computer parts can build you custom computer from your chosen parts for few Euros, often they can even give you advice. Just avoid big brand pre made computers, they are generally garbage (overheating, reduced upgradability, bloatware pre installed etc).

Go for air cooling, liquid is much more expensive for little to no gain and much higher risk of critical failure.

As for my spec: Vega 56 (overclocked, so 2060Super or 5600 XT level of performance), i5-9600K, 16 GB ram (3200/16), 1,5 tera SSD both standard (samsung 860 evo) and nvme2 (viper M.2 VPN100) and HDD too, MSI Z370-A pro MOBO. SSD is really huge difference from HDD, you dont need anything fancy, but I would recommend 1tera or more if you play more than one game or if you dont want to reainstall stuff often.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom