Spears feel weak and unsatisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Willie

Recruit
As a new player I was excited to get in game and use one of my favourite weapons, the simple spear. after playing about 8 hours and all if ever done is charge on horseback at looters, the spear felt.... meh. Surely a horseman charging a guy with at best a leather or cloth vest would do SIGNIFICANT damage? Its not easy to turn round and get another charge off unless you go galloping off for a few mins and turn around, but this attack only seemed to take them down to half health at best.

Ok so what about the spear infantrymen... oh dear... attacks feel slow and weak and you cant keep an enemy at range, a swordsman can run in and slash left and right wildly until you are dead, but the act of drawing back the spear to make a thrust is slow, couldn't this be balanced by allowing them to do more damage? Once an enemy walks inside your "minimum range" of the spear its hard to hit them again anyway and off they go doing their slice and dice combo of wildly flaying left and right.

This feels awful and I think I may drop all further use of the spear in favour of the sword which is a real shame because historically spears are very good. I refuse to believe a weapon that has been used since the dawn of mankind by people all over the world is bad. But sadly they are in this game. :sad:

Polearm on horseback is actually not too bad IMO, takes some time to get used to, but the pay off is there. On foot however, the polearm is definitely sorely lacking. I would argue that they should allow polearm users to swing spears around IF 2 handed. Allow the player the option to risk not utilising a shield for a change of attacking patterns. Now this is only available for halberds, but there's no reason for short spears (not lances) to not have this option imo.

Ok so what about the spear infantrymen... oh dear... attacks feel slow and weak and you cant keep an enemy at range, a swordsman can run in and slash left and right wildly until you are dead, but the act of drawing back the spear to make a thrust is slow, couldn't this be balanced by allowing them to do more damage? Once an enemy walks inside your "minimum range" of the spear its hard to hit them again anyway and off they go doing their slice and dice combo of wildly flaying left and right.
S key, aim the spear over to the left or right as you swing and then finish the swing aiming at the enemy, and use kicks. Its not that hard.

Spears on horseback look and feel ****ing stupid anyway just use a lance. If you want a good spear as infantry, go play Warband.
Also might wanna try the realistic battle mod.

Last edited:
Spears are pretty sucky, opponent smothers you with short range weapon and it's basically ineffective. However the polearm branch excels with glaives, both mounted and foot. Best when you craft them, approx 120cm for foot, 155cm general purpose and a 200+ mounted. I crafted a 235cm glaive that slices infantry spearmen while staying out of their range.

Last edited:
I dont want to shill my mod but...
If you had some MCM settings, I would probably play with Combat, but as it is, Combat changes "too much" for my taste, and it's hidden from me what's being changed. Also, the spear-hand-placement changes are jarring after 500 hours in Native.

But AI is on my must-have list, and your expertise is irreplaceable.

If you had some MCM settings, I would probably play with Combat, but as it is, Combat changes "too much" for my taste, and it's hidden from me what's being changed. Also, the spear-hand-placement changes are jarring after 500 hours in Native.

But AI is on my must-have list, and your expertise is irreplaceable.
If you are into reading code, all is on github.

I said this many times and I'll say it again, if you don't fix the animations you won't fix the problem.

do you really think they play their game, the pommel is not even done yet
that's the problem with Game Development in recent years. they work too much and DONT PLAY THEIR OWN GAMES.

i mean When i worked at this michelin level restaurant. the only thing our head chef did was taste food, and then make comments telling us what to do, in 2 years i don't think i've seen him cook once. imagine if the head developer of Bannerlord clocks 50-60 hours of gameplay per week... He'd personally make sure all the annoying problems are fixed

they work too much and DONT PLAY THEIR OWN GAMES.
Jebas christ don't say that... shhhh ?
I know what you mean but I think devs are well aware of the issues, they just for some reason have different priorities...

that's the problem with Game Development in recent years. they work too much and DONT PLAY THEIR OWN GAMES.

i mean When i worked at this michelin level restaurant. the only thing our head chef did was taste food, and then make comments telling us what to do, in 2 years i don't think i've seen him cook once. imagine if the head developer of Bannerlord clocks 50-60 hours of gameplay per week... He'd personally make sure all the annoying problems are fixed
It is fine that the project manager/studio head knows about the product, of course. However here, the project manager is in fact paying 25 QA testers (plausible -according to the game credits) so that besides the task of seek & destroy bugs, they "test" the game as the end-user would do...

giphy.gif

or so it is assumed. :iamamoron: ?

It is fine that the project manager/studio head knows about the product, of course. However here, the project manager is in fact paying 25 QA testers (plausible -according to the game credits) so that besides the task of seek & destroy bugs, they "test" the game as the end-user would do...

giphy.gif

or so it is assumed. :iamamoron: ?
Do they test fun too? Cause they have all failed

1.) There should be no long wind-up animation before a thrust.
2.) There should be no minimum distance from which you can deal damage. (meaning theres no such thing as "too close").
3.) Spears should have the largest parry hitbox to make it easy to simulate knocking a spear off its target trajectory with a defensive slash to the weapon. (Someone thrusts a spear at you but you knock it aside with your sword.)
4.) This should have been fixed years ago, but it wont ever be changed because the devs want to avoid spears being the best possible weapon due to how effective they would be as a result of the changes mentioned above.

Last edited:
this tip:
1)JOINT HURTBOXES and ARMOR HURTBOXES: an armor system that provide a way to balance factions warfare and make more deep the combat system(suggestions)
plus these other 2:
2) with the spears you can perform lunges from 4 directions (high, right, left and low lunge).
Furthermore, when attacking, you must ensure that the character aims comfortably in such a way that everything that the spear can reach is a target to hit (if deemed useful to hit it).

3) The lances must be "deflected" and not "blocked".
In practical terms, the physics of the game are used:
If during the blocking animation the weapon he is blocking with hits the spear's hitbox before the spear lunge hits, then the lunge is deflected.
Otherwise it hits.

4) reduction of the delay in the animation times of the attacks, especially and mainly in the lunges, which for a matter of physics and inertia, compared to the game animations, should be the fastest attacks.

5) Finally the last suggestion which is about a movement mechanic that would make life easier both for those who use a spear and for those who are against a warrior with a spear (and also against archers or for an archer against a melee unit. body):
NON-SPAMABLE DIRECTIONAL STEP-DODGE new mechanics suggestion

Consequences:
introducing 1:
- deeper, more intuitive, realistic and immersive combat system.
- armor that works as in reality or almost, since the balance no longer occurs only by modifying the armor value, but by means of the size and number of hurtboxes that cannot be covered by armor.

Introducing 2:
Attacks have a predictability that is on a par with other weapons (since there are 4 directions).
With more comfortable aiming it is easier to aim and hit those exposed enemy points, although they are small and not very exposed (in case they are heavily protected).

introducing 3:
Spears become fearsome in close combat against those without a shield, as "parrying a lunge" would be difficult but not impossible.
You get a lunge from the right, then parry to the right when the lunge is about to come.
If you can parry well (like good timing), the lunge doesn't hit.
Otherwise, simple damage reduction could be applied if the weapon is "nearly deflected" while being hit.
In this way the spear is formidable in close combat.

Introducing 4)
There are no very slow spears.

Introducing 5)
More dynamic but still realistic and immersive combat.
The mechanics used in the direction and towards facing the enemy, combined with a shot with a shield or in any case to the button of the kick, could make you perform a shoulder or a push that increases the distance between the two and breath.
It is a mechanic used to get away a little, but quickly (and without somersaults or similar nonsense).
It is designed to dodge some blows that would just hurt us, or to increase the distance a little, but quickly.
It is not spam and spamming it is counterproductive, in the thread you can read why.

This is my suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom