What MUST be changed in BANNERLORD !

Users who are viewing this thread

The video would've been fine if it was included as an afterthought in a well-constructed post rather than trying to immediately shove the video down everybody's throats. That comes across as disingenuous and a cheap scheme to get clicks and views.

If this is what first comes to mind when you think about the game's flaws, then you've got some problems.
As I said, seriously, I love this game as it is, I'm sorry that my positive opinion about this game doesn't fit into the narrative, but for some people the game is fine, for me is. Of course there is always room for further improvement, like remove the female warriors and lords.

@CaptainFracas in this forum there are many, many topics where we not only point out the flaws, but in some cases we even present solutions and amazing features that are missing in game. But unfortunately we're all hostage to slow game development and lack of expressive content.
I'm doing my best to give feedbacks and to show what I'm talking about by providing everything in a video. This is the best way I can give feedbacks as I am dyslexic and that the text support is not the best for me. I'm just trying to do my part of the feedback process, to do my best for my favorite game. If Taleworlds do not take the time to take a look at it... Then I would have tried...

The people on this forum are so saturated with these repetitive feedbacks that the only way to stay sane is make jokes, memes and comments with sarcasm. Don't blame them. They spent a lot of time here, trying to change something. I also harbor some hope until the final version is delivered, I've already made some suggestions, and I come to this forum to check if we have any positive feedback. But not...

Do what you think you should do. Good luck.
Yes, that's why I was hesitating in gating more involve in this forum. But now I've made my chose and putted work into this. If no one cares about about the feedbacks I'm giving, at least I won't be frustrated that I said nothing when it was the time. (if it's not too late).
Thanks !

The video would've been fine if it was included as an afterthought in a well-constructed post rather than trying to immediately shove the video down everybody's throats. That comes across as disingenuous and a cheap scheme to get clicks and views.
As I said in the first post everything is in the video. I'm dyslexic , so posting long messages in my non native language is not a easy task for me. I didn't planned at all that most of the people posting on this thread wouldn't even take a moment to listen to what I'm saying in the video before posting. The video is the post for me...

As a summary of the video was needed it seems, I edited the first post to add one. (y)

Just go watch anime and let adults talk pls
They are completely right. There have been hundreds, if not thousands, of constructive criticism posts since the closed beta. People like Noudelle literally worked their ass off to make TW change things during the closed beta but their posts got ignored every single time. After the launch there were really good constructive criticism posts too, but most of the posts got ignored or suggested to leads but refused. Only really minor feature/change requests were accepted. So yeah..

How do I take back my view so he doesn't get somebody else's money? (JK i would never watch a video alleging BL isn't anything but immaculate, and 2nd I would never watch a video)

EDIT:
Also, can we ban him?

Hello there,

Since when you should have credibility on a forum to express yourself. How do you know he only play multiplayer or singleplayer (If you think forum posts is relative to time played, your wrong)? And the question isn't even that. Someone with 1 hour on single player can have a good argument on something. I only see in your post a desire to be unpleasant, or a completely distorted view of reality.
Dont you know he is the Gatekeeper of this forum? He has over 10 years of experience of not being taken seriously by the devs so now he devotes his remaining time to shutting down any opnion that is not in line

I'm not clicking a video with someone's "hysterical" face on it, I'm not 12 anymore.
As people said, anything you could possibly say was already said many times on this forum and illustrated with long game mechanics posts, pictures and videos made by the suffering fans. Since you probably only play MP, you may be ignorant of what was going on with SP all this time. So, no clicky for you CaptainFace.
Now if you had established forum credibility with knowledgeable posts and good judgement, I might have had a look at what you say. But no, your forum activity is almost all about MP and then there is this. (lol)
Imagine spending 303 days of your life on a forum discussing a video game

- Distance troops need 2 new orders: 1 - Being able to select a enemie formation to shoot at. 2 - A "shoot at my command" order would give a real depth to the commandment of the skirmishers and of the crossbowman's.
Both these ideas have been discussed ad nauseam on this forum and most on here agree they should be added but so far TW hasn't done anything about it. Either it's very far down the priority list that we won't see anything like this soon, or they don't think it's important.
- Shield walls are not effective when retreating: Troops needs to always look in the new direction that the player is ordering when they are in shield wall. If the formation is in line the troops must always go as fast as possible to the new position that the player is ordering without facing a specific direction during movement.
You could've said shield walls need to be more effective and left it there because atm they're terrible. The second part to this I'm going to have to disagree if you're ordering a retreat your troops (especially in a shield wall they should be facing the enemy unless you specifically order them to turn to a direction. A tactical retreat doesn't mean run like hell, it means back out of the battlefield or try to move to a more advantageous position. A full retreat or a rout means get the hell out as fast as possible. If you're keeping your troops in a shield wall and retreating then I figure you're talking about a tactical retreat.
- Siege ladders must be fixed and troops not being able to reach and hit the door is a problem too. Is there a big siege update coming up we don't know about ?
This has been a problem since day 1 of ea. People have been begging to have this fixed and TW says they're working on it but either it's too tough for them to fix or they're not really working on it.
- Transfer troops order is great but it must be expand as right now it is not enough readable and not efficient enough. We should me able to manage specific types of troops/classes too. For exemple we should be able to split shield infantry and shock infantry (2h troops)
Again splitting troop formations is something that has been asked for many times but I seriously doubt TW really cares about this. If it gets done it's only going to be by modders.

Imho this is the kind of post you should've made at first. This sparks discussion without forcing people to sit through a video.

Here is a video I made with the objective of giving feedback to Taleworlds on what I think needs to change in Bannerlord
This thread exists with the purpose of creating a space where everyone can give what according to him MUST change in the game before its release
The video is in French but has ENGLISH subtitles !
All the informations are in the video:

-------
EDIT: Here is a little summary of what's in the video:
- I'm only talking about the commandment of the troops in this video as this is the thing at what I'm the most skilled.
- Distance troops need 2 new orders: 1 - Being able to select a ennemie formation to shoot at. 2 - A "shoot at my command" order would give a real depth to the commandment of the skirmishers and of the crossbowman's.
- Shield walls are not effective when retreating: Troops needs to always look in the new direction that the player is ordering when they are in shield wall. If the formation is in line the troops must always go as fast as possible to the new position that the player is ordering without facing a specific direction during movement.
- Siege ladders must be fixed and troops not being able to reach and hit the door is a problem too. Is there a big siege update coming up we don't know about ?
- Transfer troops order is great but it must be expand as right now it is not enough readable and not efficient enough. We should me able to manage specific types of troops/classes too. For exemple we should be able to split shield infantry and shock infantry (2h troops)

This video will be followed with a part 2 because there is more to say on the commandment of the troops
-------

And you ? What do you think must be changed in Bannerlord

Our goal is that ranged AI should be able to make these decisions and choose their own target effectively without the player needing to do this level of micromanagement. I know that some people prefer to play as a general and would prefer to have much greater control over every aspect of the battle, and the popularity of mods like the RTS camera show this. However, one of the core ideas of Mount & Blade is that you are just a person dropped into this world, and you lead and fight alongside your troops in the battles as your player character. A question arises about how you would select an enemy formation for your ranged troops to shoot at seeing as we don't have any similar mechanic like that in the game, meaning that it would need an entirely new design and everything that comes along with that. However, I will of course forward the suggestion to the team.

As for a shoot at my command option, we do have a command for "Hold Fire" and "Fire at will" (the F4 key) that prevents or allows the use of ranged weapons.

For retreating shield walls, did you try the "Fallback" command? This will keep them in formation facing the enemy while they take steps backwards (F1 > F5).

We are aware of the issues with siege ladders and are currently working on a fix for them. Likewise, we are aware of issues with attackers not attacking the second gate in some scenes, or otherwise changing their priority to move to ladders even after breaking through the first gate. Likewise, we are working on a solution for this.

I know this isn't what you are suggesting, but as a solution that could work for you right now: have you tried organising your troops into different formations from the Party screen in the campaign map before entering a battle. This would allow you to split those troops into their own command groups (at the expense of other troop types I guess). And of course, I will forward the request for greater control/more options when it comes to splitting formations in battles.

Our goal is that ranged AI should be able to make these decisions and choose their own target effectively without the player needing to do this level of micromanagement. I know that some people prefer to play as a general and would prefer to have much greater control over every aspect of the battle, and the popularity of mods like the RTS camera show this. However, one of the core ideas of Mount & Blade is that you are just a person dropped into this world, and you lead and fight alongside your troops in the battles as your player character. A question arises about how you would select an enemy formation for your ranged troops to shoot at seeing as we don't have any similar mechanic like that in the game, meaning that it would need an entirely new design and everything that comes along with that. However, I will of course forward the suggestion to the team.

As for a shoot at my command option, we do have a command for "Hold Fire" and "Fire at will" (the F4 key) that prevents or allows the use of ranged weapons.

For retreating shield walls, did you try the "Fallback" command? This will keep them in formation facing the enemy while they take steps backwards (F1 > F5).

We are aware of the issues with siege ladders and are currently working on a fix for them. Likewise, we are aware of issues with attackers not attacking the second gate in some scenes, or otherwise changing their priority to move to ladders even after breaking through the first gate. Likewise, we are working on a solution for this.

I know this isn't what you are suggesting, but as a solution that could work for you right now: have you tried organising your troops into different formations from the Party screen in the campaign map before entering a battle. This would allow you to split those troops into their own command groups (at the expense of other troop types I guess). And of course, I will forward the request for greater control/more options when it comes to splitting formations in battles.
Why focus fire should be a top priority and implemented immediately.

It would be quite easy actually, you would simply use a circular indicator with a flag in the middle similar to the "move to position" command, at the center of this circle could be an invisible "entity" that takes priority over all other targets when a group is ordered to "focus fire". Instead of the ai targeting the closest unit detected, prioritize this invisible entity and the archers will instead start shooting at it. This is the cause of serious exploits and I think that there are many other games similar to mount and blade that already achieve this functionality without much difficulty.

Why focus fire should be a top priority and implemented immediately.

It would be quite easy actually, you would simply use a circular indicator with a flag in the middle similar to the "move to position" command, at the center of this circle could be an invisible "entity" that takes priority over all other targets when a group is ordered to "focus fire". Instead of the ai targeting the closest unit detected, prioritize this invisible entity and the archers will instead start shooting at it. This is the cause of serious exploits and I think that there are many other games similar to mount and blade that already achieve this functionality without much difficulty.

I've added this thread to the feedback.

[...]
[...]
Third time I've quoted you today, sorry. However, if you take a minute of your time to watch this video you will see how well the fallback command works :iamamoron: (since the beta malfunctioned :roll:). +info here.

Third time I've quoted you today, sorry. However, if you take a minute of your time to watch this video you will see how well the fallback command works :iamamoron: (since the beta malfunctioned :roll:). +info here.

Hmm, I tested it just before making my reply to be certain how it works and had different results lol. However, after further testing now with just the formation and no enemies closeby I can see they turn around to fallback rather than keeping facing the enemy and walking backwards. However, with an enemy close to them they do keep facing the enemy while falling back, providing the enemy isn't too close. It looks like it could possibly be an oversight or simply a bug, and certainly doesn't feel like intended behaviour to me. In your example video, it does seem that the fallback command is being overridden in some part when it comes to the defending AI engaging and fighting rather than continuing to fall back.

I will make sure it is included in our player feedback report and also forward the video you shared directly with the dev responsible for battle AI.

I feel like it'll make battles more fun and more strategic with the focus fire option. For those of you who did not watch the video from the OP, he showed a typical charge for infantry and archers firing at will, (where both troops attacked the closest units), and comparing it with using focus fire to attack specific troops. Archers on a wall fired at the shield wall that was on standby, doing no harm, in front of his archers, whereas the enemy archers were attacking his archers from the side, which they were not reacting to it (besides dying).

Focus fire would be beneficial as players can control where there troops would attack, for example. ordering cavalry to focus to attack archers, while having your infantry to attack the enemy cav or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom