Am I the only person that wants unit homogenization?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm tired of scrolling through my party page of 100 different types of troops from all major and minor factions and i'm tired of every lord in the game collecting a rag tag bunch of troops regardless of their culture.

here's a suggestion for a mod: Unit Homogenization. which allows all your troops to be upgraded to a same tier same class troop of your personal culture or your kingdom culture. like a Legionnaire would be able to "upgrade" to a Darkkhan if you are Khuzait. and for a lower tier troop. they'll have the option to turn into your culture's upgrade or keep as their original culture.

Just because you're lazy doesn't mean everyone else is, as archaicwarrior said there's nothing stopping you from only recruiting 2-3 types of troops also I'm not sure why npc lords having different troop types is that big of a deal to you.

I'm not sure why npc lords having different troop types is that big of a deal to you.
Even in 2021's all inclusive culture. Armies have a basic requirement of uniform and nationality.

or simply, it's just aesthetically displeasing to be fighting with and against random groups of every kind of soldiers.
Just because you're lazy doesn't mean everyone else is
aren't u just making assumptions now? i already micro manage not my own troops but all the troops in my companion parties and the army i'm leading via troop donation to party leader in towns. I'm literally hand picking troops numbering in the thousands. even still. the control over allied lords is extremely limited and there's nothing stopping my enemies from being nonuniform

I agree to an extent! Only certein factions should be able to recruit units of other cultures. Like The empire can recruit troops from other cultures except Batanian ones due to batanian people hating the empire. Something like this using lore explanations for the factions. Merc units should be available to recruited for all factions though.

I think by limiting recruitment to units from an Ai lords culture or the players culture it would actually be a good way to introduce a little more gameplay variety for different playthroughs. The recent changes to cultural perks were a great start to this, but if we further limit the players recruitment to units within their own culture this will mean that your army composition also has a unique play style as each faction has its own different strengths and weaknesses as far as units are concerned. I'm not too much a fan of the multi-cultural armies, because typically I fall into the same old trap of recruiting the best possible units from each different culture just because I can and my army compositions typically remain the same throughout each different playthrough that I do. The player of course can always choose to do this himself/herself but I think it is worth considering an actual limitation being implemented in this regard to otherwise "force" us into having a more varied campaign experience.

I would draw parallels to civilization 5 where each different faction has a few special units that only they have access to, this adds a feeling of more differentiation between playthroughs so that my playthrough as Catherine of Russia is different from my playthrough as Hiawatha of the Iroquois because of these special units. The same thing can be applied if Khuzait cultured players/lords were the only ones able to recruit Khans Guards for example or Imperial cultured players/lords being the only ones able to recruit Legionaries.

An interesting gameplay mechanic that could result from this change would be that recruiting lords /defecting lords from different cultures into different kingdoms would introduce a cultural variety within your armies as they would bring their cultures units into the new kingdom giving you an incentive to perhaps persuade lords from different cultures to join your kingdom if you still want access to their units.

None of the factions play all that differently though, except Khuzaits.
I would like to see maybe some additional stat adjustments to make it reflect something like this:
(This is just my opinion on what I feel that each faction/culture should specialize in.)

Sturgia: Best Shock Infantry / Weakest Heavy Cavalry
Vlandia: Best Heavy Cavalry / Weakest Spearmen
Empire: Best Heavy Infantry / Weakest Archers
Battania: Best Archers / Weakest Heavy Infantry
Khuzait: Best Horse Archers / Weakest Shock Infantry
Aserai: Best Spearmen / Weakest Horse Archers

These of course could be changed to better reflect the cultures they represent and could also be balanced better depending on your opinion, this is just to illustrate that these specializations could in fact result in different playstyles if done correctly.

I would like to see maybe some additional stat adjustments to make it reflect something like this:
(This is just my opinion on what I feel that each faction/culture should specialize in.)

Sturgia: Best Shock Infantry / Weakest Heavy Cavalry
Vlandia: Best Heavy Cavalry / Weakest Spearmen
Empire: Best Heavy Infantry / Weakest Archers
Battania: Best Archers / Weakest Heavy Infantry
Khuzait: Best Horse Archers / Weakest Shock Infantry
Aserai: Best Spearmen / Weakest Horse Archers

These of course could be changed to better reflect the cultures they represent and could also be balanced better depending on your opinion, this is just to illustrate that these specializations could in fact result in different playstyles if done correctly.
I don't personally think the individual distinctions between shock infantry, heavy infantry and spearmen matter enough to make their usage different in practice. Players employ them as generic all-around infantry, at least at the party sizes we see in-game currently. Maybe that isn't strictly optimal but the AI can barely manage so it leaves battles feeling really same-y unless you discipline yourself to stick to a certain set of tactics.

Obviously horses change the game entirely though!

I don't personally think the individual distinctions between shock infantry, heavy infantry and spearmen matter enough to make their usage different in practice. Players employ them as generic infantry, at least at the party sizes we see in-game currently.
Weird, I must be in the minority group of players then because I make individual formations for each different unit type. I usually bind any Shock Troops to the 5 formation slot, and Spearmen to the 6 formation slot for example so that I can use them for different purposes and be able to position them accordingly and separately from my Heavy Infantry. This probably stems from my years as a Total War enthusiast, but I personally prefer playing this way.

I'm actually really disappointed by the fact that we are limited to (8?) formation slots because I would like to even further separate my units, as i'm not afraid to micro them during battle and I quite enjoy the process of unit management.

Weird, I must be in the minority group of players then because I make individual formations for each different unit type. I usually bind any Shock Troops to the 5 formation slot, and Spearmen to the 6 formation slot for example so that I can use them for different purposes and be able to position them accordingly and separately from my Heavy Infantry. This probably stems from my years as a Total War enthusiast, but I personally prefer playing this way.
I did that too, last year, when I had an Aserai playthrough with mostly foot troops and before their armor was rebalanced or they had mainline archers. It worked and it was good but it wasn't really worth the effort in the end.

I'm actually really disappointed by the fact that we are limited to (8?) formation slots because I would like to even further separate my units, as i'm not afraid to micro them during battle and I quite enjoy the process of unit management.
i think the majority of Bannerlord players favor the f1 f3 approach to tactics. personally i think the RTS cam mod is a god send

I like the idea from Jud As Bellum.mod. You can hire all troops from your culture but only weak versions and mercenaries from other cultures. It's more realistic that way and forces You to compensate your faction weaknesses with tactic.

You are definitely not the only person who is tired of this. A lot of the different troops are basically the same, only with slightly different equipment. For example I don't see the point in every culture having their own caravan guard in two (if I remember correctly) tiers.
And there are other ways of addressing the issue, if we don't want to limit the availability of some troops for the player. I would personaly replace militia troops with tier 2 and tier 3 troops of the faction, or just make them upgradable.

It's annoying when you take a bunch of land, say all the khuzait land, then khuzaits are still grazing your land recruiting anyways forever. And everyone come to your land too, like it's recruit-mart because you're not all messed up and wartorn. Then everybody has all these crappy tribal horsemen forever.

It also annoying how many empire recruit villages there are.

I'd love the ability to replace notables with another culture and also to forbid other clans from recruiting form my fiefs. Imagine taking more and more land actually having an effect like pushing all the AI away and making them all compete for the same recruits elsewhere. it's be almost like strategy n stuff.

we don't want to limit the availability of some troops for the player.
the suggestion was never to limit options but to provide options

allowing your tier 5 legionary to upgrade into a tier 5 Dark Khan and vice versa imo should be part of the base game. so i have the option to unify my army instead of having to get rid of my legionaries to be replaced by khuzaid recruits and slowly level up to tier 5

It's annoying when you take a bunch of land, say all the khuzait land, then khuzaits are still grazing your land recruiting anyways forever. And everyone come to your land too, like it's recruit-mart because you're not all messed up and wartorn.
exactly, just because i'm temporarily not at war with them. doesn't mean i'm cool with them sucking up my future troops that i'll need to demolish them. also, do AI lords suffer recruitment penalty from having poor relation with the village notables? i think not but maybe

I still don't get why gradual cultural change of fiefs isn't part of the game. I'd even settle for auxiliary troops, like when taking an Empire town as Battania. The troops at that former Empire town will be Battanian with some Empire influences. This would apply to every land grab. This would however take much more time and effort as all possible combinations have to have full fletched troop trees (or maybe give the player the ability to customise such troops). Whereas fiefs converting to the owner culture, and thus the recruits completely as well, should not be that hard to implement.

I hate to see the circus of armies being a patchwork of troops from across Calradia. Prohibiting other kingdoms to recruit from fiefs that are not owned by their kingdom should also be standard (not for the player). This would've also been a fix for the endless roaming and recruiting by fiefless cockroach kingdoms,

Back
Top Bottom