SP - General Some suggestion about bandit hideouts

Users who are viewing this thread

bfmsc

Recruit
Hi, everyone
As the recent update deployed just two days ago, there is a new feature about bandit hideouts: they now have influence on settlements, a -2 penalty on security. to me that's reasonable but it also brings an issue: NPCs won't clear hideouts, that means settlements controlled by NPCs will take that penalty forever unless player clear them. which is unreasonable, also what can be and should be improved compared to M&B: warband. So, after some thinking, I have some suggestion on hideout system to share with community and developers. Here I will post two version of my so called "plan" on improve bandit hideout systems, a "minor fixes" version and an "expand" version.

"Minor-fixes" version
This version focus on spend less time and resource to improved the current situation, also the base logic of the both plan is posted here , here's the detail:

NPC lords may also clear hideouts affecting their settlements, the possibility of that action is depend on a base probability value and following factors:
a.The current security value of such settlement. If a settlement's security value is low and or decreasing rapidly , NPC lords will clear hideouts more actively.
b.The category of settlement. NPC lords are more likely to clear hideouts near cities, because cities donate more money for them and may launch rebellion against them.
c.The time passed after the hideout spawned, the NPC lords are more likely to clear out a hideout terrorizing locals for years than for days.
d.The current status of the faction, NPC lords are more likely to clear hideouts during peace time. the more faction their faction are having war with, the less likely they clear hideouts(they must focus on the war with another kingdom rather than mere bandits )
e.For the clearing hideout missions, the NPCs won't clear those target hideouts before the mission failed.
f.some character traits.

So, here we got an example: an NPC lord find a bandit hideout near a city he controlled, what happen in his "brain" is (note all number posted here are just for example, not for actual game code):
the settlement it affecting's security value is a bit high with a value of 70 (-10%) and still improving slowly (-10%)
the settlement it affecting is a city(+10%)
the hideout was there for 42 days (+30%)
peace time(+20%)
the lord is a brave(+10%) and good(+10%) person
The result is 60%, plus base value of 10%, which means this lord have 70% possibility to take action against the hideout.

"Expand" version
This version focus on expanding the current bandit hideout system based on the basic logic of the "minor fixes" version.

According to the game texts, the bandit hideouts are usually abandoned fort, hidden Fjord, forest maze, concealed desert caves, etc, which is good for hiding and can sustain life for a small party, these are not only good for outlaws to hide, but also a good base of operation for scouting or raiding operations conduct by lords and generals. so, here's what I'm thinking:

1.After a successful hideout assault, you or NPC lords can choose to change it into an outpost with following functions:
a.Outposts will respawn a limited mount of scouting and raiding parties made of "scout" troopers with unique upgrading line. They are light armored soliders with horses, fast in both tactic and strategy scale.Those party have following stances:
patrolling: the scouting party will patrolling the region, capturing bandits and bring prisoners back to the hideout or nearby settlements( the choice is yours) (I don't know if bandits can respawn from just thin air, so this may be useless)
raiding: during war time, scouting parties belongs to outposts deep in enemy territory or in border can be set on "raiding" stance, in this stance they will attack enemy villagers even caravans, which will generate gold to the outpost owners and reduce the security value for the target enemy settlement like the bandit hideout, but be careful in this stance the outposts are more likely to be spotted by enemy lords and lords are more likely to clear an enemy outpost than a bandit hideout.
harassing and scouting: the scout party will focus on harassing enemy armies and scouting for friendly armies in the region, reducing enemy armies's marching speed and boosting friendly armies's marching speed depend on the number and strength of the scouting parties. also, the scout parties will try to clear enemy scout parties in this stance.
b.Outposts can be a secret storage for its owner, you can store supply here during peace and use them during war time

2.A clan can only maintain a limited number of outposts according to their leader's relevant skills and perks at the same time, and they must pay wage to the scouting parties they have.
3.NPCs and players can destroy or capture enemy outposts just like hideouts, abandoned outposts may become bandit hideouts again after several weeks.
4.With new function posted above, here are some new missions interact with them:
a.Outpost setting: A lord order you to capture a bandit hideout deep in enemy territory and change it into an outpost for his clan, May only appear for those clans didn't reach their outpost limit.
b.End enemy harassing: A lord in an legion order you to hunt enemy scouting parties harassing his troopers.
c.Stop enemy raiding: someone merchant or landowner order you to hunt enemy raiding parties.

that all for now.
ps: how can I delete a thread post by myself? I just find I formerly post this thread in a wrong place.

Last edited:
Good well thought out suggestions! I would like to see the scout system implemented. I like the way you can use the base as a supply dumb and as a way to destabilize the enemy region.

instead of harassing the enemy army, I would suggest the scouts to trail the army and send you updates whenever the army destination changes. (with an option to turn notification on and off to prevent annoyance)

Good well thought out suggestions! I would like to see the scout system implemented. I like the way you can use the base as a supply dumb and as a way to destabilize the enemy region.

instead of harassing the enemy army, I would suggest the scouts to trail the army and send you updates whenever the army destination changes. (with an option to turn notification on and off to prevent annoyance)
Good point, and I will be happy to see the developers bring back the old intel system in M&B: Warband in the future, the old system will inform you when enemy was spotted near friendly settlements (cities, castles, villages) automatically, which can help you judge the enemy's number and destination and also affect your possibility to sneak into an enemy castle or town. And this outpost system can help you gather intel in enemy territory. The current situation is totally blind fight.

Good point, and I will be happy to see the developers bring back the old intel system in M&B: Warband in the future, the old system will inform you when enemy was spotted near friendly settlements (cities, castles, villages) automatically, which can help you judge the enemy's number and destination and also affect your possibility to sneak into an enemy castle or town. And this outpost system can help you gather intel in enemy territory. The current situation is totally blind fight.
indeed. it would allow you to get some idea of what's going on. I also liked the feature in warband where you could suggest to a lord to go to a certain area. This would tie in nicely to receiving intel about enemy possible targets.

A scouting system or spy system would really at to the game and would be a good later game money sink.
wishful thinking here: a scouting party informing you of the likely target of an army, would really benefit an ambush mechanic where you can position and hide your army along the expected path.

indeed. it would allow you to get some idea of what's going on. I also liked the feature in warband where you could suggest to a lord to go to a certain area. This would tie in nicely to receiving intel about enemy possible targets.

A scouting system or spy system would really at to the game and would be a good later game money sink.
wishful thinking here: a scouting party informing you of the likely target of an army, would really benefit an ambush mechanic where you can position and hide your army along the expected path.
Agree, and I think the game also need a command system where kingdom leaders can spend influence to affect the behavior of the legions. and a better strategy AI or some new subsystem, which won't send every solider and every lord in the same direction and make a kingdom easily flanked, or make a very slow legion with too much lords and soliders , which will run out of food before they reach the enemy territory.

Hi, everyone
As the recent update deployed just two days ago, there is a new feature about bandit hideouts: they now have influence on settlements, a -2 penalty on security. to me that's reasonable but it also brings an issue: NPCs won't clear hideouts, that means settlements controlled by NPCs will take that penalty forever unless player clear them. which is unreasonable, also what can be and should be improved compared to M&B: warband. So, after some thinking, I have some suggestion on hideout system to share with community and developers. Here I will post two version of my so called "plan" on improve bandit hideout systems, a "minor fixes" version and an "expand" version.

"Minor-fixes" version
This version focus on spend less time and resource to improved the current situation, also the base logic of the both plan is posted here , here's the detail:

NPC lords may also clear hideouts affecting their settlements, the possibility of that action is depend on a base probability value and following factors:
a.The current security value of such settlement. If a settlement's security value is low and or decreasing rapidly , NPC lords will clear hideouts more actively.
b.The category of settlement. NPC lords are more likely to clear hideouts near cities, because cities donate more money for them and may launch rebellion against them.
c.The time passed after the hideout spawned, the NPC lords are more likely to clear out a hideout terrorizing locals for years than for days.
d.The current status of the faction, NPC lords are more likely to clear hideouts during peace time. the more faction their faction are having war with, the less likely they clear hideouts(they must focus on the war with another kingdom rather than mere bandits )
e.For the clearing hideout missions, the NPCs won't clear those target hideouts before the mission failed.
f.some character traits.

So, here we got an example: an NPC lord find a bandit hideout near a city he controlled, what happen in his "brain" is (note all number posted here are just for example, not for actual game code):
the settlement it affecting's security value is a bit high with a value of 70 (-10%) and still improving slowly (-10%)
the settlement it affecting is a city(+10%)
the hideout was there for 42 days (+30%)
peace time(+20%)
the lord is a brave(+10%) and good(+10%) person
The result is 60%, plus base value of 10%, which means this lord have 70% possibility to take action against the hideout.

"Expand" version
This version focus on expanding the current bandit hideout system based on the basic logic of the "minor fixes" version.

According to the game texts, the bandit hideouts are usually abandoned fort, hidden Fjord, forest maze, concealed desert caves, etc, which is good for hiding and can sustain life for a small party, these are not only good for outlaws to hide, but also a good base of operation for scouting or raiding operations conduct by lords and generals. so, here's what I'm thinking:

1.After a successful hideout assault, you or NPC lords can choose to change it into an outpost with following functions:
a.Outposts will respawn a limited mount of scouting and raiding parties made of "scout" troopers with unique upgrading line. They are light armored soliders with horses, fast in both tactic and strategy scale.Those party have following stances:
patrolling: the scouting party will patrolling the region, capturing bandits and bring prisoners back to the hideout or nearby settlements( the choice is yours) (I don't know if bandits can respawn from just thin air, so this may be useless)
raiding: during war time, scouting parties belongs to outposts deep in enemy territory or in border can be set on "raiding" stance, in this stance they will attack enemy villagers even caravans, which will generate gold to the outpost owners and reduce the security value for the target enemy settlement like the bandit hideout, but be careful in this stance the outposts are more likely to be spotted by enemy lords and lords are more likely to clear an enemy outpost than a bandit hideout.
harassing and scouting: the scout party will focus on harassing enemy armies and scouting for friendly armies in the region, reducing enemy armies's marching speed and boosting friendly armies's marching speed depend on the number and strength of the scouting parties. also, the scout parties will try to clear enemy scout parties in this stance.
b.Outposts can be a secret storage for its owner, you can store supply here during peace and use them during war time

2.A clan can only maintain a limited number of outposts according to their leader's relevant skills and perks at the same time, and they must pay wage to the scouting parties they have.
3.NPCs and players can destroy or capture enemy outposts just like hideouts, abandoned outposts may become bandit hideouts again after several weeks.
4.With new function posted above, here are some new missions interact with them:
a.Outpost setting: A lord order you to capture a bandit hideout deep in enemy territory and change it into an outpost for his clan, May only appear for those clans didn't reach their outpost limit.
b.End enemy harassing: A lord in an legion order you to hunt enemy scouting parties harassing his troopers.
c.Stop enemy raiding: someone merchant or landowner order you to hunt enemy raiding parties.

that all for now.
ps: how can I delete a thread post by myself? I just find I formerly post this thread in a wrong place.
I completely agree with you that NPCs should also clean out bandit lairs, as they directly affect the security of their settlements

Back
Top Bottom