Why "Focus Fire" Should be a top priority and implemented immediately.

Should a "Focus Fire" command for ranged units be a top developmental priority?

• "Focus Fire" should be a top priority and should be implemented immediately.

Votes: 51 46.8%
  • "Focus Fire" should be implemented eventually, but it is not a top priority.

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • "Focus Fire" should not be implemented at all.

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I do not care about "Focus Fire" one way or another.

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

What's the point of giving feedback then ?
GNznD1d.png

Apart from the practical applications of this command (which there are many). There is also an element of realism that is to be considered.
Imagine for a moment, you are a battle commander or a captain in a medieval army. You think that your archers should concentrate their fire on a strategic target (an enemy formation), so what do you do? Do you tell your men to fire at will and hope they pick the correct target? No, you order them to fire at a specific target which you indicate either verbally or visually by pointing and shouting. A "Focus Fire" command is just the video-game equivalent of this notion since we cannot tell our men "Shoot those pikemen on their left flank" instead of pointing and shouting we use an indicator flag to order our men where to shoot.

The only historical and realistic way of designating a target area is to go there and wave your hands.
Or if youre standing next to me i can say, hey shoot those guys over there by that big tree. Or, shoot those guys on the left. Or focus your fire on the center of their formation. etc But there's no way it was just "shoot whoever you see fit whenever you feel like it that's totally fine"

Last edited:
Good idea! Use the terrain features to your advantage.
More like using the terrain as an indicator of the area to which someone should direct their fire to.
Captain: "Shoot those guys who are crossing the bridge."
VaderTheArcher: "What bridge milord? Can you go over to it and start waving your hands?"
Captain: "It's literally the only bridge around for miles..."

Last edited:
Would pretty much single-handedly fix captain mode, along with limitations to ramboing. Then it would be complete.
but the only problem that I think would be for controller users
Maybe they shouldn't expect a complicated game with lots of keybindings if they play on a console. Pff, casuals... No, honestly I think that Taleworlds should only include mechanics in the game that are achievable using a Guitar Hero controller. If I want to play with that, the game has to be built around that, not the other way around! ?

No, honestly I think that Taleworlds should only include mechanics in the game that are achievable using a Guitar Hero controller. If I want to play with that, the game has to be built around that, not the other way around! ?
Untitled_design_28.png

CaNpoG: Would pretty much single-handedly fix captain mode, along with limitations to ramboing. Then it would be complete.
Absolutely true. In my opinion these are the two biggest issues captains mode is currently facing. Focus fire would be a huge nerf to many of the exploits caused by ramboing as a start, but I hope they do more on that front as well to prevent it from happening altogether as captain mode should be about commanding armies, not killing vast amounts of bots as a solo player.

Last edited:
I know TW's opinion on this. Instead of giving the captain full control over his units with commands, they will rather work to make the AI better at making the right decisions themselves. Let's say cav attacks savages with pikes. Then the AI changes to pike just before the cav attacks. But, many teams will use this behavior to their advantage, and attack with cav just before their inf attacks, making savages useless vs inf. It's the same thing with archers. It's way too easy to manipulate with the AI. And the captain have no tools or commands to counter it. I would rather have my AI 100% under my control, so they will use pikes when I tell them to. And fire in a certain direction while ignoring what happens around them. And also run without turning around when the enemy is close, and then lose the momentum.

It's ridiculous that I can't have my archers target a specific spot or formation, and it's ridiculous that I can't tell my infantry or cavalry to attack a specific spot or formation either. These are just basic common sense additions that for some reason is just too complex or overlooked. This being done over and over again is what kills the game.

It's ridiculous that I can't have my archers target a specific spot or formation, and it's ridiculous that I can't tell my infantry or cavalry to attack a specific spot or formation either. These are just basic common sense additions that for some reason is just too complex or overlooked. This being done over and over again is what kills the game.
Well... some may be surprised, however I would like to point out that in Viking Conquest there was the possibility of targeting an enemy objective by placing the position flag on top of a designated enemy unit.

9y5Cu.jpg

It is obvious that in VC the focus enemy - focus fire approach was quite basic and that's why in Bannerlord an updated/improved version was "expected" as 2.0 natural evolution of the franchise.

Unfortunately not even that...

I don't see why the control system for focusing fire on specific groups would be that complicated. 1 number to select group, another number to choose attack, then choose the number for target. It's what we already do but with one more branching menu at the end. It's 3 button pushes instead of 2
It's not unrealistic at all either to be able to focus fire on groups, even from a distance it can be easy to distinguish cavalry from infantry and even different types of infantry.
This would be the most basic way to implement that I can think of, it wouldn't solve everything but the flexibility would help avoiding some of the annoying nuances of combat.

Last edited:
I had a hard time when playing captain mode, where my archers were "self" targeting the enemy infantry (which our friendly infantry was handling just fine), but I wanted them to attack the archers that were firing on us.

Well... some may be surprised, however I would like to point out that in Viking Conquest there was the possibility of targeting an enemy objective by placing the position flag on top of a designated enemy unit.

9y5Cu.jpg

It is obvious that in VC the focus enemy - focus fire approach was quite basic and that's why in Bannerlord an updated/improved version was "expected" as 2.0 natural evolution of the franchise.

Unfortunately not even that...
Exactly! This is one of the most common additions in mods. A great addition too. I use it all the time, and as of late with The Last Days. How hard is it to just borrow ideas from Warband mods? Nobody would see that as "unprofessional" or a "lack of vision". Having my Infantry completely break their formation and savagely charge with no discipline, and having my cavalry charge in all different directions when I want them to attack the ****ing archers is super annoying, especially when we've already fixed this problem before.

Exactly! This is one of the most common additions in mods. A great addition too. I use it all the time, and as of late with The Last Days. How hard is it to just borrow ideas from Warband mods? Nobody would see that as "unprofessional" or a "lack of vision". Having my Infantry completely break their formation and savagely charge with no discipline, and having my cavalry charge in all different directions when I want them to attack the ****ing archers is super annoying, especially when we've already fixed this problem before.
Well... like so many other things my boi ? ? ... like for example the switch weapon order we had in Warband... which was also included in the latest Taleworlds title, yes Viking Conquest Reforged Edition.

8QucW.png

NldJ1.jpg

Where is something like this in Bannerlord? ? :iamamoron:

Currently some of us really miss it... feel free to drop by here and leave your vote (feedback for PM but applicable in conjunction with SP if they eventually do so ever)

Well... like so many other things my boi ? ? ... like for example the switch weapon order we had in Warband... which was also included in the latest Taleworlds title, yes Viking Conquest Reforged Edition.

8QucW.png

NldJ1.jpg
Sorry to go off-topic Mr Viejo but I always wondered is that actually you in all these pictures? :ROFLMAO: I admire your memes and photoshop efforts!

Also i'm sure this "attack that enemy group" will be added in future. Even a low tech implementation would be relatively easy to do but I get the feeling its just low down on their priorities list like much of the other QOL features that we all want to see eventually.

Sorry to go off-topic Mr Viejo but I always wondered is that actually you in all these pictures? :ROFLMAO: I admire your memes and photoshop efforts!
:lol:
Sorry to break the magic, no, I'm not the one in the pictures (click here and here ---- it's not the Rick Astley / Gandalf sax video ✋ ? ).
Also i'm sure this "attack that enemy group" will be added in future. Even a low tech implementation would be relatively easy to do but I get the feeling its just low down on their priorities list like much of the other QOL features that we all want to see eventually.
JBenx.jpg

:lol: A potential paladin of hope

:lol:
Sorry to break the magic, no, I'm not the one in the pictures (click here and here ---- it's not the Rick Astley / Gandalf sax video ✋ ? ).
Heart is broken for 2 reason
1. Not rick rolled in either link
2. Illusion shattered :ROFLMAO: I like the lore behind it though :smile:

:lol: A potential paladin of hope
Yes I still believe that once all the big ticket features they are planning are in and major code blocks are locked in, they will do a small QOL sweep with the list of low priority stuff they've collected & maybe touching up little bits. This is my hope atleast after reading the old dev blogs from years ago ?

8QucW.png

NldJ1.jpg

Where is something like this in Bannerlord? ? :iamamoron:

Currently some of us really miss it... feel free to drop by here and leave your vote (feedback for PM but applicable in conjunction with SP if they eventually do so ever)
Viking Conquest is the best M&B experience there is. Anyone who disagrees can settle the dispute with me not through words, but a boxing match, the sport of true gentlemen!
boxer-jack-johnson-in-fighting-pose-bettmann.jpg

Back
Top Bottom