how to remove looters rocks

Users who are viewing this thread

I have been neglecting my two handed sword skill while leveling archery and I am now wanting to actually level my two handed sword against looters. However, I forgot that in bannerlord looters and their laser guided rocks that they can still throw further than you can shoot an arrow, still do 15-25 damage even if you have the best armor in the game.

Interestly looters are the one unit not in the characters file and rocks are the one weapon not in the weapon file. Anyone know where these might be?

Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord > Modules > SandBox > ModuleData > bandits.xml
Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord > Modules > SandBox > ModuleData > GitGood.xml *

On a serious note, I actually like the added challenge for looters. Sure, damage could be adjusted a bit (heavy armor should absorb more of it, we definitely need a blunt resistance of sorts), but other than that, the staggering effect keeps your from charging mindlessly and making the game boring, which I do appreciate.

Looters already flee due to low morale quite easily, and all you need is a horse and two handed to kill them while they flee... on horse you deal very high damage quickly so you should level it up pretty fast or, if you want on foot, then charge some weak infantry in shield wall formation to keep them busy while you slash away, but they do run away too quickly so it will be more grindy this way with or without rocks.

But ya, if you want to take away this particular challenge you can do so, but still, wouldn't it get boring? I guess slashing away and feeling like an unstoppable god can be fun, so I guess it works either way.

Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord > Modules > SandBox > ModuleData > GitGood.xml *

On a serious note, I actually like the added challenge for looters. Sure, damage could be adjusted a bit (heavy armor should absorb more of it, we definitely need a blunt resistance of sorts), but other than that, the staggering effect keeps your from charging mindlessly and making the game boring, which I do appreciate.

Looters already flee due to low morale quite easily, and all you need is a horse and two handed to kill them while they flee... on horse you deal very high damage quickly so you should level it up pretty fast or, if you want on foot, then charge some weak infantry in shield wall formation to keep them busy while you slash away, but they do run away too quickly so it will be more grindy this way with or without rocks.

But ya, if you want to take away this particular challenge you can do so, but still, wouldn't it get boring? I guess slashing away and feeling like an unstoppable god can be fun, so I guess it works either way.
Having laser accurate, armor crushing rocks flying at the speed of light is a tad bit unrealistic one might argue.

Also from a gameplay point of view looters are (or should be) the weakest troops you encounter on the map, so a new player with a low level character can both learn the game mechanics and grind some exp. before getting into bigger challenges.

Having laser accurate, armor crushing rocks flying at the speed of light is a tad bit unrealistic one might argue.

Also from a gameplay point of view looters are (or should be) the weakest troops you encounter on the map, so a new player with a low level character can both learn the game mechanics and grind some exp. before getting into bigger challenges.
I personally don't mind their accuracy, I don't want them to throw like headless chickens either so I can just waltz in unscathed on my horse. Damage is another story, of course armor should diminish blunt damage, otherwise you feel your armor does nothing, so I do agree with damage adjustment (not by nerfing stone damage though, but by buffing high-tier armor, so that you feel a sense of progress).

Realistically, looters are still humans, so all in all it's immersive for them not to 100% suck like in warband. I like these new looters a lot more. No matter how skilled a warrior you would be, you would still get outnumbered easily and defeated by a bunch of unarmored thugs, so still you shouldn't be a god amongst men just because "they're the lowest of the low", and having some sort of tactics or at least some skill against them should still be a necessity.

I really don't agree with the new player argument. How long is a new player "new"? Even if you make looters be tougher enemies, a player should adapt after a few hours and learn from mistakes. Making the game unreasonably easy and casual isn't a solution, it will just hurt veteran players more. If I play on all realistic settings, I expect a little bit of a challenge in every part of the game. Players that want less of a challenge have different settings they can choose. Also, a new player can easily choose his fights as long as he keeps horses in his party (not even that necessary early on), doesn't carry too much, and knows how to recruit from a village. The game is pretty newb-friendly already I would say, it's a casual sandbox experience, it's not rocket science. This is not prophesy of pendor, which mind you I had no trouble adapting to after getting defeated a couple of times by some troop I didn't expect to be as tough as it was that mopped the floor with my recruits and me. It was very enjoyable to learn and overcome the challenge. That mod was the best experience that warband had to offer for many players including myself, and the challenge was a big part of why that is.

If looters had a leader, which was tougher and had good equipment, I'd be more than happy with that. If looters raided low-militia count villages, I would also be happy with that. Taking into consideration what more challenges could be placed into the game I think they're fine, apart from the damage that is not mitigated by armor like I stated in the beginning. That's the only thing I would change.

And thats why he wants the laser guided rocks out.. Period. I don't think he's interested in your essay.
Ok, then give looters short bows, spears, and other variety of weapons because we want the game to be fully realistic. Why are they only allowed rocks? Let them wear the equipment of the parties they defeat too, they are "looters" after all. But then people will cry they find looters with the occasional sledgehammer. Let's not hide the fact that some people find looters too difficult, it isn't about realism at all. They want to charge mindlessly into them and feel like a god on horses with massive 2handed swords. Looters are the easiest enemies already, period.

Ok, then give looters short bows, spears, and other variety of weapons because we want the game to be fully realistic. Why are they only allowed rocks? Let them wear the equipment of the parties they defeat too, they are "looters" after all. But then people will cry they find looters with the occasional sledgehammer. Let's not hide the fact that some people find looters too difficult, it isn't about realism at all. They want to charge mindlessly into them and feel like a god on horses with massive 2handed swords. Looters are the easiest enemies already, period.
Yes, that would be a better solution than making radar guided rocket propelled rocks.

I have no problem with looters being a bit stronger than in Warband. In Warband they might have been a bit too weak.

But still: I think looters are the weakest class of enemies and should remain so. They currently arent in Bannerlord though.
If you can defeat highest tier troops with a pack of looters thats a problem. Looters arent fighters. They are looters.
They don't fight warriors, let alone trained armies.They intimidate and steal from civilians.

"When the wise man points to the moon, the fool looks at the finger"
Confucius

I think the problem is neither the stones, nor the looters because in warband we had both working properly and no one is holding their hands up to their heads.

The real problem here, and the real target once again, is undeniably the damage/protection formula of the combat system itself.

Keep your eyes on the moon ? :iamamoron: .

@AndrewArt I think OP wants to remove looters' rocks because he wants to actually melee with them, and the rocks they throw allow looters to punch way above their weight class in terms of damage output. I don't care how accurate their rocks are, but the damage they do is unabashedly broken since armor is nonexistent in this game.

Looters are already more dangerous in melee than they were in Warband -as are recruits and pretty much all units, thanks to the aforementioned damage calc vs. armor issues. If you fall asleep on them in melee, they will kill you.

Still though, I support OP's sentiment to remove the looter rocks from his game, because until the rocks/damage/armor parameters are finally addressed, this issue will continue to be a menace for everyone. Sure, some people might find it "boring" to fight looters, but that particular argument has no place here, because it's equally "boring" to sit inside of a town healing for days because you lost 90% of your health to 4-5 rocks.

I see we posted 3 comments at the same time talking about armor needing improvements.

It's the main thing I agree with, that armor should provide more damage resistance, and blunt damage shouldn't be an exception that bypasses all armor either. I feel like that would solve everything. Just starting out, being bombarded by rocks would mean certain death, that can be fun in itself. It can be fun because it's not something you can't do anything against, because later on you can get armor that makes a world of a difference, and you'll be feeling like you truly progressed in the world

(oh wait, my comment didn't send? I don't see it. Pretty much said what @Terco_Viejo said.

Or did I edit it by mistake. Oh well, main point is: armor.

Last edited:
Also looters not raiding villages still feels weird to me.
Absolutely. Looters and Bandits alike should mainly target farmers, villages and caravans.
This should also be the reason for the player and other lords to hunt them down.

As it is now, they just seem to pop up on the map and roam around aimlessly.

Weakest troops my arse. Check Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord > Modules > SandBox > ModuleData > bandits.xml their's equipment, fellows. Gambesons and falchions, lol.

Weakest troops my arse. Check Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord > Modules > SandBox > ModuleData > bandits.xml their's equipment, fellows. Gambesons and falchions, lol.
Bandit gambesons are 14 body armor. Falchions do cut damage and have the least damage out of all the weapons bandits carry, because cut gets mitigated by armor while the blunt is nearly unaffected. Also, falchions are rare -- only one equipment set for looters has them.

If they had more falchions, they'd be even weaker. It's the hammers, pitchforks and scythes that do a better job against (armored) players.

I actually like the added challenge for looters
Ah yes the challenge of moving back even further and shooting them in the face from out of thier very questionable range. Day 1 and it teaches players to not engage the bots but to carefully slaughter them, giving them zero chance of ever damaging you. A lesson that lasts the whole game since armor still sucks.

warband we had both working properly and no one is holding their hands up to their heads.
Warband looters are perfect! They're just threatening enough that the player must learn the basics, but they're still awkward and clumsy enough to feel like the trash they are. The stones in warband just have a wider variation of accuracy and although you might get one in the face and be in trouble, it's not nearly as constant and obnoxious as in bannerlord. Of course with soupier warband armor and damage, once you get some decent gear the rocks with ding for zero! It's amazing, feels like playing a RPG game progressing a bit! ?

Last edited:
Rocks are a weapon of the poor and goes back into antiquity. Even famous Hercules ,a strong warrior used weapons of the poor - large wooden club, animal skin shield and .. rocks to throw before melee combat.

Common people of all ages,who weren't militarily trained, also threw rocks to skirmish. Even in sieges, anyone can throw rocks onto the attackers below.

So Rock n Roll RULES ! :grin:

Not only throwing stones from walls. There is a 5th century BC picture of a Greek hoplite, for example, using a stone to throw at the defenders of a castle/town up the wall.

The problem in Bannerlord is not the looters and their stones. The problem is that someone thinks it would be a good idea to train sword fighting as lone hero on a multitude of enemies with ranged weapons. Nobody would do it in the real world. The imagined top tier armor which would make you more or less invulnerable does not exist, and it would be extremely dangerous to risk a stone to the face stunning you long enough to be overwhelmed.

So my solution for the looter problem would be to give better xp in arena fights, to train in a mildly realistic scenario.

Back
Top Bottom