Taleworlds, it's time to shut down this multiplayer

Should TW shut down all multiplayer servers immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 79 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 66 45.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Instead of shutting down MP, we should just dedicate an entire update for MP. Have the competent programmers and animators in SP focus on MP for 10 months and the game will recover.
This might happen at some point in the future, but it is very far off. I honestly don't expect full support for MP until post release, when they finish singleplayer and can transfer people over. Right now though, I firmly believe that the state of multiplayer is actively killing the potential for the community to develop, and when we get to the point where TW wants to work on the experience, the community will be irreparably damaged.

To your second point, player feedback is meaningless right now since TW does not listen to any important feedback. Analytics accomplish nothing given that the game gets progressively worse with each successive update. Feedback is not as critical as the changes that this game needs to undergo are massive and fundamental. Not simple tweaks. There is enough feedback on this forum and elsewhere to explain these fundamental changes in great detail. What is needed now is not feedback but active development based on the feedback that has accumulated for the past year.

Everyone disagreeing here needs simply to look at the numbers to realize how drastic this situation is. Every person who quits now is a person will likely never return. This isn't about the current state of multiplayer, it's about the future of multiplayer. Who will return when mods and custom servers are released? Perhaps veterans and die hard players will, but those new players who contributed to the massive sales during release will never return. Like it or not, we need those players, and if we can save even a small amount of them, it will vastly contribute to this niche community.

Right now though, I firmly believe that the state of multiplayer is actively killing the potential for the community to develop, and when we get to the point where TW wants to work on the experience, the community will be irreparably damaged.

How so tho? Many of the players have already quit the game temporarily until the game is fixed. Shutting down the game completely is what will cause the death of the community. The few remaining players who actually play the game will stand and vouch for improvements and progress. Shutting down a game completely drops the player count to 0 and I guarantee you that this is a slap to the face to the players who still play this game. A complete shutdown is just not going to fix it, and what's likely going to happen is a very disappointing result that would make people actually quit the mount and blade franchise.

Feedback is not as critical as the changes that this game needs to undergo are massive and fundamental. Not simple tweaks. There is enough feedback on this forum and elsewhere to explain these fundamental changes in great detail.
Regarding this point the analytics are important, you need players to test the game. We know for a fact that every time they try to introduce something the game breaks. So we need people who can send those crash reports and explain the bugs and exploits in the game. The devs are active, while slow and not effective they are still getting results eventually. While arguably it is worse of I really do not know how the game is worse off after they refactored the code but it is what it is. For any form of testing for changes good or bad the developers need someone to play test the game and see how it goes. This is important when you consider A/B testing being a crucial methodology when analyzing user experience simply skipping this will be the developers doing changes with no idea if these changes will break the game or not. Many times the developers can introduce something and this one thing will be used in a way that is not meant to be used at all.

Perhaps veterans and die hard players will, but those new players who contributed to the massive sales during release will never return. Like it or not, we need those players, and if we can save even a small amount of them, it will vastly contribute to this niche community.
I can't talk about the entire community but for NA the problems were the servers and the split that killed NA. Other communities are Poppin and I think the reason why the community is not doing well is bad engagement and outreach. This is very evident when it comes to SA especially since they do not have a server to begin with.

A good recovery plan and come back for games come with good community outreach, communication, and most importantly great results. People will give it a fair shot if a lot of fixes and changes do come. Bannerlord online got a lot of players when it released because people noticed something different and if people notice that MP is actually popping and tournaments are a thing now the sheer pressure will let the newer player come back. If NoManSky dev team managed to pull off a comeback then bannerlord def can. They just need to focus on the real things and meme us with BS UI updates that actually make the game worse.

Bannerlord MP is dead because you got less than a handful of people working on the other half of the game. The updates that we get in the patch notes are not considered updates but instead just value changes that an entry-level intern can change. The last significant update we had was the removal of block delay.

Its clear that multiplayer is dying, and Taleworlds is nowhere to be found. I don't know what's going on there, whether they're still working on things outside of small bugfixes or not, but whatever Taleworlds is doing, its not working. The longer that this neglected multiplayer goes on, the more players that give up and leave the game. If Taleworlds wants this game's multiplayer to have any future, they should shut down all servers immediately. Allowing this broken, barely playable game to exist is only doing harm to the community and killing any future the game has. Open servers back up when you fix the game and can release the custom server files. Don't actively make your game worse with buggy hotfixes that add nothing. This game is hemorrhaging players and if you want to stop the bleeding, you need to cauterize the wound. Shut it down.
I agreed with your premise, until I read this comment:
Flushing the drool and putting another drool isn't going to make that new drool better. What you call "re-release" will do absolutely nothing.
Without actually improving something, this idea would be completely pointless. I'm hopeful that, if they shut them down and re-released it correctly, with public server files and support, it would help rejuvinate the game, but there really is no point if Taleworlds isn't willing to put in the ounce of work they need to do to get this crisis fixed. But, hey, those sweet sweet bucks from console sales are coming in, so thats nice!

I know it might sounds extreme, but just stop and take a moment to think about it. If Taleworlds shuts down the multiplayer, even for a few months, and works on improving it without breaking the game every 2 weeks with hotfixes, then many people will come back when it reopens. And if the game is greatly improved without the endless slew of new bugs and crashes, then those people might even stay.
The only solution is to just dedicate whatever resources are necessary and to fix it outright. In either the current approach or your approach MP is just going to continue hemorrhaging players, possibly even faster if they shut down the servers completely.

I mean, either way, it doesn't look like they want to dedicate any resources at all to fixing the issues, MP is in the same (or worse) shape than it was on launch. Really disappointing.

MP is in the same (or worse) shape than it was on launch.
You have not played a disaster named EA launch of Bannerlord, or you are just objectevily wrong. It was much less fun clusterf*ck of random perks distributed between classes by a random number generator.

shut it down already ffs
cant stand a mindset akin "i dont like game therefore pls turn it off for everyone". Yes game has fundamental problems, but a bunch of players still find playing it in a relaxing way pretty fun, i found a better solution to your problem - quit game yourself, so everyone will be happy

You have not played a disaster named EA launch of Bannerlord, or you are just objectevily wrong. It was much less fun clusterf*ck of random perks distributed between classes by a random number generator.

cant stand a mindset akin "i dont like game therefore pls turn it off for everyone". Yes game has fundamental problems, but a bunch of players still find playing it in a relaxing way pretty fun, i found a better solution to your problem - quit game yourself, so everyone will be happy
I've been playing since they opened EA, and my comment relates to the actual servers not the chosen mechanics and stats.

It wouldn't matter. Those who doesn't enjoy it has already left. Sure, some might go online from time to time only to be disappointed again. What will matter is the question; how to revigorate the multiplayer (and game) again?

It'd require TW to actively support the currently stunlocked modders and server communities by advertising those when they come online or available. Otherwise, you cannot expect an influx of newcomers, nor for them to remain, even with total overhaul mods or custom servers.

Compare it to how it'd turn out would the first Mount and Blade go on sale (as it probably is right now during the Summer sales), and compare the sales if TW would actively rather advertise the relatable LoTR mod in the game. The latter would probably give more sales, but also require more work as TW need to understand what its own community is all about, and risk advertising something which isn't inherently their own idea.

they don't care about the PC multiplayer community and never have. their sole focus is on a successful console release. why do you think they never changed the class system even though it's universally reviled by their existing playerbase? because the old system wouldn't work on consoles. mods made warband what it was, and now they spit on modders any chance they get. why? consoles again.

a lot of their decisions make prefect sense when you realize that they are pinning everything on a successful console launch

they should, in my opinion muti-team should be disbanded the moment that single player experence muti-player mod come out that multiplayer should be disbanded, just wasted money. that captain mode is better serve as a mod rather than something hijackings the entire developing process. that class system is a failure at start. at this point even for honor play better than this crap and still look better.

well at least single player is good

Probably higher quality control standard on console. PC players get treated like crap as always and have to fix it themselves.
Consoles have the benefit of consistency, so quality standards are possible. Many PC players push the bleeding edge limits of idiocy daily, there is no way any professional developers could ever keep up

Consoles have the benefit of consistency, so quality standards are possible. Many PC players push the bleeding edge limits of idiocy daily, there is no way any professional developers could ever keep up
Client hardware has no bearing on the server code issues we're seeing. This isn't someone running a weird engineering sample GPU with half-dead RAM having graphics issues, this is an issue with server software and hardware being unstable and affecting everyone.

Back
Top Bottom