Iron man mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Iron Man mode should be more challenging for players.

Bandits - more in party, stronger opponents, more spawns, more aggressive, perhaps raid villages?

Enemy Vassels - aggressive, often no mercy, stronger etc.

Weather effects - affects the world map, affects everyone's skills, random weather events, (sandstorms - your party got lost in the sandstorm - lose 10 men, for example)

Random events - players would come across random events that players would sometimes need to make a decision, for example, you come across a group of bandits that are demanding a toll to enter their territory, either pay or fight (your money or your life). Of course the price would be high. Or no choice events, players don't have a choice, since it just happened, for example, your party were affected by a plague - lose 10 men

These are some of things that I just thought, but I'm sure there are more. Shall we discuss more ideas?

I think Ironman mode was just based off of Paradox' mode of the same name, where the only change is that you can no longer save. Although, a more difficult mode then the native difficulties would be nice for those looking for that experience.

No save is some quite of a challenge, but I had times where I would exit the game and restart the game cause the A.I. made a bad decision in a battle, or I made a mistake lol.

I would like a hardmode but I don't necessarily think currently TW devs are up to the task of making it. The line between obnoxious Bull? :poop: and "challenge" seems lost in translation or something . And of course balancing all the awful useless garbage troops and broken damage formulas needs to be finished or what's the point?

I would like a start where you're hunted by enemy bands and you have to watch out for them on the map, maybe you start in debt and have to pay it off to stop enemy bounty hunters from looking for you or something. Of course we'll probably need mods for anything good like this.

I played a lot of the Ironman last couple weeks and it's a complete dud. It adds no challenge, only inconvenience. It's inconvenient to lose a few troops to a the AI being worthless garbage and not quickly re-load the game. It's not challenging, you're not going to lose or not complete you objective, it's just annoying. It's annoying to go look for an npc and they're not where the encyclopedia says they are and/or you waste bribe money to look for them and you can just re-load and look somewhere else. And of course the horrible marriage system is worse with no re-load, but that's just a minor inconvenience too.

Ironman = All the annoying, unfinished broken stuff in Bannerlord but now you're stuck with it every time it shows up.

Woopty ****ing do!

I mean, they are going for the Paradox gamemode of the same game, so that's all it would be. It is also the same gamemode from WB where you'd have realistic saving on, making your game save whenever you quit and you couldn't go back. This is a feature from WB that is now being added to BL under a different name.

I would like a start where you're hunted by enemy bands and you have to watch out for them on the map, maybe you start in debt and have to pay it off to stop enemy bounty hunters from looking for you or something. Of course we'll probably need mods for anything good like this.
Yea that sounds good too, but not sure if TW's can pull it out of their magic hat

I think you guys really want the difficulty levels to tweak a lot more values/formulas and even to add some scripted gameplay that's difficulty-specific.

I think you guys really want the difficulty levels to tweak a lot more values/formulas and even to add some scripted gameplay that's difficulty-specific.
I would also like some payoff to a more challenging start too! I could just dump all my gear and buy (and dump) a buncha crap to simulate "dur you got no money" start but that would suck and just be doing more boring things for more time.

I would also like some payoff to a more challenging start too! I could just dump all my gear and buy (and dump) a buncha crap to simulate "dur you got no money" start but that would suck and just be doing more boring things for more time.
That would be a part of a mod or scenario, like when you can start as a king, some lord, established merchant... but also a naked butter addict in your case. Go bug the modders for this one, it should be easy to do.
What may be even more interesting are campaign scenarios where you play as some notable person like Derpherp and follow his canon story (main quest) with special events and goals to accomplish. It's a great opportunity to build up the lore and flesh out notable NPCs.

The idea of ironman mode sounds good, but this game is way to broken and bugged for it at the moment (and foreseeable future)

I'm not sure I will ever use this feature. What is the point really?
The Paradox approach makes sense because it's games that are much more flexible. When you load a save you can change characters, accept peace deals etc..

What are the choice we are given in Bannerlord on a typical playthough?
Mariage proposals boil down to heir culture, there are no alliances, no stats involved. Peace deals are just a calculation of remaining forces or captured lords. There is no tangible gameplay mechanic that truely is affected by some sort of RNG and that affects your game, where you would have do play differently because of it.

Now that I type this out, I realize the only times I reload a save would be early-on to win tournaments to level up faster because I don't want to travel the whole map to find a another tournament, and when one of my trusty companion, that has been with me for 10 years in-game, gets killed in the field because the game put him as a captain and he charged head first into the enemy forces without support.

Other than that there is no real action that the player cannot undo by regular gameplay. Getting your party wiped out is annoying, but you can rebuild it, it's the whole point of the game basically. Tournament outcome hardly matters past clan level 2. Mariage game is based on esthetics only. Companion are also interchangeable or remplacable. You cannot get maimed, disfigured, fall ill or inherit anything.

ironman sounds nice.I have played xcom intensively because of it, it serverly enforce critical thinking because mistakes can cost you the map or even the entire campaign but that wont be the case for bannerlord yet. Last time I played executions are only done by the player and death is disabled for the player entirely. Lot of tweaks would be needed as well for making truly challenging for an example, the retreat button is in my opinion, very exploitative, reset whole battle placement, asset destructions and refill units ammo.

That would be a part of a mod or scenario, like when you can start as a king, some lord, established merchant... but also a naked butter addict in your case. Go bug the modders for this one, it should be easy to do.
What may be even more interesting are campaign scenarios where you play as some notable person like Derpherp and follow his canon story (main quest) with special events and goals to accomplish. It's a great opportunity to build up the lore and flesh out notable NPCs.
I wanna play a cast out pregnant woman with no money or gear who is hunted by her culture factions and marked as a criminal with bounty hunters after her head! Here's the catch! If you make it long enough for the baby to grow up you now have a heir to the kingdom throne and can cause a civil war! Of course this would begin the boring part of the game in normal bannerlord, but a mod could add good features to being a faction leader so it'd be cool! Not boring do nothing loops.

The idea of ironman mode sounds good, but this game is way to broken and bugged for it at the moment (and foreseeable future)
Fore sure. I felt compelled to try it as a new 'feature' but there's just way to many common workarounds to problems that involve "re-load the game hope it doesn't happen again".

I'm not sure I will ever use this feature. What is the point really?
ironman sounds nice.I have played xcom intensively because of it, it serverly enforce critical thinking because mistakes can cost you the map or even the entire campaign but that wont be the case for bannerlord yet
The main difference to me between bannerlord and games that make good use of an ironman setting is %chance versus player error.
In bannerlord every problem is just a %chance(Often unintended) so it feels like :poop: to the player. Where as other games you put your guy in the wrong the spot and they got attacked first or by the wrong units and they die(permanently), you lose access to that unit for the rest of the game because you played bad (or did you?). In bannerlord you can play perfectly and the AI just ****s up and gets killed sometimes, so there's no feeling like "I made a mistake" it's just "oh still after 14 months and this crap STILL??".

Iron Man mode should be more challenging for players.

Bandits - more in party, stronger opponents, more spawns, more aggressive, perhaps raid villages?

Enemy Vassels - aggressive, often no mercy, stronger etc.

Weather effects - affects the world map, affects everyone's skills, random weather events, (sandstorms - your party got lost in the sandstorm - lose 10 men, for example)

Random events - players would come across random events that players would sometimes need to make a decision, for example, you come across a group of bandits that are demanding a toll to enter their territory, either pay or fight (your money or your life). Of course the price would be high. Or no choice events, players don't have a choice, since it just happened, for example, your party were affected by a plague - lose 10 men

These are some of things that I just thought, but I'm sure there are more. Shall we discuss more ideas?
Ironman is a well established concept in games, and it simply means turning off save scumming.

No it should not come with inherent difficulty increases (apart from the difficulty of not being able to savescum), because players might want to play ironman games on whatever difficulty they choose. If you want a higher difficulty than the hardest you should simply ask for harder difficulty settings.

I am pretty sure that ironman mode has always just meant '1 life' or '1 run' and in games where that is not practical '1 save'. Ironman mode should be just that. Have difficulties that the player can choose for the other stuff, but have difficulty be fine tuned. Dont pack a bunch of changes into one setting. Have each setting be super specific so players can fine tune their experience. Keep ironman to just save scuming and make the rest other settings.

Ironman is a well established concept in games, and it simply means turning off save scumming.

No it should not come with inherent difficulty increases (apart from the difficulty of not being able to savescum), because players might want to play ironman games on whatever difficulty they choose. If you want a higher difficulty than the hardest you should simply ask for harder difficulty settings.
I am pretty sure that ironman mode has always just meant '1 life' or '1 run' and in games where that is not practical '1 save'. Ironman mode should be just that. Have difficulties that the player can choose for the other stuff, but have difficulty be fine tuned. Dont pack a bunch of changes into one setting. Have each setting be super specific so players can fine tune their experience. Keep ironman to just save scuming and make the rest other settings.
Fair enough. I'd much rather have hard options and be able to save normally.
Ironman mode in bannerlord ads absolutely nothing of value and is a complete waste of effort to put it into the game.
Oh wow when the game craps it's self with it's bad AI and unfinished place holder mechanics instead of reloading the save I have to click an X and start the game again WOW WHAT A GREAT NEW FEATURE TY SO MUCH!

Fair enough. I'd much rather have hard options and be able to save normally.
Ironman mode in bannerlord ads absolutely nothing of value and is a complete waste of effort to put it into the game.
Oh wow when the game craps it's self with it's bad AI and unfinished place holder mechanics instead of reloading the save I have to click an X and start the game again WOW WHAT A GREAT NEW FEATURE TY SO MUCH!

I do agree, even the hard options are quite easy. I personally like ironman because ill save scum to all hell, but yea the current game is a bit to broken for that feature right now.

I like the idea of iron man mode but as others have already said it's not stable enough at the moment to be worth playing, im on 1.6 and sometimes the game crashes if I load a (corrupt?)save :grin: imagine being 50 hours in an iron man game

Back
Top Bottom