Forum Feedback and Suggestions (NOT Game Feedback)

Users who are viewing this thread

But... I wanted to see Eärendil's post :sad:
How come we can't use your profile as a little refuge for expatriated twitter users? I swear I would post there everyday, if I remember to do it which would probably not happen anyway.

I think telling why a user was banned or muted is necessary. Please consider adding a little note on the profile.
And allow us to see the profile of banned people...

Apart from that, I suggest the feature to see if someone you follow has replied to a certain thread.
Something like this
FbVhLDw.png

And sometimes you can't see who is viewing the threads, why?
wa2BeE6.png

And sometimes you can't see who is viewing the threads, why?
wa2BeE6.png
This is due to the privacy settings. If you make a toggle at them at your settings, your name is not getting shown there but people still see that someone is reading it.
Apart from that, I suggest the feature to see if someone you follow has replied to a certain thread.
Something like this
FbVhLDw.png
Your second request here, there was a similar request about marking threads in which developers have replied and Janus gave this as response
Something like that was considered, but it would cause a fair bit of extra server strain for most page loads, having to check or keep track of all that extra info for every page or even just every thread. So, sorry, but not happening.

Can we get the Media tag expanded to be able to embed videos from Moddb? More support for the international crowd like bilibili for the CN modders would be nice.

Last edited:
Can we get the Media tag expanded to be able to embed videos from Moddb? More support for the international crowd like bilibili for the CN modders would be nice.
I checked ModDB's videos, and it doesn't appear there's an easy way to do that. They do provide embed codes for their videos, but the problem is, the URL which you actually see for the video doesn't correlate with the URL that the video embed code uses.
So for example, this video:
https://www.moddb.com/games/mount-b...bii-bannerlord-gamescom-2019-trailer#imagebox
Has this URL in its embed code for embedding on another site (designed to take up a full iframe):
https://www.moddb.com/media/iframe/2123910

That last part of the embed URL is the video ID, "2123910", which is what we would need to be able to automatically parse from the normal video URL (the first one), but it isn't present there. So: not feasible with how ModDB structures those URLs. Unless there's a way to get a different but working embed URL of some sort based on the standard URL, which a brief search on my part didn't turn up.

Maybe making it work with the numeric ID is enough, it should be easy to tell people how to grab it from the side embed box.

That would only require whitelisting the iframe URL pattern. Not sure how flexible Xenforo is.

Maybe making it work with the numeric ID is enough, it should be easy to tell people how to grab it from the side embed box.

That would only require whitelisting the iframe URL pattern. Not sure how flexible Xenforo is.
For media embeds in XenForo, they need to be an URL pattern for it to pick up on, not something like a full set of iframe embed code. So... we could of course just use the structure of their video embed URLs, but that would only work for people who specifically know to dig that URL out of ModDB's video embed code.

EDIT:
XenForo also supports oEmbed for media embeds, but it needs to be supported by the target website, and ModDB doesn't support that either.

Last edited:
Hey, I noticed that sometimes in the Bug Report forum for Bannerlord, people miss the (non-quoted) reply asking for follow-up information.

To help people notice the follow-up replies, is it possible to have thread watching on that forum set to opt-out for the thread creator instead of opt-in?

Hey, I noticed that sometimes in the Bug Report forum for Bannerlord, people miss the (non-quoted) reply asking for follow-up information.

To help people notice the follow-up replies, is it possible to have thread watching on that forum set to opt-out for the thread creator instead of opt-in?
That is in fact the default setting ("Automatically watch content you create" enabled), which presumably most people still have set in their user preferences.

We can't override that for specific forums anyway, even if we wanted to override user preferences there specifically.

Looks like the [pre][/pre] bbcode tags exist and may be useful to avoid stripping leading spaces. Maybe adding a button for it under More options... is worth considering. It's like an inline code block, but allows clickable links and other bbcode tagging and doesn't get the gray background.

I was searching for this and it turned out to be supported out of the box:

It was also used (and had an editor button) in the older SMF version of the forum. Some of my preformated blocks need fixing.

Looks like the [pre][/pre] bbcode tags exist and may be useful to avoid stripping leading spaces. Maybe adding a button for it under More options... is worth considering. It's like an inline code block, but allows clickable links and other bbcode tagging and doesn't get the gray background.

I was searching for this and it turned out to be supported out of the box:

It was also used (and had an editor button) in the older SMF version of the forum. Some of my preformated blocks need fixing.
PRE BBCode isn't actually default supported by XenForo. IIRC we initially got it via an addon when we converted from SMF to XenForo, but when the addon wasn't updated for far too long and was holding back an XF update for us, and was mostly no longer needed, I ditched the addon and it was easy to add that custom BBCode.

The PRE BBCode is of course covered in our BBCode page within Help, along with other supported BBCodes.

I could add an editor icon for it, though we would need to pick an icon. Preferably a FontAwesome icon for theme coloring support.
I briefly looked and couldn't find anything particularly fitting, with maybe the "parking" icon being the closest to suitable.

Right, makes sense it would be added to retain compatibility, I saw that it didn't appear during live editing so I suspected it. I noticed the help page last year but missed it this time around, good call. Super useful.

Yeah, I took a good look at the whole icon list and I didn't find anything better than that.

Interesting that they don't have a monospaced text button in there, the big P with a handy mouseover text should do the trick. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for all the good work you do here, Janus. I appreciate it.

OK, I went ahead and added it to the overflow ("More options...") of the first button section in all sizes of the editor.

All youtube links on the forum appear broken at the moment.
Thanks for the report. It's apparently a change Youtube have just made which is breaking embeds on quite a lot of sites. I've added a workaround fix for it which might break playlist functionality (I think based on the nature of the workaround, haven't tested though), but I think that's a reasonable tradeoff for now, until Youtube reverts what they did or a better solution is found.

EDIT:
For reference, the workaround for XenForo I used:

EDIT 2:
Looks like Youtube fixed it on their end now (actually incorrect, but a XF update has now fixed it), so I've removed the above workaround. All Youtube embeds should be working fine now.

Last edited:
I currently seem to be unable to alter the posts in my Solid and Shade M&B mod forum. Curious this is specific, or if this is a systemwide issue?

The subboard moderator permissions have been overworked roughly two months ago. It has been removed from all non-moderator forum members when they have been inactive since a longer time or when their subboard has a low activity which couldn't justify it anymore. Latter was the case at the Solid and Shade subboard. You can still report posts in there and I will take a look at them.

It is more of an issue of not being able to alter the board-moderated topics in there anymore. I have not stopped development of this mod, and most of the activity for it is in the Discord, but I still use the forums as my point of information, with links to my Nexus downloads and my Discord server. I still modify the topics whenever new versions are available. I really would hate to have to condense all of that down to a single thread, after nine years of development...

If it is possible, I would like to have it returned to normal, and I would also like to know how often I need to login and/or post in it to keep my permissions active enough. I would be much obliged. :smile:

It is more of an issue of not being able to alter the board-moderated topics in there anymore. I have not stopped development of this mod, and most of the activity for it is in the Discord, but I still use the forums as my point of information, with links to my Nexus downloads and my Discord server. I still modify the topics whenever new versions are available. I really would hate to have to condense all of that down to a single thread, after nine years of development...
You can still edit your own old posts by yourself. Beside the suggestion thread all other threads are owned by you yourself. So I don't see an issue here which should hinder you at updating them. If you could please elaborate on that.
If it is possible, I would like to have it returned to normal, and I would also like to know how often I need to login and/or post in it to keep my permissions active enough. I would be much obliged. :smile:
The permission has not been redacted based on your own activity alone but also on the general activity on the subboards. You don't need to be able to moderate the posts of users within the subboard when there is rarely any activity anyway. The few cases which might come up can be reported and will be handled by the respective subforum moderator, in your case by me.
We did this at the other subboards too, for example at the modding section alone more than 170 non-moderator subboard owners got their moderator rights redacted out of the same reasons.

Back
Top Bottom