Improving tournaments: bigger prizes and renown when the king is there, distribute NPCs more equally

Users who are viewing this thread

First suggestion: give more expensive prizes when the king is in the tournament. E.g. stuff in the 15k-30k denar bracket. It would be a way to acquire nicer stuff without waiting until endgame. The tournament could be made slightly harder to compensate.

The second suggestion: my observation is in tournaments I am always paired with the weakest links. E.g. I have to go up to a legionary and a noble with the company of a peasant wearing a grain sack. It leads to avoiding tournaments in realistic difficulty because I am always quickly singled out and killed.

How are tournament participants determined? Right now it feels like a majority of the non-lord/wanderer participants come from my party. So getting paired with low-tier troops might be partly influenced by your party composition. I know in Warband there were tournament-specific troops and tournament-only wanderers (although I’m sure some people would get mad at not being able to recruit them). The special heroes present in the “spy among us” are pretty interesting, would be neat to see them in actual tournaments down the road.

Right now it feels like a majority of the non-lord/wanderer participants come from my party. So getting paired with low-tier troops might be partly influenced by your party composition
From my experience so far, this seems to be the case, mostly. I do thing sometimes I do get the rabble in the tournaments even if my party is strong tho, so I believe there's some sort of 'give the player the lower ones because AI is weak' thing.

First suggestion: give more expensive prizes when the king is in the tournament. E.g. stuff in the 15k-30k denar bracket. It would be a way to acquire nicer stuff without waiting until endgame. The tournament could be made slightly harder to compensate.
bad idea, right now the tournament prize is balanced
if they kill you, then just learn to dodge, use the block, run and hit from the corner... and try to hit in the head

bad idea, right now the tournament prize is balanced
if they kill you, then just learn to dodge, use the block, run and hit from the corner... and try to hit in the head

Where did he say he was getting killed? He's asking for a higher tier reward and a harder tournament to go with it if certain parameters are met, such as the King is in attendance.
He isn't asking for advice on how to win a tournament or 'get gud'.

Where did he say he was getting killed? He's asking for a higher tier reward and a harder tournament to go with it if certain parameters are met, such as the King is in attendance.
He isn't asking for advice on how to win a tournament or 'get gud'.
really? read his post again
The second suggestion: my observation is in tournaments I am always paired with the weakest links. E.g. I have to go up to a legionary and a noble with the company of a peasant wearing a grain sack. It leads to avoiding tournaments in realistic difficulty because I am always quickly singled out and killed.
to be paired with a peasant is wonderful, because at the end you will face him in a duel, and the chance to win is 100% (against a legionnaire or a noble it will be more difficult)

but in order to defeat legionnaires and nobles paired with a peasant, you need to learn how to fight - that's what I wrote about

I read it again, I must be missing the line where he's asking for advice on how to improve his combat ability. Can you highlight it for me please?

really? read his post again

to be paired with a peasant is wonderful, because at the end you will face him in a duel, and the chance to win is 100% (against a legionnaire or a noble it will be more difficult)

but in order to defeat legionnaires and nobles paired with a peasant, you need to learn how to fight - that's what I wrote about
the peasant never survives a tournament with higher difficulties. if i'm playing the easiest mode, yes, that happens. but then, it doesn' really matter as anybody is easily beatable.

with higher difficulties, what often happens is my dudes are consistently low tier and rush into suicidal solo attacks and get killed. result is i'm 1 vs. 2-4, which i can sometimes survive in battanian tournaments, but that's it. it's been frequent enough that it's a pattern.

1vs1 is no problem. even at highest difficulty and combat AI settings, NPCs are kinda one trick ponies anyways. they have no concept of creating space and positioning well to do a safe attack. they have a sort of a bait and switch attack, which got me a couple times when i started trying out higher difficulties, but that's it really. even lords with >250 melee are fairly easy to beat 1v1, even early game.

the peasant never survives a tournament with higher difficulties. if i'm playing the easiest mode, yes, that happens. but then, it doesn' really matter as anybody is easily beatable.

with higher difficulties, what often happens is my dudes are consistently low tier and rush into suicidal solo attacks and get killed. result is i'm 1 vs. 2-4, which i can sometimes survive in battanian tournaments, but that's it. it's been frequent enough that it's a pattern.

1vs1 is no problem. even at highest difficulty and combat AI settings, NPCs are kinda one trick ponies anyways. they have no concept of creating space and positioning well to do a safe attack. they have a sort of a bait and switch attack, which got me a couple times when i started trying out higher difficulties, but that's it really. even lords with >250 melee are fairly easy to beat 1v1, even early game.
I just shared my experience - I protect my peasant in order to meet with him at the end :mrgreen:

Having some kind of big boy tournament with tournament champion style heroes plus lords would be pretty noice, especially if it gave higher tier rewards or even legendary weapons again (why were they removed? It looked awesome).
I also feel like tournaments and arenas should give 100% xp rather than whatever fraction of the usual xp you gain atm. It would be a nice way to level up athletics in the early game so you can move faster than my grandmother.

I will say off topic, but I will give advice on how you can get an interesting tournament - right now - and nothing needs to be changed:
1. Create an army of strong nobles (12-24) - strong, which means with high combat stats.
2. Going with army to the town where the tour is held.
3. You start to participate (with army) in the tournament. I managed to participate in tournaments in which only nobles participated.
- As a result, you will get strong partners and strong opponents - each of them can knock you down, each of them can one-shoot you in the head... it's fun, difficult, interesting - prize: victory... difficult victory, but it is real, with equal opponents!

^This is BS, the 2 V 2 fight is you greatest chance to fail in tournament, having a low tier unit as you partner is a great disadvantage because they run ahead with more speed almost ensuring you have 1 v 2 fight.

On the other hand it's really unlikely the AI of any rank or lord will defeat you in 1 v1. It almost never happens IME, where as getting beat 2 v1 is pretty common.
I will give advice on how you can get an interesting tournament - right now
You don't have "right now" unless you switched the beta version! Your advice and feedback is bizzaro time machine stuff from versions over 2 months old.
Not to mention "Bring an army around and do tournament" is basically the most Buttbackwards woosh advice possible. People do tournament while building up to have a warband, not much later when they have an army. As soon as you have the means to defeat lords you should always do so.

^This is BS, the 2 V 2 fight is you greatest chance to fail in tournament, having a low tier unit as you partner is a great disadvantage because they run ahead with more speed almost ensuring you have 1 v 2 fight.

On the other hand it's really unlikely the AI of any rank or lord will defeat you in 1 v1. It almost never happens IME, where as getting beat 2 v1 is pretty common.

You don't have "right now" unless you switched the beta version! Your advice and feedback is bizzaro time machine stuff from versions over 2 months old.
Not to mention "Bring an army around and do tournament" is basically the most Buttbackwards woosh advice possible. People do tournament while building up to have a warband, not much later when they have an army. As soon as you have the means to defeat lords you should always do so.
I just share my gaming experience, how to get a good game - everyone decides to do or not to do it

Having some kind of big boy tournament with tournament champion style heroes plus lords would be pretty noice, especially if it gave higher tier rewards or even legendary weapons again (why were they removed? It looked awesome).
You know, this actually happens often once you hit the thirty year mark in a playthrough, especially in "home" towns of clans. Nothing but named characters in the tournament.

Back
Top Bottom