Bannerlord was a grift

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like calling yourself an Investor for buying an EA game?
I don't believe anyone called themselves an "investor", however, regardless of how big or small of an investment you make, spending money on something is an investment. Someone with one share of apple stock is just as much an investor as someone with a million.

One thing that is clear to me is wrong development focus. Stuff like field battles + sieges are 90-99% of game once you hit mid game. There are clear measurable problems in these areas (pathfinding, AI tactics like cricle of suicide, ladders pretty much not working until 1.6.0 - one ladder per flank now works, ranged vs melee imbalance cause by how armor and damage works just to mention a few). Logical conclussion in such situation would be to make 90% of your gameplay less broken, which would appease the fans and also make you look less incompetent, however for over a year this was not really the case. Instead there were some token watered down wanna be CK2 features that werent touched since their release. Only thing that genuinely improved for me from perspective of normie (I assuming this perspective here, I am not one obviously) player is performance, that is something that is hard to sell to someone who bought the game one year ago and wanted to come back. Look at releases by Paradox Interactive for example (I know I walking on thin ice here due to their recent behaviour and their long term DLC policy), they generally release broken game but at least they release new features (that are often fully developed, not left in the middle of development) or fix most of the broken stuff eventually (and the they break it with next patch, but at least you can reroll to working patch on steam), at least you can see they are trying.

In TW it seems to me that they are either focusing on wrong stuff, or that they lack personnel to do certain type of coding (AI?). They should focus on at least one of the two things - fixing sutff that affects most of your gameplay and adding new features in either high quantity or even better high quality (so the players at least think you are doing something).

PS: stop "fixing" sieges by adding wooden fences on stone walls, adding unmatching walls to pre-existing walls, barricading functional rooms in the castle towers by wooden planks while leaving stairs intact, etc. It looks very amateurish and shines very bad light on you, especially when you had beautifull castles on release. Just get someone who can code AI and pathfinding, OK?
This right here.

Performance improvements are good and we all like it but TW has to start fixing tangible things that are broken/unbalanced since the begining of the early access to improve their relationship with the community for real.

They have noted for more than a year now that sieges are in a bad state, armor effectiveness and combat ai needs improvements but what have we got on these so far?

Okay, either way, technically he is correct.

This right here.

Performance improvements are good and we all like it but TW has to start fixing tangible things that are broken/unbalanced since the begining of the early access to improve their relationship with the community for real.

They have noted for more than a year now that sieges are in a bad state, armor effectiveness and combat ai needs improvements but what have we got on these so far?
Scabbards. Why are you ignoring the scabbards? That’s the greatest update and dev blog everrrrr

They are aware of the problems, but they do have insufficient and lack developers and poor management of increasing worker and their organization. There is too much gap between decision-makers - developers - players. (This is a summary and what ı understand from an interview with some developers in the Turkish forum - Mexico. However, ı maybe miss understood this situation.). AI and nevmash of some maps are causing problems and they are trying to fix that. Sorry for my bad English.

They are aware of the problems, but they do have insufficient and lack developers and poor management of increasing worker and their organization. There is too much gap between decision-makers - developers - players. (This is a summary and what ı understand from an interview with some developers in the Turkish forum - Mexico. However, ı maybe miss understood this situation.). AI and nevmash of some maps are causing problems and they are trying to fix that. Sorry for my bad English.
I don't think they have a lack of developers. They have increased their developer count from a handful to over 100 since Warband. Warband is a similar game, Bannerlord should be roughly 30% more work, but yet with 300% more developers they still fall flat on their face. This is not an excuse.

I don't think they have a lack of developers. They have increased their developer count from a handful to over 100 since Warband. Warband is a similar game, Bannerlord should be roughly 30% more work, but yet with 300% more developers they still fall flat on their face. This is not an excuse.
This is kind of not true. Their development team had 25-30 people (there is a quote about this somewhere) at the height of development and now it's presumably smaller, as people left and they can't seem to replace them or the replacements are not as good.
What the other non-dev employees are doing is hard to say, except Callum who is engaging the unwashed masses on Twitter.

This is kind of not true. Their development team had 25-30 people (there is a quote about this somewhere) at the height of development and now it's presumably smaller, as people left and they can't seem to replace them or the replacements are not as good.
What the other non-dev employees are doing is hard to say, except Callum who is engaging the unwashed masses on Twitter.
Hey vader.... good to see you again on the forums!

Did the powers above mute you for a while? These naive forum kids have been badly in need of some good old-fashioned cynicism to keep them in line recently.

Last edited:
Hey vader.... good to see you again on the forums!

Did the powers above mute you for a while? These naive forum kids have been badly in need of some good old-fashioned cynicism to keep them in line recently.
Thanks, I was being oppressed a bit by the Man.
I'm afraid there's a never-ending supply of "it's early access, stop complaining" new***s and nothing would change that except the cold, hard reality of a release.

I don't think they have a lack of developers. They have increased their developer count from a handful to over 100 since Warband.
Here in Turkey, it is hard to find high-quality developers, and the ones that are really good, most of the time go abroad. Therefore, the number can be misleading. Warband was simple, but unfortunately, bannerlord has a more complex structure. Not too much complexity for a well-organized company, but the head of TW is an engineer which is the reason for lacking organization in development.
Considering the current state of the company in respect to what ı know, I think overall the game would be fun in the end. It can be better for sure. You could be lost fate in the game, which is totally normal. I do not see strong evidence to call this game a grift. I enjoyed my playthroughs and looking to return when there is a stable and well-functioning game.

I'm afraid there's a never-ending supply of "it's early access, stop complaining" new***s and nothing would change that except the cold, hard reality of a release.
This isn't 4Chan, don't need to use those terms. And that's kinda always been what I'm waiting for, release.

Here in Turkey, it is hard to find high-quality developers, and the ones that are really good, most of the time go abroad. Therefore, the number can be misleading. Warband was simple, but unfortunately, bannerlord has a more complex structure. Not too much complexity for a well-organized company, but the head of TW is an engineer which is the reason for lacking organization in development.
Considering the current state of the company in respect to what ı know, I think overall the game would be fun in the end. It can be better for sure. You could be lost fate in the game, which is totally normal. I do not see strong evidence to call this game a grift. I enjoyed my playthroughs and looking to return when there is a stable and well-functioning game.
Thank you for your insight.
Not all are devs. Less than 50 are devs. Last credible numbers I heard are around 30 to 40.

This isn't 4Chan
Neither is 4chan

why is there one of these dudes every month who shows up trying to convince everyone the games good and then just disappears
They watch a fraudulent low effort human garbage bottom feeder youtuber read the threads for cheap fast "content" and decide to come get some attention for themselves. They get a little crumb and go away.

????????? "NOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST NOT RELEASE YOUR EARLY ACCESS GAME ON THE DAY YOU PROMISED EVEN THOUGH AAA TITLES PUSH BACK THEIR RELEASE DATES ALL THE TIME NOOOOO"
- The people in this thread

Neither is 4chan
That's certainly a revelation.
They watch a fraudulent low effort human garbage bottom feeder youtuber read the threads for cheap fast "content" and decide to come get some attention for themselves. They get a little crumb and go away.
I've heard about this youtuber but never got his name, who is he?

I'm also pretty sure I never tried to die on the hill of this game being perfect, or even totally good. Pretty sure I even said that WB had better aspects then this game. But, I guess actually understanding that people have different viewpoints may be a bit of a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom