[POLL] There Is Still No Public Roadmap, Will There Ever Be One? - Multiple Dev Response Are Now Included With The Package For Free!

To have a roadmap, or not to have a roadmap, which is your choice?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

The initial inquiry towards you was a serious one, since you noted that nothing of the sort exists and you gave a 5 point bulletin list as one of the examples (albeit prettier than what we share).
I think that where your statements fall flat is that they are not very specific. This I think is a good model:

It is a method used for career building, but I think it applies to any kind of planning, and good game development roadmaps include elements of it.

In the specific case of Bannerlord, it would be good to know what are the priorities for upcoming patches (and I personally wouldn't even care about an estimate time for delivery as long as it is clear what the priority is). Your list encompasses everything and has too many elements in it to really be useful. Surely you are not working on ALL of that right now. What are the current big priorities that y'all aim to deliver with next patch? (not a question for the next one coming up specifically, just what I think most people would like to see). What is the studio working on this month and what are you hoping to accomplish by the end of it? Or by the end of the summer?

Your list encompasses everything and has too many elements in it to really be useful. Surely you are not working on ALL of that right now.
The list encompasses some of what is currently work in progress. If it is work in progress, we are working on it. If you have a question about a particular topic, you can ask it in the thread.

There is currently no intention to release patch notes prior to a patch being released.

I think that where your statements fall flat is that they are not very specific. This I think is a good model:

It is a method used for career building, but I think it applies to any kind of planning, and good game development roadmaps include elements of it.

You're right, its a great model and has been the foundation of many more methods, theorys and concepts. As a foundation only though, because it is very basic. As method its a key ingredient for other methods and an excellent supplement at that.

If you're in any form of management, leadership position, no matter the size: Learn SMART and use it ALWAYS. Setting SMART targets is something that should become engrained into your entire being - if its not SMART, dont bother.

Back on track: I dont think the model is setting the targets. Its fitting those singular pieces into the bigger picture. Its focus to retain the set path and steer from course. Its oversight, its long-term goals, its a plan. You can set as many goals as you want, but if there's no bigger scheme, no vision to steer that ship towards greater profits then it gets lost. The captain steering the ship got distracted, moved away from the rudder and is now on deck playing cards.

The list encompasses some of what is currently work in progress. If it is work in progress, we are working on it. If you have a question about a particular topic, you can ask it in the thread.

There is currently no intention to release patch notes prior to a patch being released.
While I wholly agree patchnotes certainly don't need to be written out beforehand (it's nice to get a bit of a surprise on the release of the patch tbh), it would be good to have more dev blogs, on top of a meta-strategy, an overall plan for the community to look at and comment on. I haven't read every thread suggesting a roadmap, but I think this is what more or less people are asking for.

Nobody is asking for patch notes before the patch being released, and this honestly comes across as you misinterpreting what I wrote on purpose.

You don't have to disclose what you are working on if you don't want to. It's not like we can force you. But y'all (with y'all being whoever is in charge, I know it's not on you personally) know very well what the community is asking of you, and you are deliberately choosing not do it. Please do not insult our intelligence by pretending that the list you posted is a roadmap. That list is pretty much the equivalent of you posting "yeah we're doing stuff".

it would be good to have more dev blogs, on top of a meta-strategy, an overall plan for the community to look at and comment on
The community is generally made aware of most short to medium term content that has seen sufficient work. LH fight was showcased back in december (6 months). The battle terrain system in february (4 months). Both of these are still work in progress, because they were shared as early as we could reasonably do so.

Nobody is asking for patch notes before the patch being released, and this honestly comes across as you misinterpreting what I wrote on purpose.
That was directly in response to your inquiry here
What are the current big priorities that y'all aim to deliver with next patch?
Of course, that is not asking for patch notes exactly - just the notable content planned to be included in the patch. I wanted to be clear that currently there is no intention to have a general "this big priority will be in that patch" type of announcement. And if you are looking for notable WIP priorities without a specific patch timeline, that exists in the provided statements.

Please do not insult our intelligence by pretending that the list you posted is a roadmap. That list is pretty much the equivalent of you posting "yeah we're doing stuff".
They are public statements regarding our current priorities. I brought them up to be sure that the OP is aware of them.

Hi there Duh :smile:
course, that is not asking for patch notes exactly - just the notable content planned to be included in the patch. I wanted to be clear that currently there is no intention to have a general "this big priority will be in that patch" type of announcement. And if you are looking for notable WIP priorities without a specific patch timeline, that exists in the provided statements.
I think this is exactly what is being asked for... But why not? People don't need full details or patch x patch breakdown, even just some kind of mildly arted up png with text like:
June - Rebellions (SP) | Duel mode(MP) -
July - Custom Banners(SP+MP) | Battle Mode(MP) -
August - (more stuffs idk)

Hey Ruthven, nice to see you still around :smile:

But why not?
I think this covers it.
The statements are a balance between sharing current work in progress and not building false impressions / expectations. Both of which are concerns that the community has voiced. Having said that, I do think additional information can be added. (And is, if people inquire in the thread. In particular after initial posting, but also at a later point - when there is time. They are ofc also updated when we release a new statement.)
The current approach allows us to talk about stuff that is in progress without creating false expectations. It can still happen of course (war reasons in 1.6.0 f.e.) but it is much less frequent or significant than in prior times. The statements themselves took some time to get approved as well.

@Duh_TaleWorlds @SadShogun You guys got any news or hints about revisions to the medicine skill learning rate or new ways to raise it? I know something is being worked on, but I'm I'll take any little info snacks I can get! I'm looking very forward to any improvement in this area. I also wonder, do you have any revisions for the means to level Leadership in the works? Many players would like to raise it without using armies.

Hey Ruthven, nice to see you still around :smile:

I think this covers it.

The current approach allows us to talk about stuff that is in progress without creating false expectations. It can still happen of course (war reasons in 1.6.0 f.e.) but it is much less frequent or significant than in prior times. The statements themselves took some time to get approved as well.
I don't agree with this, and I think that this is where our differences are. Here is an example of a game that is doing it very successfully:

They had a wonderful Early Access so far, their roadmap contains reasonable and attainable goals, it lets the community know what is coming next and keeps the development team accountable. They had no major misunderstandings with the community, at least that I am aware of. It's not that easy to be misunderstood when you communicate clearly, and you will not under-deliver as long as you are very conservative with setting the goals.

The reason why your bosses refuse to do something similar is because they are failing at managing, and something like this would expose all the nasties that are currently being kept well hidden under the rug. If I were in their place I would actually welcome it, because it would force me to be better, but clearly they feel differently.

And to be clear, I am definitely frustrated with this, but my frustration is not directed at you. You are not responsible for this, I appreciate you taking the time to talk to us and I frankly do not envy your position one bit. All that's left is for us to look at the rest of the development process and see how y'all do. Good luck.

The dev diaries already created plenty of apparently false expectations so I think we're past that being a relevant issue here.

You are aware of these I take it?

Hahahaha, um mods you going to let this bait slide by?

I don't agree with this, and I think that this is where our differences are. Here is an example of a game that is doing it very successfully:

Their team is also really really good at replying to questions with meaningful information.

I also think they are a much smaller team though and probably have more control over what they're allowed to say and the direction the game goes

Back
Top Bottom