What made you laugh today - Fifth Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Visited Kronborg castle in Elsinore (famous for Hamlet)
Of course there's this thing in the shop
Ftmak.jpg

Huh, I thought all the potheads were claiming legal weed would bring in zillions of tax dollars every minute.

"Many cannabis growers, retailers and manufacturers have struggled to make the transition from a provisional, temporary license to a permanent one renewed on an annual basis — a process that requires a costly, complicated and time-consuming review of the negative environmental effects involved in a businesses and a plan for reducing those harms."
So give some of these businesses money to pay for the cost of getting the licence instead of making the licence process less expensive or time consuming? Seems sense.

The explanation sounds like a typical progre cope. I think people just keep buying off the streets from the cartels, because weed zombies think that because on the front end they deal with my weed guy who's like totally chill bro, then the market is not controlled by organized crime.

Of course, yeah. I jumped a couple wagons in my train of thought. People buy because it's cheaper and in states where possession is legal, they risk nothing by doing so. Exactly, they don't give a ****, but then they also paint all things pot as a completely harmless endeavor, even your grandma probably uses some for her arthritis etc. I don't think it's so super benign on the user end either, but yeah, probably not many people out there robbing convenience stores or carjacking or giving 5 dollar bjs at truck stops to finance their crippling weed habit :razz: but the industry is still mostly run by organized crime.

I swear kurczak sometimes I think you have worms in your brain.

We identified 1110 cannabis retailers in California (448 licensed and 662 unlicensed)
Market entry and displacing incumbents is a transition, not something that happens overnight, not even over years. Otherwise, you're implying that you can break into a market and expect to have a 100% share every time.

Surely there is room between overtaking a market overnight and having to ask for alms after 5 years of business while having the advantage of being able to conduct and advertise openly.

Or we can admit that California is a stage 4 ****hole and probably the first entity in history to lose money dealing drugs :ROFLMAO:

We can only work with the info we have, but capturing roughly 40% of the market share in 5 years is typically big. Like, you can't actually hold that ''crime still exists, therefore, crime-fighting is a futile effort.'' The point is that it reduces criminal economic opportunities/activity. And the reduction by virtue of reversing the war on drugs is huge in the US, afaik. In the end, just legalizing everything won't make the crime go away, of course. You have to combine it with other social/economic stuff.

California is one of the most economically successful places in the world, I think. It's richer than like 70% of the US combined.

I don't even know, if I am a crime-enabler and apologist or a law-and-order fascist anymore.

I swear, Rams, sometimes you have GDP on your brain. I'm really happy for the Hollywood execs and the Silicon Valley lizard aliens, but the rest of the state is polluted af, has had like 15 years of non-stop drought, meth AND opioid epidemic, gang violence, homelessnes etc etc. People usually use the Appalachia as a metonym for misery in America, but it's places like Bakersfield where dreams and hopes die a slow and agonizing death.

I wasn't accusing you of anything. I simplified your argument to ''crime still exists, therefore, crime fighting is a futile effort'' to hopefully demonstrate that it was silly. I also acknowledged that only legalizing drugs is not going to cut it. Policies, both economic and social, need to complement each other. The idea is that crime is an economic opportunity, taken advantage of by organized criminals. The solutions here are making sure you minimize the possible profitable proceeds from crime. When crime stops being profitable, it stops being an economic opportunity, and you stop enabling criminals. But you also need to give people other opportunities for them not to just move on to the next available criminal opportunity. In the abstract, you also offer people some form of employment or education as opportunities that should have more value to a hypothetical person on the crossroad choosing between legal and illegal activities.

I don't like to get personal, but I think the problem with you is that you think that listing a bunch of negatives, exaggerating them, and tailoring in a narrative is a sufficient argument. It's very similar to the Wokescold people to me personally, equally harmful, too. California is ranked the 6th most happy state in the US, apparantly. But you can find other sources that put it lower on the list (but always far above the national average).
The sixth-happiest state in the U.S. is California. California ranks seventh for Emotional & Physical Well-Being with the fourth-lowest adult depression rate. Californians also have the fifth-fewest work hours. Weather is a big factor for California’s happiness as many parts experience mild weather year-round. A separate study by WalletHub that ranked the ten happiest cities included eight California cities in the top ten. California is considered to have the best weather among U.S. states.

Back
Top Bottom