Elephant DLC?

Users who are viewing this thread

I think main problem in TW is how to have full modding freedom and also make momey from DLC. Because let us be honest. DLC are just payable mods.
And modders could just copy content from DLC so people will not buy them.
Except that there's plenty of games that let people mod and still sold all the DLCs they wanted to sell. If a company is afraid of competition from modders they should probably just close shop.

Not white knighting or anything, but no one has pointed out that it could be free, unpaid, optional content. Like how Steam packages PC ports of console games HD Texture packs as DLC. It's free, and optional, so you get to opt-in.

Like it's not exactly immersion breaking, but I would want Elephants to be an option I can turn off if there no one actually using them.

Indeed. If the DLC comes with elephant-mounting troops, new functionality that lets the elephants attack etc, it will be fine. Mods can use that functionality to make other mounts like dragons, for example. Of course, people can make a free mod for people who can't or don't want to afford the DLC due to various reasons. Taleworlds wouldn't have to worry because in this day and age, as long as the game is good and people like it, people are willing to pay for things like this just to support the devs. That's a big if, however.

Im gonna support them in dlcs of course. But, if they want to make 50 little dlcs, and 10 big ones; i can accept this policy only if they put all dlc groups in bundles and make %50 discounts at each few months from the beginning. Individual prices for lil ones can can be 1$ for each. 50cent is good for all littles at bundle-discount. So, im not a fan of many dlcs, however, with suitable prices & regular %50 off discounts(each lil dlcs cannbe .50 off at beginning), it seems ok.

Payday or call of wild did/does high prices at lil dlcs, & no enough discounts/ratios. Which is bad.

The better system that i would like to see is that making 3 different support dlcs with 10/20/40$ and its cosmetics. Then only selling modes like S&M etc. No paid cosmetics as dlc, unless buyinh supporter dlcs.

Btw, its good to see elephant. Need more!

Last edited:
You guys should be happy it's not something actually useful (that might arrive in a patch to the base game).
With this way of thinking, very soon we will "should be happy" that they gave us the opportunity to run around and swords and other stuff is clearly DLC-content.

We SHOULDN"T be happy that they are selling something useful, and we SHOULDN'T support this approach at all!

If it's like $2 I'd buy it. At least it's not utter nonsense like the blood packs in Total War.
It all starts with something simple and ends up with the blood packs and the amount of DLC in Dead or Alive 6...

P.S. Judging by the YouTube, blood pack for Three Kingdoms looks awful. And many people bought it anyway.

People talking about supporting this elephant sh-it when the game has myriad issues and is shallow as hell. So sad it's pathetic. No wonder they are moving to consoles.

Not white knighting or anything, but no one has pointed out that it could be free, unpaid, optional content.
I'm hoping this is the case.

Aside from this specific DLC, I find it difficult to imagine TW attempting to go toe-to-toe with modders and charging for official DLC that may already be possible with current/future modding tools. For example, we already have naval travel, with works on naval combat, and that was a DLC idea that Armagan mentioned way back when. Furthermore, any DLC packs regarding items and troop overhauls/creations are already possible with mods that allow even newbie modders to create their own troop trees/custom troops.

I have no reason to believe that TW would now purposefully suppress modders for their own DLC, so I kind of have the opinion this is content that might make its way at the full release or part of a patch.

Consider buying the DLC a donation. You donate money for the company to continue development (because plot twist: programmers and artists are expensive, and buying the game once is likely not gonna sustain them forever), and in return you receive a small token of appreciation (the elephant). Nobody forces you to do it though.

Elephants ? Can't say i saw that one coming. Initial impression though is that Elephants are hardly on the top of my DLC wishlist when it comes to Bannerlord.

Not writing it off immediately though, who knows what the final endproduct for the DLC will look like ? Minor clans with Elephant riders ? Elephant armour ? Who knows.

Nothing to do but wait it out and see what awaits.

Consider buying the DLC a donation. You donate money for the company to continue development (because plot twist: programmers and artists are expensive, and buying the game once is likely not gonna sustain them forever), and in return you receive a small token of appreciation (the elephant). Nobody forces you to do it though.
I don't think that they need donations. They aren't Burekina faso, they made plenty of money with EA.

With this way of thinking, very soon we will "should be happy" that they gave us the opportunity to run around and swords and other stuff is clearly DLC-content.

We SHOULDN"T be happy that they are selling something useful, and we SHOULDN'T support this approach at all!
It's okay if they make non-essential stuff like elephants and sell them as add-ons. Those elephant-making devs may have nothing better to do for all we know and they are not responsible nor qualified for fixing other problems in the game.

Consider buying the DLC a donation.
No, usually this "donation" is an extra payment for the content which has been cut from the original game and sold for the extra fee. Pay for the game to pay for it once more.

Even the Witcher 3 DLCs were cut from the original game which pisses me off.

I don't think that they need donations. They aren't Burekina faso, they made plenty of money with EA.

Eh... you have taxes and steam cut, so basically they kept around 50% of the sales.
A programmer can easily earn 30-40$ / hour. If you have lots of them, the money runs out fast.

Eh... you have taxes and steam cut, so basically they kept around 50% of the sales.
A programmer can easily earn 30-40$ / hour. If you have lots of them, the money runs out fast.
It's a poor argument since they have made a few 100s of millions in EA sales - at full price. And they themselves said the profits would support work on Bannerlord for years to come. So any DLC money would make the owners get richer and would hardly go to the programmers so they can buy bread for their many children or something.

Greetings,

For game development companies, it is standard to do R&D as part of the regular processes. This is done for the base product as well as potential future additions. The work might or might not be released to an end-user. This is why it's usually only announced when it's largely ready - to avoid false expectations.

The model accidentally released was something being tried by a team member who had no remaining tasks and pretty much the entire Bannerlord team is busy working on early access features.

Any assets created by Taleworlds are, of course, protected under copyright law and they cannot be released as part of mods unless prior permission is obtained.

Back
Top Bottom