Smithing

Users who are viewing this thread

So a few days ago I started looking for ways to make money and oh boy I did. I was trying to get out of debt (tribute payments ???), didn't even want to play the game, so I wouldn't mess up my save and started to look for ways to get some denars (without cheating). I made a post about tribute payments, read other posts and found that I could earn some denars if I went to war with some factions and fought lords, sold their equipment. This of course is not a bad solution, but it didn't do the job for me. I still wasn't earning enough money. So I read some more posts and found that crafting javelins and 2h swords would solve the money issue. I immediately tried it out and it was really really good. At first I crafted a 2h sword with random parts, not the best one I could and found that it costs 30k. That solved my problem. After that I crafted another one. This time I used the best parts I had learned to see how much it would cost this time. To my surprise it cost just 1k. I didn't do any big testing, crafted another sword (tried going for max length) and found that sword length played a huge role in their prices. This time my 2h sword had ****ty tier 2 parts, but had a cost of 100k. Also I was getting 5 skill points in smithing for each 2h sword crafted even though I had 150 in smithing already.

I don't know if it is supposed to be this way. I just wanted everyone to know that this exists.

Yeah, it's well known that hand craft is very highly appreciated in Calradia. Especially if you're able to craft pointy things.

So a few days ago I started looking for ways to make money and oh boy I did. I was trying to get out of debt (tribute payments ???), didn't even want to play the game, so I wouldn't mess up my save and started to look for ways to get some denars (without cheating). I made a post about tribute payments, read other posts and found that I could earn some denars if I went to war with some factions and fought lords, sold their equipment. This of course is not a bad solution, but it didn't do the job for me. I still wasn't earning enough money. So I read some more posts and found that crafting javelins and 2h swords would solve the money issue. I immediately tried it out and it was really really good. At first I crafted a 2h sword with random parts, not the best one I could and found that it costs 30k. That solved my problem. After that I crafted another one. This time I used the best parts I had learned to see how much it would cost this time. To my surprise it cost just 1k. I didn't do any big testing, crafted another sword (tried going for max length) and found that sword length played a huge role in their prices. This time my 2h sword had ****ty tier 2 parts, but had a cost of 100k. Also I was getting 5 skill points in smithing for each 2h sword crafted even though I had 150 in smithing already.

I don't know if it is supposed to be this way. I just wanted everyone to know that this exists.
it's not intended and it's known for a long time. Smithing might be completely overhauled in the future. Just a word of advice though, you might get bored with the game with using smithing for money. It's basically a money cheat, there is no need for managing your economy if you do smithing, so it does take away from the experience. I never sell crafted weapons and I only smelt them instead, just an idea. Still, if you prefer selling crafted stuff go right ahead, but the current smithing situation will most likely change in the future.

I want to add on to the "just beat people up" advice (I often give), one benefit of just beating people up is you're mobile and not having to wait in town for stamina to smith. There can be situations in war where you just can't regen stamina all the time (or ever) so getting proficient in just taking down everyone is something you want to learn anyways.

Smithing is just not integrated into the game well currently and feels out of whack both in terms of money making and in terms of skill gains.

I don't sell smithing weapons, but I use companions to craft, just because I do like having a custom weapon. I also find there are hardly any top tier maces in shops and I don't want to spend forever checking town inventories in regions away from the lands I am busy in.

One thing they definitely need to do is make weapons you craft and smelt give you recipes for parts in their category and perhaps in their tier, not completely random recipes. I would also base sell price on tier and materials cost strictly. If the exact parts of what I smelt aren't unlocked those should maybe be prioritized: smelt Iron Spatha: unlock Iron Spatha part.

It's already annoying to have to go to the Khergits to get the only decent bows(aside from noble which is late game $$$) for mounted archery despite several factions using the same bow.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's well known that hand craft is very highly appreciated in Calradia. Especially if you're able to craft pointy things.

And weirdly enough you're the only one in the whole of Calradia who can hand-craft swords.
All the other weapons are mass produced with child labor and imported from Calrasia.

Back
Top Bottom