POLL: Would you be OK with TW intentionally restricting modders?

Would you be OK with TW intentionally restricting modders?

• Yes

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • Only for mods that would compete with DLC/microtransactions

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Only for mods that use 3rd-party IP

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Only during Early Access

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 126 68.5%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • For some diabolical reason, I DON'T like turtles

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

bonerstorm

Genghis Khan't
Sergeant
As news of the devs latest responses in the Open Letter from modders megathread spreads, a number of community members have suggested that TaleWorlds might be intentionally restricting mod development for our own good - either to protect their bottom line for DLC/microtransations or to avoid litigation over 3rd-party IP. Others have suggested that it was insane to allow mod development at all during Early Access and mods should only be available after release.

To be clear: @Duh_TaleWorlds said that the use of Internal is *NOT* to restrict mod development, but to enforce good coding practices internally at TaleWorlds.

The question is: if TaleWorlds were intentionally restricting modders, would you be OK with that?

The poll is a bit useless. Its like asking chicken wether they want to be slaughtered or not.
Absolute modding capability is as much of players interest as is lowering the price of the game to zero.

The question is: Why is TW interested in limiting modders?
Is it for selling DLC?
Is it out of fear their codebase could be copied?
Is it really just because they want to keep their codebase clean?

If they were worried about mods using third party IP, they wouldn't allow importing 3D models. But they do, so it clearly isn't a concern.

I think Taleworlds are being blamed unfairly on this one and they are not doing anything stupid intentionally, they just have their collective heads too far up their asses to comprehend what modders want. This should change shortly and we'll love them again, just like we learned to love turtles.
With one exception: the lack of MP custom servers is just evil and there's no excuse for it.

I simply don't play this game without mods, that's why I'm in 1.5.8,and some of the mods I like stopped in that version.
So, basically, I don't care about future patches, for me in this moment, the game stops in 1.5.8.

Although it is frustrating, it's understandable they would keep at least some of those "barriers" until the end of EA... granted it doesn't last for another 3 years.

If they were worried about mods using third party IP, they wouldn't allow importing 3D models. But they do, so it clearly isn't a concern.
Yeah I'm not suggesting it's plausible. I just wanted to prove a point that - even if that weren't obviously an insane explanation with zero evidence - the vast majority of the fans would be screaming bloody murder if it were true - which of renders the argument moot.

And I'm just tired of hearing that nonsense. Only one guy brought it up in the open letter thread, but a ton of people on Steam and Reddit are openly suggesting that restricting mod development (which TW hasn't even admitted to doing) is 100% the right and just thing to do :roll:

I think Taleworlds are being blamed unfairly on this one and they are not doing anything stupid intentionally, they just have their collective heads too far up their asses to comprehend what modders want. This should change shortly and we'll love them again, just like we learned to love turtles.
With one exception: the lack of MP custom servers is just evil and there's no excuse for it.
Sounds legit. My reaction was it's either greed or stupidity. I lean slightly towards stupidity, but there's evidence to support both.

The one thing that I 100% believe - in either scenario - is that there's at least one person in TaleWorlds' chain of command who is making arbitrary decisions and refuses to take into account fan feedback. TW Community reps bear all the hallmarks of one-way messengers with no power to change minds on the other side of the fence.

Those arbitrary and irreversible decisions may be because they're too dumb to consider feedback, or because they see greater gain in ignoring it. It's tough to tell because greed and stupidity often go hand-in-hand.

TW should prioritice to finish their game before caring for modding capability. And they do. Good reason not to open up the Stean Workshop.

I answered "Yes" because I don't care what they do, if it helps them to work better and with less "jidder in the filters".

I know modding capability is important for more or less everyone except me. So after release, I "revoke" my "Yes" in favour for turtles.

i thought you were changed bonerman
CBWgCozWUAAT4pN.jpg

To be clear: @Duh_TaleWorlds said that the use of Internal is *NOT* to restrict mod development, but to enforce good coding practices internally at TaleWorlds.
that sounds plausible, if it's true that some taleworlds employees are kinda newbies. Anyhow, I expect full modding support at the end of the EA, it always felt a bit weird to me to give full modding support during EA as per people's demands when a lot of stuff, including code refactors are pretty much always happening... Every update breaks mods... If I was a modder I would clearly demand answers and solutions to the problems I'm facing, but at the same time I wouldn't really hurry to make a big mod like a total conversion mod until EA was over, but to each his own. 1.6.0 is right around the corner (this week or next), so at least be a little more patient and see what changes the devs have made regarding those restrictions.

So I guess my vote is for "Only during Early Access".

Last edited:
So I guess my vote is for "Only during Early Access".
"Early Access" is just a phrase. When you give people your game, they would immediately want to mod it, so no one should be surprised that mods would be made and sought by players as soon as any release is made. It's just how people work.
Taleworlds can't tell the modders "don't mod now, we are busy - come back later", even if that sounds rational. And if they do tell them, they'll lose many players reliant on mods to fix the game (which is probably the majority of them still playing).
The conclusion is don't release a game if you don't want people to mod it.

I like this guy - anyone willing to go out with a fight earns my appreciation, im just here for the show.
no fighting here brother just peace and love!!

OTHER THAN CRYION THE WHITE KNIGHT MODERATOR HE WANTS TO MUTE ME FOR MONTHS AND GIVE ME 6 POINTS ON MY DRIVING LICENSE FOR CALLING SOMEONE A CLOWN FOR WHJAT FOR WHAT

Why don't you use only two options?? Yes or No, for linguistic or cultural reasons and stupidity, I miss the turtles joke meaning.

i thought you were changed bonerman
CBWgCozWUAAT4pN.jpg
I made the second option just for you :love:
I like this guy - anyone willing to go out with a fight earns my appreciation, im just here for the show.
I don't expect a ban or suspension for challenging TW. Mods and devs seem a lot more chill this year than they were last year.

If I do catch a ban - well I guess that says something too?
Why don't you use only two options?? Yes or No, for linguistic or cultural reasons and stupidity, I miss the turtles joke meaning.
It's a reference to this internet meme. It's commonly used in internet polls to provide a "No Opinion" option for people who just want to see the results or who want it to be known that a substantial portion of the voting base doesn't care. It's also used as an expression by memers as a joking response to a heated or complex conversation that they either don't understand or don't have a stake in.

Guy 1: "Coca Cola is awesome because X"
Guy 2: "Pepsi is much better because Y"
Guy 3: "I like turtles"

The question is: if TaleWorlds were intentionally restricting modders, would you be OK with that?

Unfortunately, they are intentionally restricting modders, because they're intentionally using the internal modifier - maybe not for the sole reason to prevent modding, but it's a consequence none-the-less and they're fully aware and fine with it.

They don't have to use the internal modifier, more suitable modifiers exist, such as private.

Even IF they really want to keep using the modifier for "ensuring good coding practices" (lol) - they could easily replace these modifiers before releasing the public builds, but they could still work with the original code.

Back
Top Bottom