Bannerlord was a grift

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conclusion: Bannerlord was a Grift
With all this being said, I think it is safe to include that, while perhaps Taleworlds intentions when they first developed Bannerlord wanted to make a better game, the idea of grandeur and money probably got the best of them. It's hard to exactly pinpoint when Taleworlds decided that money was more important than keeping fans happy, but I would wager around 2015-2016 was when the idea of an excellent game was thrown out the window in favor of cash. Do you agree?
I don't think you understand what the word grift means, given the game stuck in development hell for 10 years and no, that does not mean these 10 years were productive. And sure, at some point there is some pressure to release something... which they did and it works.

So ultimately: What's your point? Disliking the game? Okay... Disliking Taleworld? Okay... and then. Not buy anything by them again? Okay...
And now?

I mean, I come back to this game after 1 year and enoy myself and people still haven't moved on from it if they dislike it. I don't get the obsession here. There at least some other guys with medieval multiplayer combat now... why not try these if Taleworlds obviously does not tickle your taste anymore? People, companies and things do change inside a decade, you know.

So ultimately: What's your point? Disliking the game? Okay... Disliking Taleworld? Okay... and then. Not buy anything by them again? Okay...
And now?
They can't move on from TW games. They are like possessive boyfriend whom no longer love their partner but cant let her go hahahaha.

Honestly all we ask is for some transparency at this point. If they're really just having that much hard time with it, they can just outright bloody tell us. I certainly won't witchhunt a company that actually admits it's having difficulties with development and it would make sense as to why so many features were scrapped during development, so long as they actually start developing the rest of the features everyone wanted upon release or sometime before release. I'd be fine if they first developed a game, then refined the basic features, then add some more beef on the bones and add the features the players wanted and just implement them by order of least to most difficult, then release and then update the game with more features that couldn't be added during development, and maybe, just maybe update the players on the developmental progress? I'm starting to think they're basically just trying to stop Sauron, kill Alduin, stop Molag Bal, kill the Ender Dragon and beat Getting Over It all at once.
This. TW could at least state why they aren't implementing so many features.

If they don't tell us we have to assume the worst:
To complex? TW lacks competence.
Doesn't fit in their view of the finished product? TW already got its money from the fanbase, now they are catering to console players. No need to implement stuff hardcore fans want.

I don't think you understand what the word grift means, given the game stuck in development hell for 10 years and no, that does not mean these 10 years were productive. And sure, at some point there is some pressure to release something... which they did and it works.

And now?

I mean, I come back to this game after 1 year and enoy myself and people still haven't moved on from it if they dislike it. I don't get the obsession here. There at least some other guys with medieval multiplayer combat now... why not try these if Taleworlds obviously does not tickle your taste anymore? People, companies and things do change inside a decade, you know.
Just because you enjoy it doesn't mean the game is objectively good. A lot of casual gamers will not care that they're wasting their time playing a shell of a product but if you're someone who wants an actual good game, a game that breaks the barriers and sets a standard then they're the ones complaining because it's rare for a game company to not play it safe nowadays.

Just because you enjoy it doesn't mean the game is objectively good. A lot of casual gamers will not care that they're wasting their time playing a shell of a product but if you're someone who wants an actual good game, a game that breaks the barriers and sets a standard then they're the ones complaining because it's rare for a game company to not play it safe nowadays.
Couldn't agree more, especially since the game TW advertised in their old devblogs is very different from what we got. It's not like long time fans had unreasonable expectations.

grift: "a petty or small-scale swindle."

I think that the large list of features that were in Warband and/or advertised as being in Bannerlord makes this at least a "small-scale swindle". Either that or the $40 I spent on this makes it small-scale i dunno

grift: "a petty or small-scale swindle."

I think that the large list of features that were in Warband and/or advertised as being in Bannerlord makes this at least a "small-scale swindle". Either that or the $40 I spent on this makes it small-scale i dunno
A small scale swindle in a larger swindle scheme

And now?

What is the point of people like you belittling us for voicing our opinions?

If everyone who expected more out of BL left, then this place would be a ghost town and you'd be alone with a handful of other people plus one broken game. We regularly have polls on this forum and it's become clear that 80-90% of us are pissed with the state of development.

BL is arguably a bigger failure than Anthem as far as expectations vs delivered product. BL's only saving grace is that it received less critical attention. All further development of Anthem has been canceled and, if you don't want the same to happen to BL, you should be grateful that there are still enough people who care about this game to complain about it.

I'm just going to say it: if you like this game as-is, then you are not normal. This is a very shallow, grindy game on par with a lazy MMO. Even if YOU don't want more out of it, you should hope that there is more because otherwise nobody's going to support it.

A small scale swindle in a larger swindle scheme
I wouldn't go that far.

The game has a lot of features you don't know are actually there because they are badly communicated to the player.

Also a lot of the promises made are actually technicaly in the game (even if their implementation is so weak they might as well not.).

A lot of what TW promised beforehand was open for interpretation and thus easy to missunderstand and hype.

I have the feeling that a lot of the promises made were done so without actually knowing how the finished project will look like. Also people presenting BL at GamesCon didn't seem to know and just made stuff up. So it is more naivety than mallice on TW's side I believe.

In the end there is little concrete stuff left to put TW in the light of a deliberate scammer.

Don't get me wrong. I cannot imagine that nobody at TW knew that the game would be this badly received by its community and yet still they didn't calm our expectations neither before nor during EA.

For me thats the grift. They knew they needed us to buy and hype the game at launch to make money. They couldn't afford to lower expectations neither could they afford to tell us the truth about the future of this game. There are still people who believe the game will be what was shown in 2016 gameplay footage and it is because TW is relatively silent about their plans.

If you read between the lines they stated very clear though that the game is as is and is here to stay like that.

I think legally TW is in the clear and by the carefull wording by them in this forum and elswere I think they know that and want to keep it that way. Thats why communication is limited.

What is the point of people like you belittling us for voicing our opinions?
Learn reading. I did not belittle your opinion, I pointed out that you should reflect on the obsession it implies if you keep at it for 12+ months over an inane topic like a game. It's unhealthy and I actually worry for people displaying these behaviors.

If everyone who expected more out of BL left, then this place would be a ghost town and you'd be alone with a handful of other people plus one broken game. We regularly have polls on this forum and it's become clear that 80-90% of us are pissed with the state of development.
I never claimed to not post ideas, suggestions. I mainly put off by the same **** that was already said 12 months ago still being a thing. If the game sucks, let the game suck.

BL is arguably a bigger failure than Anthem as far as expectations vs delivered product. ...
Yes, that arguable because it is hyperbolic nonsense.
I'm just going to say it: if you like this game as-is, then you are not normal. This is a very shallow, grindy game on par with a lazy MMO. Even if YOU don't want more out of it, you should hope that there is more because otherwise nobody's going to support it.
Now who is belittling people?

And what kind of broken logic is that? I am fine with the game as is as in: It clocked in the expected number of hours for my recreation. If none supports this game anymore... so what? You say the game is ****e. Ergo, you should want it not to be supported.

If you were objectively treating the matter however, then Bannelord is a good upgrade of Warband. It does not do much more and shuffles some features around aka some are missing other stuff added. But you can get your grindy looter murder hobo fix on just fine. Just like what 99% of Warband was. That game was not very deep beyond the combat either, Bannerlord is as deep as a puddle, Warband was as deep as damp towel. Yay! Improvement!
And if you complain that after 10 years they should have done more... well, 10 years indicates a ****ed up project plan and the alternative is really just playing Deliverance, Chivalry, Medieval Dynasty or some other medieval setting game... which I would be fine with, too. But Bannerlord is right there and fine to switch your brain off.

But anyhow, just picked up the game again after a long while being busy with life which is the only reason I revisited this ****show of a forum and find the same whining and whinging going on as last year. Have "fun" with that, I guess? So for my own sanity I will leave and do stuff that is enjoyable. This behavior here does not feel, look and smell enjoyable or healthy. So I honestly which you all a good time in 2021. May all the craziness of 2020 disappear.

We might meet each other in 2022

Edit: And as last addition because I know how these frenzies work. I am not commenting on people bringing suggestion, bug reports, complaints in a normal manner to improve the game. Or people investing their sweat and time doing great mods and improvements. My comments are solely about people showing these rather obesessive behaviors to declaring this game the biggest catastrophe of 2020 ever and then obsessiving in this forum over that.

Last edited:
For me thats the grift. They knew they needed us to buy and hype the game at launch to make money. They couldn't afford to lower expectations neither could they afford to tell us the truth about the future of this game. There are still people who believe the game will be what was shown in 2016 gameplay footage and it is because TW is relatively silent about their plans.
I think they would have been fine if they were just honest from the start. Most of us would have been OK to get in on the ground floor of something that will be crap now but could be made awesome later through mods - especially if they'd actually lived up to their promises on making the game mod-friendly.

We only have high standards because they lied to our faces for years. Honestly they still could take like a month to re-implement features they'd cut that were in Warband just through copy-pasting and we'd be happy - buggy game or no.

THAT is the most frustrating thing: the devs have made Bannerlord into a completely different game than the one we played before and have expressed wild-eyed confusion at us when we've dared to suggest that we quite liked some things in Warband that they don't even remember.
Yes. I absolutely belittle you for belittling people like me. What? Did you expect anything different? Where do you get off thinking that you can freely piss in our Cheerios but we're supposed to be polite in return?
If you were objectively treating the matter however, then Bannelord is a good upgrade of Warband. It does not do much more and shuffles some features around aka some are missing other stuff added. But you can get your grindy looter murder hobo fix on just fine. Just like what 99% of Warband was. That game was not very deep beyond the combat either, Bannerlord is as deep as a puddle, Warband was as deep as damp towel. Yay! Improvement!
LOL no. Name one thing in Bannerlord that is objectively deeper than it was in Warband. Next question: does it remotely f***ing work?

WB had many more features than BL and they all actually functioned, even before being greatly improved by mods.

BL has like... better siege combat? I guess? But that's been bugged from day one. The combat is less tactical... the quests are less varied... the companions are less colorful... the economy is less functional... the diplomacy is nonexistent... Sure, BL has better graphics... But that doesn't make it "deeper".
But anyhow, just picked up the game again after a long while being busy with life which is the only reason I revisited this ****show of a forum and find the same whining and whinging going on as last year. Have "fun" with that, I guess? So for my own sanity I will leave and do stuff that is enjoyable. This behavior here does not feel, look and smell enjoyable or healthy. So I honestly which you all a good time in 2021. May all the craziness of 2020 disappear.
Yes. You're here to ***** at us after a long sojourn of not playing the game because the game isn't very fun. Same here. Do you want a cookie for that?

sWsCp1p.jpg

Learn reading. I did not belittle your opinion, I pointed out that you should reflect on the obsession it implies if you keep at it for 12+ months over an inane topic like a game. It's unhealthy and I actually worry for people displaying these behaviors.

I never claimed to not post ideas, suggestions. I mainly put off by the same **** that was already said 12 months ago still being a thing. If the game sucks, let the game suck.

Yes, that arguable because it is hyperbolic nonsense.

And what kind of broken logic is that? I am fine with the game as is as in: It clocked in the expected number of hours for my recreation. If none supports this game anymore... so what? You say the game is ****e. Ergo, you should want it not to be supported.

And if you complain that after 10 years they should have done more... well, 10 years indicates a ****ed up project plan and the alternative is really just playing Deliverance, Chivalry, Medieval Dynasty or some other medieval setting game... which I would be fine with, too. But Bannerlord is right there and fine to switch your brain off.

We might meet each other in 2022

Edit: And as last addition because I know how these frenzies work. I am not commenting on people bringing suggestion, bug reports, complaints in a normal manner to improve the game. Or people investing their sweat and time doing great mods and improvements. My comments are solely about people showing these rather obesessive behaviors to declaring this game the biggest catastrophe of 2020 ever and then obsessiving in this forum over that.
Please face the wall you baiting ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom