What does the community want?

Which one of these best applies to you at the moment?

• I play Bannerlord Multiplayer

• I would play Bannerlord Multiplayer if we had dedicated servers.

• I would play Bannerlord Multiplayer if we had multiplayer mods.

• I am a mod developer and am waiting for MP mods support.

• I am a mod developer and I need more SP modding support.

• I would play Bannerlord singleplayer if it were expanded further.

• I only play Bannerlord Singleplayer and am not interested in the Multiplayer experince

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

OP got called a liar because what OP was saying is simply verifiably false.
Well, lying is when you know you're saying the wrong thing. When you legit don't know or get it wrong, it's not lying.

A coder would know that it's not "simply".
Depends. If you mean the action of changing it, yes. Very simple. Especially when it's changing it from private/internal to public, and not the other way around.

If you mean the whole process of getting scolded by some pretentious QA **** saying it's not up to standard and it's in no way acceptable even when it means hindering your goal of providing a moddable game which your game's main selling point is about and get asked to defend that decision in a meeting at the risk of getting fired, yes it's not simple.

Please show some respect for new players. You are not as cool or "old school" as you might think. A little bit of humility would go a long way here.
This is not YOUR forum, this is the COMMUNITY'S forum.
With all due respect. Who the F made you the moral high horse of virtue.

The way you type with capital letters like that makes you seem like a pretty obnoxious person tbh.
Like you are talking down on everyone else.

That's the worst thing about this whole thread tbh.

And based on the way you type I'm starting to think "Phantom425" is your side account. Has all of the same post structure, capital letter and quote mark crap as you. If I am right in suspecting that, that is really sad.
Using two accounts to make it sound like you have a leg to stand on.

Tbh the whole way you have behaved in this post makes it seem like you created the thread because you enjoy a good argument.

I could be wrong. But that is just my impression.

With all due respect. Who the F made you the moral high horse of virtue.

The way you type with capital letters like that makes you seem like a pretty obnoxious person tbh.
Like you are talking down on everyone else.

That's the worst thing about this whole thread tbh.

And based on the way you type I'm starting to think "Phantom425" is your side account. Has all of the same post structure, capital letter and quote mark crap as you. If I am right in suspecting that, that is really sad.

Tbh the whole way you have behaved in this post makes it seem like you created the thread because you enjoy a good argument.

I could be wrong. But that is just my impression.
Well now that is just flaming, accusations, and insults. This is the exact type of behaviour I am talking about.
You are saying I am acting like a high horse of virtue, and you are acting like someone that really likes to analyse people. You have no idea how wrong you are.
And calling Phanton425 a side account is also an insult to him. You are being just disrespectful. Ask a moderator to check if this is true, and you should apologise.

OP got called a liar because what OP was saying is simply verifiably false. From where I am standing, he is the one raging because of being told that he is wrong (and @MadVader even went on to explain in detail why he was wrong). The way OP reacted to one of @Sundeki's post was definitely toxic and completely uncalled for, so much so that a moderator had to intervene. There are people who act like you say, but that is not what is happening here (well, one person did that, and they got muted for it).
OP is not perfect, and I am under no delusions that the toxicity is only on one side. However, OP was not the first person in this thread to respond to the talk points with hostility. And it isn't just one person being toxic, it is multiple. In the way that they dismiss others just because they did not make a forums account years ago and have been a member of this forum. Is Bannerlord in a perfect state or a masterpiece? No, it is a long ways away from that, but whenever someone is remotely positive about this game the arguments made against that person boil down to "You'll be blackpilled in a few months" or "I've been here longer then you so be quiet".
By the way, @MadVader was a prominent coder in one of the most successful mods ever made for Warband (actually, more than one). I say this not to put him on a pedestal, but because it means that he has interacted with the WB community and he actually has a decent understanding of what the community wants. He was part of a team that delivered an incredibly successful product in this community (for free, mind you). So maybe think about the fact that the "old school" community has many such people in it, and you will see why it is kind of silly to see someone new to this same community trying to school veterans on what the people really want.
While I respect the fact that he is a talented coder and a prominent member of the community, just because he is those things does not mean that he is right on every single thing. His whole point of "Simply get rid of the internal values", when I asked my friends who are CS majors going do a decent college have told me, and they very well could be wrong, that the process of changing all of the internal values to positive would be a time consuming and tedious task, which when compared to issues such as the siege AI and other things like that, pale in comparison in terms of importance.
"Adding and removing" internals when the modders explicitly asked for them to be removed is indeed telling them to GFY. You've basically told the people who are trying to get past the wall you built that you switched out a couple bricks and therefore that should do it. The wall is still there in its current form. Similarly, adding modifiers where they weren't previously is going to break existing mods for no reason other than "consistency" which it's already been pointed out in that thread is a reason that doesn't pass the smell test.
No, it isn't whatsoever. It is addressing that there is an issue, and also opening avenues in order to further communicate on that issue. TW has also elaborated that those are there for internal issues. There have been further solutions posted, but the stance that was given, and it is a fair stance, is to wait for the update to roll around and then take stock of the situation then. People who think that this is simply a "GFY" moment, when not even looking into what else TW has stated, is just not true.
Taleworlds already "brought down" good feedback by ignoring the **** out of it for upwards of 18 months. Being nice about it clearly did no good, while being angry at least gets us a response along the lines of "No this doesn't fit our vision for the game". They didn't need any rageposts to help them with that. In a theoretical world where Taleworlds actually listens to feedback the forum never got to this point anyways.
Being angry didn't get a response from the Kingdom of Arda letter, the letter got the response. It was a team effort to bring together prominent members of the community and to bring forward their complaints with the game. Wanton anger did not make TW respond to that thread, the letter did.
the whole forum has resolved to analogies, I feel like the bad grinch seeing people with even a glimpse of hope and happiness in these threads. its a cycle that keeps on going, from soon, to hope, to psychosis, denial and finally clarity; knowing that this game is just a lie.
I wouldn't call the game that we have a lie. Is it not finished? Yes. Is it still being worked on? Yes. To give up this early into EA, and one year for EA is still early, is just giving up way too soon on a product that all of us want to succeed.
I'm using proper grammar, and quoting when I need to quote. I guess every single book written by someone following the rules of English is all being written by the same person.

Last edited:
While I respect the fact that he is a talented coder and a prominent member of the community, just because he is those things does not mean that he is right on every single thing. His whole point of "Simply get rid of the internal values", when I asked my friends who are CS majors going do a decent college have told me, and they very well could be wrong, that the process of changing all of the internal values to positive would be a time consuming and tedious task, which when compared to issues such as the siege AI and other things like that, pale in comparison in terms of importance.
It's a trivial process of replacing one word with another in multiple files. It is not very "nice" in terms of style, but it does exactly what the modders want at no cost to Taleworlds.
I wouldn't call the game that we have a lie. Is it not finished? Yes. Is it still being worked on? Yes. To give up this early into EA, and one year for EA is still early, is just giving up way too soon on a product that all of us want to succeed.
The stated release date is in Q4, that's October to December. They have 4-6 months left and they already used 15 months of EA. That's not "early in the EA", that's late for anything non-trivial. It's still doubtful whether they can even deliver what they promised (the regional battle maps and the keep battles) and they certainly won't do more even if they make it. The released game will be what you see now.

Last edited:
Steam db most played games, web archieve, Warband rank throughout the years. There is no data before 2015 so we are looking the rank of Warband at least 5 years later its release. Three samples are selected for each year.

Now let's see Bannerlord.

I was planing to get more data on Bannerlord but for some reason steam db charts and its table stopped loading even if I enabled java script in my browser.

There is no EA excuse here after 8 years, I think. Warband mods made it clear what community wanted. As I said again and again, if TW just made improved version of Warband Diplomacy Mod, their avarage rank would be at least 30. Same goes for Multiplayer, like Orion or like Rhade stated in his well reasoned post at March 19 2018:
See, people are warning TW for 2 years straight about what is going to happen and appearantly they are talking to a wall. Make no mistake, I don't like see toxic posts but you came out of nowhere then claiming there was no constructive criticism in the community then also claiming that people here are just toxic for the sake of being toxic. This behaviour of yours is also kind of toxic @gesha17

Good info.

It's a trivial process of replacing one word with another in multiple files. It is not very "nice" in terms of style, but it does exactly what the modders want at no cost to Taleworlds.
Yes, it is trivial. It would also be time consuming. While I do hope that these all do get set to public at some point in the future, which I do think they will, I think there are more important things to focus on at the current moment. Siege AI is still broken, so that needs more attention at the moment. Hopefully, what happens in the 1.6.0 update is a step forwards rather then backwards, but they have opened up the chance to have further communication following the update.

Yes, it is trivial. It would also be time consuming. While I do hope that these all do get set to public at some point in the future, which I do think they will, I think there are more important things to focus on at the current moment. Siege AI is still broken, so that needs more attention at the moment. Hopefully, what happens in the 1.6.0 update is a step forwards rather then backwards, but they have opened up the chance to have further communication following the update.
Internal keywords are used when you want to limit accessibility of certain variables. The important reason being here is that it if you remove them it is probably going to break a part of the code, so you have to make sure that that doesn't happen. One could argue that this is just bad design on TW side, and they should have thought about that earlier, but in the end it is probably put there for a reason, whether technical or purposefully delaying certain features. While these variables CAN be changed, it is not "simply".

The act of removing is only time-consuming if you're not working with any IDE worth its salt. Search project (or projects) for "internal " (space intentional) -> quick review to remove any instances where "internal " is in a comment or variable somewhere or something -> replace with whatever you desire (Bloc suggested "private "). The technical implications of that is another story.

I'm curious as to your definition of "too early". I don't see 9 years of development (with a much larger team than Warband, remember) and 18+ months of feedback (including beta) that has been summarily ignored or tossed aside because "vision" as "too early".

"Opening more lines of communication" is a pointless endeavor when the request is as simple as it is. There's no more for the modders to say that they haven't already said. Modders want internals removed because it's blocking their development. Taleworlds said no because they want to "enforce good practices". Saying "wait for the new patch" is similarly pointless when we have no clue when it's coming, let alone when it'll be out of beta. It could be multiple months before modders can properly look at the new patch. Taleworlds told us nothing about the consistency changes other than "added some and removed some". That could be anywhere from remove 1 and add 99 to remove 99 and add 1. The fact that they didn't give us any information on that implies that it ended up being either close to no change or a net increase in the modifier count, since you'd think they would say they lowered the number if they could.

Duh said quite plainly "We won't drop the conventions that are important to our work", and internals are apparently VERY important conventions to their work. The internals are here to stay, and the modders' feedback is going in the "No" pile along with everything else. You can change around the bricks in the wall, but the wall is still there, and Taleworlds has clearly stated they have no intention of removing said wall. The acting as though switching around a couple of bricks is somehow a significant concession to what the modders were asking for is where the GFY comes in. They aren't directly saying it, but the message is clear through their actions.

Last edited:
I'm curious. What is the real purpose of hard coding something as 'internal'?

I am not a programmer by any means. To me it just seems to be a programmer's way of saying " please don't change this line of code".

Maybe like a builder saying "This is a supporting, load-bearing wall, don't try and knock it through or try to change it" ?

But that's just my assumption .. It can't just be that though?.... Anyone with real knowledge here who can explain this properly to me?

Last edited:
In the way that they dismiss others just because they did not make a forums account years ago and have been a member of this forum. Is Bannerlord in a perfect state or a masterpiece? No, it is a long ways away from that, but whenever someone is remotely positive about this game the arguments made against that person boil down to "You'll be blackpilled in a few months" or "I've been here longer then you so be quiet".
But you will, assuming my understanding of "blackpilled" is correct. The so-called "dismiss[ing]" of newer accounts isn't something bred of arrogance or self importance. In the last 2 years I have seen literally hundreds of people create accounts, not know what they are talking about, defending TaleWorlds from a point of ignorance; and then 95%+ of them that stay end up frustrated and upset with TaleWorlds themselves. It's unironically a forum meme at this point. They're not being targeted because they're new, they're being told they don't understand the practices and culture of TaleWorlds(as a whole), and when you're around this forum for long enough you see the same kind of person posting the exact same kind of posts hundreds if not thousands of times. And then so many of them have the gall to call other people who aren't ignorant of the situation and the problem "toxic", or "crybabies" or "immature", or to be "patient".

Nobody is attacking anyone for being "new". New accounts are being called out for being ignorant and posting about things they don't understand, and the reason they are ignorant is because they haven't been around here long enough. It's an indirect call for them to understand the situation before making a judgement on it, and especially calling those people who do understand "crybabies" and such. And when they do understand the situation after being here long enough, they either leave because it disgusts them, or stay and complain along with the rest of us. What you may not understand is that everyone here being """toxic""" is a Mount&Blade superfan, and 5 years ago were diehard loyalists of the franchise. If newer accounts/players took even a small amount of time to understand this history and dynamic instead of hurling insults and running defense of a company whose practices and actions thus far are garbage; they wouldn't be on the receiving end of rightful criticism. And then when they can't handle it, as seen in this thread and dozens of others, turn to insults and strawmanning.

And I'm using the word "ignorant" in this post not as a perjorative, but the literal definition of the word(a position of not-knowing), so nobody should take that as an insult.

The act of removing is only time-consuming if you're not working with any IDE worth its salt. Search project (or projects) for "internal " (space intentional) -> quick review to remove any instances where "internal " is in a comment or variable somewhere or something -> replace with whatever you desire (Bloc suggested "private "). The technical implications of that is another story.
As stated before, it would be a tedious task and their time is better spent doing other things, such as siege AI fixes. Furthermore, they have stated that they are open to further discussion on the topic and fixes following the 1.6.0 update. With this, it is entirely possible that more work will be done in order to better the conditions for modders, but it is important that we wait until the update before any assumptions are made.
I'm curious as to your definition of "too early". I don't see 9 years of development (with a much larger team than Warband, remember) and 18+ months of feedback (including beta) that has been summarily ignored or tossed aside because "vision" as "too early".
Too early is to give up on a game a year into EA. Just look at other games such as DayZ and No Mans Sky, they had length dev times and quite a long amount of time spent in EA and they have come out of it much better. The games aren't perfect, but they are much closer if not at the original goal intended for the game.
"Opening more lines of communication" is a pointless endeavor when the request is as simple as it is. There's no more for the modders to say that they haven't already said. Modders want internals removed because it's blocking their development. Taleworlds said no because they want to "enforce good practices". Saying "wait for the new patch" is similarly pointless when we have no clue when it's coming, let alone when it'll be out of beta. It could be multiple months before modders can properly look at the new patch. Taleworlds told us nothing about the consistency changes other than "added some and removed some". That could be anywhere from remove 1 and add 99 to remove 99 and add 1. The fact that they didn't give us any information on that implies that it ended up being either close to no change or a net increase in the modifier count, since you'd think they would say they lowered the number if they could.
The path to open up more lines of communication was quite plainly put out there by the devs. TW said wait until the update as see what the game looks like and then give us more feedback. Their communication could be better, yes, but there is an avenue for further discussion.
Duh said quite plainly "We won't drop the conventions that are important to our work", and internals are apparently VERY important conventions to their work. The internals are here to stay, and the modders' feedback is going in the "No" pile along with everything else. You can change around the bricks in the wall, but the wall is still there, and Taleworlds has clearly stated they have no intention of removing said wall. The acting as though switching around a couple of bricks is somehow a significant concession to what the modders were asking for is where the GFY comes in. They aren't directly saying it, but the message is clear through their actions.
That's not a "GFY" moment. They explained why they are doing it, explained that they want to work on it further, and are working on some changes to the practice to make it more consistent. Then saying no to modders is not them going GFY. Them saying no to modders is them saying that they cannot simply do everything that they want. If they take that as a GFY moment then so be it, but this is quite far from they just telling modders to go **** off.

Well put. More should join us on the ship of Hope™ that you are steering through the storm.
I've already put on my raincoat because it's going to be a bumpy ride until the end of the EA, but I won't let go of the helm or jump off the boat because I really want to see what's hidden behind that horizon and check if this trip was worth it.

giphy.gif

Hope is a waking dream
Aristotle

But you will, assuming my understanding of "blackpilled" is correct. The so-called "dismiss[ing]" of newer accounts isn't something bred of arrogance or self importance. In the last 2 years I have seen literally hundreds of people create accounts, not know what they are talking about, defending TaleWorlds from a point of ignorance; and then 95%+ of them that stay end up frustrated and upset with TaleWorlds themselves. It's unironically a forum meme at this point. They're not being targeted because they're new, they're being told they don't understand the practices and culture of TaleWorlds(as a whole), and when you're around this forum for long enough you see the same kind of person posting the exact same kind of posts hundreds if not thousands of times. And then so many of them have the gall to call other people who aren't ignorant of the situation and the problem "toxic", or "crybabies" or "immature", or to be "patient".

Nobody is attacking anyone for being "new". New accounts are being called out for being ignorant and posting about things they don't understand, and the reason they are ignorant is because they haven't been around here long enough. It's an indirect call for them to understand the situation before making a judgement on it, and especially calling those people who do understand "crybabies" and such. And when they do understand the situation after being here long enough, they either leave because it disgusts them, or stay and complain along with the rest of us. What you may not understand is that everyone here being """toxic""" is a Mount&Blade superfan, and 5 years ago were diehard loyalists of the franchise. If newer accounts/players took even a small amount of time to understand this history and dynamic instead of hurling insults and running defense of a company whose practices and actions thus far are garbage; they wouldn't be on the receiving end of rightful criticism. And then when they can't handle it, as seen in this thread and dozens of others, turn to insults and strawmanning.

And I'm using the word "ignorant" in this post not as a perjorative, but the literal definition of the word(a position of not-knowing), so nobody should take that as an insult.
Yeah, that's fair. If someone comes into the forums who are ignorant to the situation then yes, they are ignorant. However, I came in and spoke from what I saw as people misunderstand what TW has told them, in the modding thread, and from there I had been called a white knight and been told to be quiet. Newer accounts are told that they are ignorant when they take the side of TW in any extent, even what I have made it clear that I am not entirely happy with the current state of the game. While, I do greatly enjoy it, there are things that I would want added. I only try to call people toxic when they are. You aren't, and I respect that. OP was actually the one who was toxic to you. The whole dynamic clearly is not black and white.

I do completely understand the frustration, I do. That's why I do not try to levy insults back at people when they are levied towards me. If I have, I apologize, that is my fault.

Also, no worries about the term ignorant, it was clearly being used to describe people who are ignorant to issues.

Yeah, that's fair. If someone comes into the forums who are ignorant to the situation then yes, they are ignorant. However, I came in and spoke from what I saw as people misunderstand what TW has told them, in the modding thread, and from there I had been called a white knight and been told to be quiet. Newer accounts are told that they are ignorant when they take the side of TW in any extent, even what I have made it clear that I am not entirely happy with the current state of the game. While, I do greatly enjoy it, there are things that I would want added. I only try to call people toxic when they are. You aren't, and I respect that. OP was actually the one who was toxic to you. The whole dynamic clearly is not black and white.

I do completely understand the frustration, I do. That's why I do not try to levy insults back at people when they are levied towards me. If I have, I apologize, that is my fault.

Also, no worries about the term ignorant, it was clearly being used to describe people who are ignorant to issues.
Indeed, some of my posts yesterday were a little too "spiced up". It's one of my flaws, I know I get fired up too quickly.

But still, there's quite a lot of bullying going on here, and it's not just "Helping new people understand the situation." This is WAY past that. It sound like it's an excuse you are hiding behind to lash out. Just like saying "Oh it's TW that makes us frustrated so we can lash out at them."
This behaviour should not be acceptable, and in my case also, and I did get my warning as deserved.
I mean see what's happened here and look at this post that I shared earlier as well. https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/thank-you-taleworlds-a-unique-perspective.443381/
You are saying "oh they are just ignorant." Okay well, first that's not an excuse to be rude to them and second I only see like 10-15 people that are "left hanging with you." spreading the whole "TW is hopeless narrative". It's not hundreds of new accounts.

Before this thread gets locked for being too flamy. I want to say that Bannerlord enjoyers (90% steam positive reviews) should also have voice in this forum. Every player is a part of the community, not just the blackpilled forum rats.
Seems like a lot of people are afraid to post, because they will be accused of being too Hope™.
Dont forget that there is also a silent majority who is too busy having fun in order to post **** on the forums.

As stated before, it would be a tedious task and their time is better spent doing other things, such as siege AI fixes. Furthermore, they have stated that they are open to further discussion on the topic and fixes following the 1.6.0 update. With this, it is entirely possible that more work will be done in order to better the conditions for modders, but it is important that we wait until the update before any assumptions are made.
"It's entirely possible" that I become a millionaire tomorrow. I'm not betting on it. These total conversion mods take years to make. Waiting on a patch that in all likelihood is months away based on their current speed is not something the modders should have to do before they respond. While I'd love to see siege AI fixes, I don't think an hour-long process at most is gonna detract from that in any meaningful fashion, especially because siege AI fixes don't appear to be high on the list of priorities.
Too early is to give up on a game a year into EA. Just look at other games such as DayZ and No Mans Sky, they had length dev times and quite a long amount of time spent in EA and they have come out of it much better. The games aren't perfect, but they are much closer if not at the original goal intended for the game.
NMS was not early access, and it was also a studio not 1/4 the size of TW. I don't know **** about DayZ since zombies and PVP hold no appeal to me but the DayZ people I know still say that the OG mod is better than the standalone. Regardless though, one example does not a trend make.

I'd agree with you that 1 year EA is too early if not for the following:
1. 8+ years of development BEFORE that EA started. 3-4 would be much more reasonable for this argument.
2. The current roadmap (from 4 months ago) is largely "improvements to <x feature already in game>", implying that TW sees the game as nearly feature complete in its current state, when combined with their current "leaving EA" target of later this year. They promised us an update at some point last month (can't find that post rn, I'm sure someone has it saved), but to the surprise of no one, we've heard nothing on that front since then.
3. Tied to point 2, essentially all feature requests from the community are either ignored or rejected. If you're not listening to your community about what to put in the game during EA then it's not EA, it's attempt at double-dipping on release sales.

The path to open up more lines of communication was quite plainly put out there by the devs. TW said wait until the update as see what the game looks like and then give us more feedback. Their communication could be better, yes, but there is an avenue for further discussion.
The very point you quoted explains why "the path to open up more lines of communication" is not helpful to this situation.
That's not a "GFY" moment. They explained why they are doing it, explained that they want to work on it further, and are working on some changes to the practice to make it more consistent. Then saying no to modders is not them going GFY. Them saying no to modders is them saying that they cannot simply do everything that they want. If they take that as a GFY moment then so be it, but this is quite far from they just telling modders to go **** off.
Again, in the point you quoted, I explained that the GFY moment was them pretending that their "consistency changes" are supposed to help the modders. It's going to break existing mods (because they for some reason ADDED internals in some places), and they aren't telling us anything other than "added and removed for consistency". Like I said, that could be anything, and the fact that they aren't being more specific when they easily could be (by saying something like "there are a good deal fewer in this next patch so you should have more flexibility) implies that those changes were ultimately a lateral move at best for the modders.

Before this thread gets locked for being too flamy. I want to say that Bannerlord enjoyers (90% steam positive reviews) should also have voice in this forum. Every player is a part of the community, not just the blackpilled forum rats.
Seems like a lot of people are afraid to post, because they will be accused of being too Hope™.
Dont forget that there is also a silent majority who is too busy having fun in order to post **** on the forums.
Yes, this is the type of bullying I referred to earlier. Most people actually enjoy the game and are too afraid to post here.
My questions is why is this being allowed by the moderators?

Back
Top Bottom