Two Handed: Sword vs Axe ?

Users who are viewing this thread

vertibird

Recruit
I want to be a Battanian Warrior King, fighting together with my brave soldiers. Which weapon class is better? Two handed swords are faster to swing but axes can cleave. Any suggestions?

I feel that culturally the Battanians would use a two handed sword. Yet, in my Sturgia game I have had an excellent time with the Norse Great Axe.

Thanks for quick reply! Game wise, which one do you think is better in combat?
I would it depends if you're on foot or mounted; On a horse you kinda want the longer weapon. On foot, if you're in melee I find that swords are easier to use. So on balance 2H axe is better.

That being said, I am playing empire currently and I accidentally crafted a two handed sword that also works one handed with decent stats, so I've bought a shield with it. More often then not, I find myself using the sword one handed with the shield just to avoid the random arrows or javelins.

I would it depends if you're on foot or mounted; On a horse you kinda want the longer weapon. On foot, if you're in melee I find that swords are easier to use. So on balance 2H axe is better.

That being said, I am playing empire currently and I accidentally crafted a two handed sword that also works one handed with decent stats, so I've bought a shield with it. More often then not, I find myself using the sword one handed with the shield just to avoid the random arrows or javelins.
Thanks! I am going to craft a fast two handed sword then :smile:

It dpends on what my character is going to do wth it. I give my character a big-ass 2H sword for one-hitting bandit bosses and a equally big-ass 2H axe for hacking through the inner gate in sieges.

I play as an Imperial-type horse archer, but for lopping heads off enemy cavalry, I resort to the Long Glaive. It's long, so I can reach enemies in front of me (they won't see it coming and use their shield), it's slow (but you learn to anticipate when to start the swing), and its hit is MASSIVE. Plus - you can find it in towns for about 275 denars. No kidding! The game doesn't value polearms very highly.

If you're playing Battania, then the culturally appropriate two handed weapon would be a sword or rhomphaia.

The rhomphaia is similar to the long glaive in two handed use, costs 20k less, and is more common in stores. Or you could get it from a marriage.

My gut feeling is that the rhomphaia isn't quite up to the long glaive in flexibility, it is two handed only. But it is fast to swing, and better sized for use on foot imo.

I've never done a playthrough with a long axe. I've wondered at how useful it is with the small weapon head?

Well falx and romphala are shield breaking weapons and fast. If you want to use a 2h sword it's defnitley the falx than. If you Smith yourself a falx it can have a reach of 155 with 155dmg and 88-90 swing speed which is huge. If you want to cleave, I would use a two handed mace instead of an axe, since it ignores Armour and because axes are to slow for shield breaking.

All in all the long glaive is the best weapon(on a open field) since the AI can't efficiently react on the weapon length and just run unguarded into your swing. Second to that the spear head of the long glaive has a ridiculous light weight(still after a year I don't get that, a 4.9x modifier to cut but a weight of 0.5?!? = compared with the best 2h axe head 3.3xmodifier to cut and 1. weight)

usually, I use crafted 2h axe - 125 reach, with 86(ish) speed and 76 (ish) handle - longer than most swords and not that much slower
little tip - when smithing go for heavy bardishe head (about 136 long) and best handle with 125 reach, other benefit - they quite cheap (50k) so you can sell the anywhere

Let’s talk about the mechanics of an axe first. An axe is weighted at the top. It’s incredibly simple. The first axes were created in 6000 BC, and the first swords in the bronze age at about 1600BC -2000BC or so. Swords require more time and resources to make. Axes don’t, all you need is a metallic and weighted head. The edges don’t even have to be particularly sharp since the cutting prowess of the weapon depends mainly on the weight and leverage provided through the swing.

Long Gravie is the best weapon in this game, invincible, the BEST weapon, indisputable truth

long, big swing, no one can defend from one big swing

It's good to keep a variety of weapons around but ultimately I think cleaving weapons are my most used just because after a certain point it's just most economical. I use specific weapons vs. specific kinds of armies if they're going to be a challenge though.

Long glaive is definitely the best if you're just roaming on a horse killing stuff, and with the dismount perk in polearms especially it helps you neutralize tons of Cav/HA if you're decent at maneuvering around as a Cav unit yourself. If Staying Battania themed I guess use the Rhompalia?

I like the Sledgehammer for flanking and taking tons of prisoners - also super Battanian style, since their basic units use them lol. An Imperial Mace or something similar is good as well if you want to play more defensively with a shield.

If I'm going for straight 'kills per second potential' it's got to be a crafted 2h Axe or some of the Sturgian or Aserai ones are good. Sieges I use this. Battania has some decent axes too although they seem to have more 1h options.

To OHKO bandit leaders in hideouts, or try to get fancy dueling multiple enemies if you have good foot speeds, fast 2h sword.

Back
Top Bottom