Rambo should always be a part of captain to an extent

Users who are viewing this thread

Recently rambo has been a hot topic of discussion. This is due to players who have been playing captain mode for a year or more getting beaten by DM and APE in Captain's League Season 2. In the current state of the game there is options to beating a team that is ramboing but many of the team choose inferior compositions to what they could have.
I would also like to point out that this is a completely false statement. Skirm teams were not the ones who "pointed out" the problem to the community, they just adapted to it the best. This is just another one of those "captain player bad" statements that add nothing to the conversation.

I would also like to point out that this is a completely false statement. Skirm teams were not the ones who "pointed out" the problem to the community, they just adapted to it the best. This is just another one of those "captain player bad" statements that add nothing to the conversation.
There was next to no complaints about rambo before this season. You seem to be fine with ramboing against worse teams when you are already favored to win.

There was next to no complaints about rambo before this season.
I actually argued in favor of keeping Rambo a few months back, I was an ardent and vocal advocator for its viability, and a nay-sayer to all the critics that would have had it removed and you personally were involved in those conversations about Rambo so you should know that it was always a topic of discussion well before skirmish players entered the league.
unknown.png

Ive since changed my mind regarding where I stand about Rambo and I am personally against having it in captain mode, but that's mostly due to the fact that archers cannot be viable while the ai is dumb and easily countered by a single rambo, and definitely has nothing to do with skirmish players being rewarded for being great at combat mechanics, as I think combat skill should always have a major and important role in all bannerlord game modes. You actually made a really good point in that post that the issue isn't at all limited to Cavalry rambo, I totally agree, any single player unit of any class can stop 17+ archers from shooting just by being within proximity of that ai unit, which is very silly. I don't think many people are advocating for the elimination of viable player combat skill in captain mode entirely, but rather for there to be more risk involved by reducing how far away you can be from the rest of your ai units so that 1vs17 situation doesn't occur, and for there to be more focus on the commanding of Ai troops.

In captain mode it should be about balancing Micromanaging of Ai units and Personal Combat Skill while multitasking, players should not have the luxury of having their units sit in safety without much risk while they are able to focus entirely on Personal Combat, just like a player captain should not be able to climb on top of a cliff or a building roof to safely hide his player unit and only focus on Micromanaging his Ai troops with little to no risk to his captain unit. (The latter is a terrible strategy, for obvious reasons)

If a captain had to bring his ai units closer into danger and also had to give them orders while also focusing on fighting other players and ai at the same time, it would make for much more interesting and action filled gameplay.

Last edited:
Alright simply put, we have tons of other game modes where people can flex personal skill, how about one where we have to use "strategy" however dumb it might be in terms of Bannerlord. That's why Rambo has to go, it's not in the spirit of "captain" mode, you command a squad of bots in this mode only, and parking them in the corner to keep them safe for respawns... you might as well go play singleplayer.

I pretty much haven't touched captain mode solo in a long time because the last time I did I spent the entire game having to shoot a rambo dude instead of actually playing "captain". Might as well go play another mode with less hassle.

Yeah tbh it's pretty derpy to say no one was talking about it pre this CL season lol. I think you're letting your petty squabbles behind the scenes with certain players shorten your memory SJ

The following is an observation of the fun / engaging aspect of the game mode while rambo reigns supreme (not the skill or creativity of the players)... DM vs XYZ semi finals... Kz vs Kz on jawali... (Players in this match, please don't take this the wrong way.. Obviously the tactic is working, obviously they are very good players, obviously this is the state of the game) but Super Jew... To you in particular because I could be wrong but I assumed you're an "old school" captain player and such a big advocate for ramboing now... is this honestly what you want captain to be like or to turn into in the future as the majority meta? This assumably it's what we can expect from further advocating for Rambo become the norm. The game mode is not even recognizable. If I saw that from the outside looking in as a new player I would never touch this game. As much as I enjoyed playing some of the CL matches (that felt like OG cap mode) Captains league turned out to be about the worst possible advertising for the mode that I could possibly imagine if any new players were too stumble across it..I can't imagine them even considering trying it.

I know CL isn't advertising... It's competitive play, But... It's... just... awful

Alright simply put, we have tons of other game modes where people can flex personal skill, how about one where we have to use "strategy" however dumb it might be in terms of Bannerlord. That's why Rambo has to go, it's not in the spirit of "captain" mode, you command a squad of bots in this mode only, and parking them in the corner to keep them safe for respawns... you might as well go play singleplayer.

I pretty much haven't touched captain mode solo in a long time because the last time I did I spent the entire game having to shoot a rambo dude instead of actually playing "captain". Might as well go play another mode with less hassle.
There is no strategy to captain mode. The better unit and faction wins and it's rock paper scissors unless the other side is brain dead, which is often the case. I played captain in the beta and I can tell you that the multiplayer community is better at all aspects of the game including pressing f1-f3.

I really don't understand the perspective of those who think ramboing shouldnt be removed. What meaningful gameplay element does ramboing provide that captain mode as a game mode fundamentally needs?
Lemme explain. If you aren't aware enough not to be on the end of my Lance then you deserve to die and I deserve the kill. You can't just walk out in front of your units and let me know that I can cut the head off the snake by easily killing a noob captain and preventing him from giving his unit orders.

Lemme explain. If you aren't aware enough not to be on the end of my Lance then you deserve to die and I deserve the kill. You can't just walk out in front of your units and let me know that I can cut the head off the snake by easily killing a noob captain and preventing him from giving his unit orders.

I am pretty sure the problem is the killing of the bots and not the captain.

There is no strategy to captain mode. The better unit and faction wins and it's rock paper scissors unless the other side is brain dead, which is often the case. I played captain in the beta and I can tell you that the multiplayer community is better at all aspects of the game including pressing f1-f3.
There can be though, just needs Taleworlds to get their arse in gear.

As it stands it's basically as you say, TDM or Skirmish with extra spawns. Might as well keep being played that way.

Who is complaining about cav rambos killing the PC? Certainly not me. It's their clear abuse of the dog**** AI thats the issue at hand.

I think people should lose control of their troops if they go 'too far' away from them.
Just my opinion though, I don't play captain mode too often. Still is and always be a great mode!

Yeah tbh it's pretty derpy to say no one was talking about it pre this CL season lol. I think you're letting your petty squabbles behind the scenes with certain players shorten your memory SJ
I didn't say there was no complaints. I said, "there was next to no complaints about rambo before this season." This is true if you compare what people are talking about now and then. Before people talked about the nonexistent class balancing and more open maps. Now all they talk about is rambo because they struggle to win against players who are better at pvp. Instead of trying to be creative and beat the teams who rambo, they would rather complain about how some new team to CL is bending them over. Yes, rambo should be mitigated, but the options that people keep presenting are terrible and that is why I made this thread.

Without significant throwing weapons on heavy infantry and shock infantry there isn't much room for any tactical decisions. Due to this it is easy for a team who has never played captain but is good at pvp to come into CL and beat everyone. I watched the entire VoV vs DM match from VoVs perspective. DM not only was beating them in pvp, but they were able to recognize better unit compositions against a team that has lots of experience in the game mode. For example, when DM was Khuzait vs Vlandia they knew that lancers with glaives could beat knights with the AI. VoV had the same opportunity in the game before but didn't recognize this composition that every pub player knows.

I didn't say there was no complaints. I said, "there was next to no complaints about rambo before this season." This is true if you compare what people are talking about now and then. Before people talked about the nonexistent class balancing and more open maps. Now all they talk about is rambo because they struggle to win against players who are better at pvp. Instead of trying to be creative and beat the teams who rambo, they would rather complain about how some new team to CL is bending them over. Yes, rambo should be mitigated, but the options that people keep presenting are terrible and that is why I made this thread.

Without significant throwing weapons on heavy infantry and shock infantry there isn't much room for any tactical decisions. Due to this it is easy for a team who has never played captain but is good at pvp to come into CL and beat everyone. I watched the entire VoV vs DM match from VoVs perspective. DM not only was beating them in pvp, but they were able to recognize better unit compositions against a team that has lots of experience in the game mode. For example, when DM was Khuzait vs Vlandia they knew that lancers with glaives could beat knights with the AI. VoV had the same opportunity in the game before but didn't recognize this composition that every pub player knows.
For sure, maybe they also talk about Rambo more because it is much prevalent in pug matches these days as well...nI'm interested in what your thoughts are on my other question to you though. Looking at the some of those top team fights DM vs XYZ in the latest round of CL... Is that the kind of game you think captain should be? That is representative of 2 complete Rambo teams fighting... Surely that gameplay isn't what your want captain to devolve into.

You know people can still fully have their individual skill on display and Rambo their hearts out while an auto follow radius, or a morale timer radius around troops is active. It just means the troops are within an acceptable range in order to keep ai bots in at least the local area of the captain so the game of captain can be played out as it is described (controlling ai). It just means they have to do a bit more micro managing of troops. It's not that crazy to consider it as a feature

Now all they talk about is rambo because they struggle to win against players who are better at pvp.
Today I was playing against a team of at least 3-4 premades of who at least 3 ramboed. I played as empire archer militia.
I killed those rambos at least 5 times per round in 1v1 or 2v1 while I never died in those scenarios, only dying to masses of bots or couch lance etc.
It still isn't about "who is good at pvp". It has never been the point and will not be. It's that I literally have to focus all my efforts to kill a single cav player since my bots can't do it. Still my bots are there getting killed every second since I can't land a high-momentum headshot every single time to either kill the player or his horse.
It takes away too much from the game.

Back
Top Bottom