Clan heraldry - an early herald of the "Too complex" problem

Users who are viewing this thread

vito397

Sergeant Knight
Remember when each lord had a distinct banner? Remember when your coat of arms was a symbol of your status because you were accepted among nobility? Remember when you could have a banner donned with brighter colours and NOT look like a total clown (together with the rest of your kingdom) because your clothes copy the exact colour?

Well those times are long past. Not only you get a banner from the start (to hell with a clanless commoner start, right?) but you also get an amazing choice of an animal and 2 colours. Now there are the GREEN = good guys, the RED = bad guys, and the GRAY = absolutely irrelevant. So thrilling and immersive. Well, we should have then known what was to come

May I ask who made all these amazing design choices that no one asked for.

Also, Stronghold: Kingdoms has a better shield editor that Bannerlord. A LITERAL MMO

Yeah that was the first change they announced saying it was to make the game less complicated and easier to new players, most didn't agree with them but so what, it was just a minor cosmetic thing that mods could fix quick.

We should have seen the writing on the wall back then but TW had too much good will and trust from the playerbase before they started throwing the same excuse everywhere to deny basic features, any suggestion more complex than a 5y old can understand or to defend their dumbing down and changes no one asked for (command menus changed for the worse when they introduced the wheel menu, removing finer options from the player etc)

Last edited:
This really killed me after I downloaded Swadian Armory mod. All those great designs limited to Ketchup/Mustard motif if I want to stay with Vlandia.
Also strange about the no commoner start. You just decide "we're nobles now" and everyone goes along with it.

The game "Kingdoms and Castles" which is like a 300mb size game, has the option that allows you to upload a custom image as your banner. But in bannerlord we have to decide between like 12 total combinations of colors and symbols which is just super limiting.

The game "Kingdoms and Castles" which is like a 300mb size game, has the option that allows you to upload a custom image as your banner. But in bannerlord we have to decide between like 12 total combinations of colors and symbols which is just super limiting.
Well if I remember correctly Kingdoms and Castles listens to its community lol

Don't worry guys it's aaaaalll part of their vision. Once released, we will see the error in our ways.
It the game would turn out great, it will be because those who pay for it complain and complain and complain, everywhere a potential buyer exists, until they absolutely had to amend their misguided ways.

So many features in this game are weak just like this, it adds up, not a lot of strong points. People who have trouble seeing this are blind. The fact that the "upgrade" for this feature was a background changer for the 12 symbols and colors reminds me (the 100th time) that this company is trying to finish this game with the least amount of work possible.

u2OTp.png

(source)

giphy.gif

Another example to fill the memories' chest ? ? .

About 80% of polls on this forum are not happy with various features in the game. I don't think I have ever seen this, at least not to this degree among the diehards of a game cult.

I say it every chance I get. The banner "editor" we have right now is absolute garbage.

There's nothing positive about it, at all. The old Warband method, albeit requiring actual work to make the "art", was vastly superior despite its own list of problems (and that was mostly because it was old). I am a really big fan of heraldry and vexillology and was super excited for the feature, but to see a game 10 years later come out with such an embarrassingly bad "banner" feature compared to its predecessor is a massive disappointment.

The overwhelming majority agree this "banner editor" needs to be replaced and it, along with dozens of other things, are constantly ignored. It would be one thing if a dev came out and just told us to shut up it's not changing or to tell us they're considering it, but this absolute silence on a majority of the issues presented by the community is a sad look into the game's development.

Because the devs for that game listen to their community and actually wants to give them something good and fun to use in their game. The heraldry making in Crusader Kings II, hell even III (and it's randomized!), is better than Bannerlord. There's simply no excuse for the devs at this point.

I kind of wish they would make an official version of the external one everyone has been using since launch, even simplified: it's just so much more interesting and looks... better.

They also need allow people to import their own "icons" so people don't have to use a combination of external icons to try and make what they want/need.

Back
Top Bottom