Infinite Armies

Users who are viewing this thread

The dev posted his exact reasoning, multiple times:
? Yeah that's obviously what I'm referring to. You read the same things I did and inferred the same things!
I don't KNOW if they thought giving spawn troops was JUST for looter protection, or ALSO to help prevent recruit armies.... but it certainly helps both issues and both were introduced around or at the same updates. I don't KNOW the devs exact thinking or the exact origin, identity or purpose of these 2 fixes when they were conceived. I like to say when I DON'T KNOW something, it's a strange point to try to argue with me.

If I already have money, like most clans?
WHY do they have money? They lose battles = no loot. They lose fiefs = no taxes. They have giant GARRISONs =ALL TAXES spent on it. If they don't purposefully do any other activities why would they have any money in a legitimate balanced set up?

Also: can you buy troops? Can you spend money to level up troops? NO, money or not they have go all around collecting troops and then fight stuff to raise them up to an appropriate level for combat in a legit balanced set up.

I reassert my opinion that the bots not spending enough time between hostile activities makes the gameplay feel unrewarding and robotic.

Last edited:
WHY do they have money? They lose battles = no loot. They lose fiefs = no taxes. They have giant GARRISONs =ALL TAXES spent on it. If they don't purposefully do any other activities why would they have any money in a legitimate balanced set up?
Because they use cheap troops. Their parties are small and relatively low tier much of the time. Giant garrisons don't cost much if you don't put many tier 4 troops in them. With one hundred tier 3 troops, you can get by just selling a few horses every few days.

You can easily haul up 150 recruits within three days (assuming they actually exist), smash them into the nearest lord party of 80 and win. That's basically what the AI does. They aren't cheating or doing anything players can't, with the minor caveat that they spawn near one of their settlements, rather than wherever their captors dump them.
I don't KNOW the devs exact thinking or the exact origin, identity or purpose of these 2 fixes when they were conceived. I like to say when I DON'T KNOW something, it's a strange point to try to argue with me.
I know and I'm telling you the answer: they aren't related and don't impact each other. Mexxico didn't once mention spawn issues when discussing the XP cheat. That spawn fix came really early in the game's EA, so early I can't even vaguely the patch number.

You can double-check for yourself by zeroing out party templates (no spawn troops for AI) and watch their troop comp stay (mostly) the same. The only exception is cataphracts basically went extinct the last time I did a play through without spawn troops.

Last edited:
on the subject of infinite armies. i watched a streamer play a new saved file 1.5.9 or 1.5.10, and he literally executed every lord in the south empire. but then there's this clan that keeps coming up with 5 new male lords every time he kills the existing 5. he's literally executed 80 lords from that clan. captured the remaining 6. the leader somehow escapes anyways. and he executes the 5, immediately after, 5 new lords spawn in the encyclopedia. this is a literal undead cloning infinite army

on the subject of infinite armies. i watched a streamer play a new saved file 1.5.9 or 1.5.10, and he literally executed every lord in the south empire. but then there's this clan that keeps coming up with 5 new male lords every time he kills the existing 5. he's literally executed 80 lords from that clan. captured the remaining 6. the leader somehow escapes anyways. and he executes the 5, immediately after, 5 new lords spawn in the encyclopedia. this is a literal undead cloning infinite army
You have to either provide the live stream if it's recorded or the exact clan name. Because this scenario is matching with what I'm doing in Freelancer. If this is what you are referring to, then it's not related to the native game.

I know this can happen with minor factions (on purpose so they don't disappear) but if it's happening with a normal clan that's new and may be a bug. Do you happen to know or point me at the stream to see if it's a merc faction or normal, or X rebel or what?

They are the minor factions.

To reply to the op, many have voiced grief over this issue. Army spam is a fact of life in bannerlord. While I also find it annoying and there are some tweeks that could be made, there is something that is overlooked if they went too far. People want the wars to have impact and meaning, but imagine if after a handful of major battles the enemy faction is sapped and you can roll over them. A few battles doesn't take long to play out in real time. I'm just pointing out there's a balance to be had and you don't wanna throw out the baby with the bathwater
There are so many nobles that spawn with 15-30 troops. Math is simple, it doesn't take long and they have several hundred troops and can repeat that forever

Sex is the real problem of the game, all those Calradia peasants are all the day having sex... so there are a insane number of newborn ready to grow into new recruits. Condoms have to be implemented but I fear that will be to difficult.

PS. A sort of man power concept will be nice where the pool of new recruits is limited so losing big numbers of troops will be hard to replace.

Sex is the real problem of the game, all those Calradia peasants are all the day having sex... so there are a insane number of newborn ready to grow into new recruits. Condoms have to be implemented but I fear that will be to difficult.

PS. A sort of man power concept will be nice where the pool of new recruits is limited so losing big numbers of troops will be hard to replace.
No no Saruman makes them all in muddy poo caves like in the movie version, the looters an bandits are the low quality ones he throws out constantly.
Lots of muddy pooey Saruman caves.

I'm just pointing out there's a balance to be had
For sure. I would like to see it play out more like "our operation was a success, we took a new fief, now we sue for peace and all rebuild our forces and do village stuff and have feast..." and the losing side does the same and then counter attacks when they have enough power, but bot sides are taking time in-between to rebuild (via doing issues and cleaning out bandits or other stuff they could add).

you don't wanna throw out the baby with the bathwater
Idduno I'm getting pretty fed up with some of the babies trying raid my fiefs! Especially the babies that have been in my forever prison for over a year and remotely hire merc clans on the other side of the map who raid my villages instantly. Sometime they get hired, start a raid, then leave the faction before I can even get there. They're sitting by my village in neutral colors like "what I wasn't doing anything?"

The really frustrating thing for me late-game (not that I've had enough fun to even GET to the lategame in months) clans will psychically change their allegiance from hundreds of miles away when it's the AI - but you have to manually run down clan + minor faction leaders and manually persuade them and bribe them in order to do it yourself. And then, a few minutes later, the clan you bought goes right back to their original faction... also the mercs you hired go neutral or even switch sides immediately at the end of their contract with no opportunity for renewal.

Having lords show up at your hall in WB asking to join you was a great QOL feature and - right now - Diplomacy Fixes messenger feature is just a band-aid on that bullet wound.

Yeap. That's why I've never bothered with late game play. Late game is horrible.

In many aspects, WB diplomacy mod > BL.

That wasn't a response to the lord's coming back with hundreds of recruits. It was a response to the lords never coming back because they were repeatedly beaten down by looters.

The correct solution against getting captured by looters was for the lords to stay in the frickin towns and slowly recruit troops and regain hp until they were fit to go out for war again.

Having patrols would have helped too.

It's always the wrong approach to solving problems that's caused the ****show we have now.

The correct solution against getting captured by looters was for the lords to stay in the frickin towns and slowly recruit troops and regain hp until they were fit to go out for war again.
They literally do that. They don't do it slowly because the AI will just pull troops from garrison in a pinch but if their party sits under a certain threshold on troops, they don't do anything but recruit. If the town has enough troops, they'll stay in place. But if the town has none and the next village over has six, they'll head out and grab them, then wait there. Or scurry back into town to grab more from there and ping-pong back and forth.

The very early recruiting phase was the only time they needed extra troops because very small bandit parties (the ones that are hard to catch by anything on the map) were the ones nabbing them.

Last edited:
To reply to the op, many have voiced grief over this issue. Army spam is a fact of life in bannerlord. While I also find it annoying and there are some tweeks that could be made, there is something that is overlooked if they went too far. People want the wars to have impact and meaning, but imagine if after a handful of major battles the enemy faction is sapped and you can roll over them. A few battles doesn't take long to play out in real time. I'm just pointing out there's a balance to be had and you don't wanna throw out the baby with the bathwater
There are so many nobles that spawn with 15-30 troops. Math is simple, it doesn't take long and they have several hundred troops and can repeat that forever

Sure there is. Make sieges alot harder. Make the walls higher. Give the walls more HP. Make it so it's really difficult to capture and that taking one is going to sap all your strength.

So after you defeat their field army, you'll be stuck in sieges. No steamroll.

That is the correct answer imo and not clone armies.

They literally do that. They don't do it slowly because the AI will just pull troops from garrison in a pinch but if their party sits under a certain threshold on troops, they don't do anything but recruit. If the town has enough troops, they'll stay in place. But if the town has none and the next village over has six, they'll head out and grab them, then wait there. Or scurry back into town to grab more from there and ping-pong back and forth.

The very early recruiting phase was the only time they needed extra troops because very small bandit parties (the ones that are hard to catch by anything on the map) were the ones nabbing them.

I don't see that kind of behaviour Apocal. I release lords all the time for relations and I catch them again in very short time. There's no way they can heal that quickly.

There's no way they can heal that quickly.
They don't need to heal and there isn't any way to tell their health status in a normal conversation since TW disabled the wounded animations for everything except post-battle and prisoner dialogue in 1.5.3. You talk to them and they look fine but they might actually be at 20% or something.

They don't need to heal and there isn't any way to tell their health status in a normal conversation since TW disabled the wounded animations for everything except post-battle and prisoner dialogue in 1.5.3. You talk to them and they look fine but they might actually be at 20% or something.

That's what I'm saying though. They need to heal. They need to stay nice and cozy until 100%.

I would if I get knocked out.
That's not an answer! You can still do everything with 20% of HP so why shouldn't the AI also do it?

You will not solve this problem by restricting the AI. You need peace content (meaning less wars), perhaps lengthier sieges/heavier casualties to make the wars last longer (giving time to all other factions to replenish), etc. This is a design flaw, trying to solve it by patching it will only create more problems.

Back
Top Bottom