SP - UI Make hovering over a weapon compare equipped weapons of the same *class* (not just the same type)

Users who are viewing this thread

As things stand if I have a sword equipped and I mouse over a different sword it will compare the two swords. If I mouse over an axe, spear, or mace it will not compare them to my sword.

That would make some sense if we had to pick one kind of weapon and stick with it, but we don't. The skills we have are One Handed, Two Handed, and Polearms. That means that an axe and a sword are basically the same thing - one handed weapons - and I can use any of them. Sure, there are some differences (you can't thrust with a mace, etc.), but their speed, weight, handling, and reach stats are all directly comparable, their damage is mostly comparable, and they require investment in the same skill area.

Please change it so that if I mouse over a one handed weapon in a shop or inventory the stats will also pop up over whatever one handed weapon I have equipped. Let me compare an axe to a dagger or a sword to a mace without having to resort to writing the stats down.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
I will bring up "changing how we compare weapons in the inventory" internally but I think this:
That would make some sense if we had Axe, Mace, Spear, and Sword skills, but we don't. What we have is One Handed, Two Handed, and Polearms. That means that an axe and a sword are basically the same thing - one handed weapons.
is a flawed way of looking at things in the inventory. Just because a certain skill affects some certain weapons, doesn't dictate UI like that. If we had a different skill for every weapon type, would it be better? I don't think so.

Yeah this has made it challenging to compare weapons to equip either the character or companions. Particularly comparing one hand axes to swords and also for two handed swords to axes. I rarely equip more than a single one-handed weapon at a time, and it’s generally a choice between the two. I feel daggers rarely come into play, and any polearms really feel like their own class. Although I get the idea around comparing them based on the skill tree we know they might be based on.

I guess there’s a question here, too, of whether the AI would switch between equipped one handed weapons - so between dagger, sword, or axe - depending on the situation. I know there are AI decisions between polearms and swords/axes.

I will bring up "changing how we compare weapons in the inventory" internally but I think this:

is a flawed way of looking at things in the inventory. Just because a certain skill affects some certain weapons, doesn't dictate UI like that. If we had a different skill for every weapon type, would it be better? I don't think so.
I'm not sure my message is coming across. I'm not suggesting that there should be a different skill for every weapon type.

What I'm saying is this:

Suppose I have a one handed axe. I visit a store and I see lots of axes, maces, swords, spears, and daggers. I find myself wondering if there's an affordable upgrade to my axe. Since the skill is "One Handed" I'm not limited to just axes - I can use anything. So what should I pick? It's not a simple decision. I have to consider type and amount of damage, as well as reach, speed, weight, and handling.

If I hover over another axe I can look at a pop-up and make a side-by-side comparison. That's helpful.

If I hover over any other type of one handed weapon I don't get a side-by-side comparison, so I have to either remember the stats or write them down??? That's not helpful.

The UI should be helpful.

Last edited:
Giving this a bump since the mod who rejected the idea didn't seem to understand what I was saying. It's just a small UI tweak.

Also its been 7 months.

Back
Top Bottom