(With Dev Replies) Development Now Feels Slower than Ever ... Do I Detect Another Code Refactor?

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
It really feels like the game is progressing at snail's pace at the moment. (Sorry, that's not fair on snails)

(Steam DataBase completely silent for 8 days straight now)

I'm guessing that they must be either refactoring code... or reworking something fundamental - although it can't be the terrain battle system (we know that isn't going to be with us any time soon).

I can't believe it feels like development is actually slowing down so much.

Remember the first code refactor? When we were all saying things like " Oh great, now that's done, things should progress much faster now!" lol

Refactors happen all the time and are a continuous part of most projects.

From my understanding when we talk about refactorization we talk about a large chunk of the codebase, or at least a complicated module.
Not refactoring a single function or method here and there, at least that's the impression I got when not you specifically but one TW dev started to mention that months ago.
Now that you say that you conducted many refactors all the time, it surely raises a lot of questions from my side.

We know this. Obviously.

Just trying to understand or explain the latest period of relative silence and waiting. Thought another code refactor might, perhaps explain it.

Plus, I was just laughing at just how very naïve and positive we were back then: thinking one major refactor might actually speed things up significantly for the rest of the game's development. (As it was sold to us by TW at the time)

Well, we all know how things really work now, especially with TaleWorlds....

You live and you learn.

Last edited:
Could you somehow refactor TW communication so it becomes a continuous part of this project?

If Bannerlord was the pic-a-nic basket, then the consumer would be yogi bear and I think we all know who Peter is.

It really feels like the game is progressing at snail's pace at the moment. (Sorry, that's not fair on snails)

(Steam DataBase completely silent for 8 days straight now)

I'm guessing that they must be either refactoring code... or reworking something fundamental - although it can't be the terrain battle system (we know that isn't going to be with us any time soon).

I can't believe it feels like development is actually slowing down so much.

Remember the first code refactor? When we were all saying things like " Oh great, now that's done, things should progress much faster now!" lol
Well we know from bug report threads and "this feature is a problem" threads that they are working on a variety of fixes and changes.
They're also working on terrain system and they're working on performance on top to that too. They already had a full plate, now they have a family size bowl of spaghetti dumped on top of it.

AnandaShanti.....What a shill. Haha I kid, but he is right. When things were going smoothly development was slow. Why expect a increase in pace when, again like he said they got a full plate.

This was a pretty pointless post forgive me.

Or maybe, just maybe, they're busy finishing out larger features like keep battles, dynamic battle terrain, fixing balancing issues, and implementing a buttload of UX and associated backend changes like they say they are?

Yes, I know, I'm a shill REEEEEEEEEEEE

We know this. Obviously.

Just trying to understand or explain the latest period of relative silence and waiting. Thought another code refactor might, perhaps explain it.
You asked and I remember a number of users & topics that didn't really understand what refactors are.

The next patch is in its testing phase at the moment. Once it passes that and once we can push the current beta to live, it will be released. Regular patches, in particular, include a range of changes, so it is rare for the bulk of their duration to be dependent on a single issue. There is no smoking gun to point you to - we are fixing the issues discovered in testing while we are concurrently looking into the performance issues that players have reported.

Could you somehow refactor TW communication so it becomes a continuous part of this project?
You are welcome to ask me anything (ideally about the campaign) and I will answer what I can.

You asked and I remember a number of users & topics that didn't really understand what refactors are.

The next patch is in its testing phase at the moment. Once it passes that and once we can push the current beta to live, it will be released. Regular patches, in particular, include a range of changes, so it is rare for the bulk of their duration to be dependent on a single issue. There is no smoking gun to point you to - we are fixing the issues discovered in testing while we are concurrently looking into the performance issues that players have reported.

You are welcome to ask me anything (ideally about the campaign) and I will answer what I can.
Okay:
-Why is there nothing to do in the town scenes for the player when this was considered a priority from Bannerlord's inception? As a former modder does the abject shallowness of this game not irritate you?

Okay:
-Why is there nothing to do in the town scenes for the player when this was considered a priority from Bannerlord's inception? As a former modder does the abject shallowness of this game not irritate you?
For a former Floris modder, only the number of features count, not the actual gameplay. So expect more lines in patch notes. :razz:
@Duh_TaleWorlds I'm curious what is your role in the team and what are you personally working on in the last few weeks? An average forum user has only a few glimpses of what's going on there from Mexxico.

Do you have any updates about the order of battle systems, in particular pre-battle placement and formations, or any related systems being worked on? Also any news related to captains, such as being able to change them in the order of battle screen, or having mounted captains stay behind infantry or archer groups during the advance and charge commands?

Back
Top Bottom