Were our expectations to high?

Users who are viewing this thread

I never played the original warband, I have 400 hours in this game, I barley play a game for more than 50 hours, with a lot of mods of course, so for me it's the best game in many years,after my beloved Company of heroes 2.
I have more than 5k hours spread across M&B classic/warband and it's many amazing total conversion mods.

I have some 200h in bannerlord most spent in the first months of EA not having fun but hunting bugs and testing the game to give feedback so it could be improved only to find the community feedback falling into deaf ears or being shutdown for going against their "vision" or being "too complex" when most of it is common sense in the community or features previous M&B games had 10+ years ago that now are deemed too complex.

The original M&B was made by two people and had more soul and immersive content than bannerlord has now with it's 100+ employees team, it's mind-blowing..

This is a genuine question for all those who loved the Mount and Blade series. Yesterday i was going through the interwebs and found that in either 2014 or 2016, Paradox Interactive made the decision to allow their subsidiary companies to split. I think at first glance this wouldn't seem like such a big deal. Looking back now i can say that i think this was a terrible move by Paradox. While Paradox has some of the worst DLC policies in the industry they actively talk with the community and engage with people on forums (HOI4, CK3, City Skylines).

We were also given an amazing demo by TW in 2018 during gamescom that showed a siege actually going correct with ai using all the right pathfinding. Immeditaely my expectation for this game went through the roof as I was saying "if the game looks like this then 2020 must be better". And then you have youtubers like Resonant who during the initial release of dev blogs and staged gameplay hyped this game up for thousands of people only for it to fail at launch.

All in all our expectation for this game following the 2018 gamescom demo were extremely high. From the release of weekly dev blogs, to vides made by TW that showed gameplay and talked about upcoming features (some that never happened because they were too complex) and youtubers hyping the game up for simply views and subscribers aka Resonant.
No. They built that hype, then sold us what they had as "early access" while they could.

It's showing they can't make a game of the promised scope, taking warband to "the next level". They take too long to try and fix or implement something no one asked for, while breaking functioning features in the process. This is a broken indie game with inappropriate price

Considering games and sequels in general, yeah I guess expectations were too high.
But everything they ever sowed on dev blogs demos was very impressive and desirable, so hmmmmm
It's okay though, Bannerlord is good enough and mods will eventual add the stuff we missed out on and more! ?

Good enough for you, and your incredibly low standards.

If we expect it to be a better and deeper game than Warband incorporating great features from some of the most popular mods, then of course our expectations are too high.
If we expect it to be a better and deeper version of Warband, then our expectations are apparently still too high.
Nobody says a sequel has to be an improvement. As long as it sells, it is a success. And Bannerlord is not only a commercial success but also a user-approved product according to Steam reviews.

Fortunately for us unhappy few on this forum, we can always expect the modders to deliver what TW could never achieve. I just hope they could wrap up this disaster and officially release the game so the real developing could comfortably begin.

If we expect it to be a better and deeper game than Warband incorporating great features from some of the most popular mods, then of course our expectations are too high.
If we expect it to be a better and deeper version of Warband, then our expectations are apparently still too high.
These two was my expectations. It seems they were too high. Truly, fells bad man.

lmao, whats the source on that? seems like quite an unjust claim to me.
Out of his entire idiotic post, this sentence is actually kind of true. Lust, the old community manager, was fired shortly after causing a week long drama with forum regulars, and had been months late on blogs multiple times.

The terrain maps and the keep battles (in sieges) are the remaining major features. They'll do something about banners and they'll try more tweaks with the lord and kingdom AI, but other than further tweaks, balancing and bugfixes, they are indeed done.
If anyone says otherwise, it's wishful thinking unsupported by evidence such as dev statements and roadmaps. And most of all, Taleworlds' poor development record,

This is the one thing I will never understand about player hype: assuming that features will be in the game when they are never even announced. While TW definitely promoted some game mechanics that never showed up, this is not abnormal for game development where it's common for up to half the mechanics or assets to be scrapped. But if you look at most of the blogs and forum posts, just about everything Taleworlds announced is in the final game. It's no different to most other blog cycles. It's definitely no No Man's Sky.

Even now, with the game fully released, some people are still acting like there are new mechanics around the corner. It's nuts, and taleworlds has done nothing to promote these views either with their dry-ass patches and near total absence from the forums. I don't think you could possibly blame the hype on the marketing, which has for the most part been terrible.

Rewind back to 2018. If you showed me all the blogs and said "do you think this will be a good game", I would have said no. Thus the final result is not really that surprising to me. And as much as marketing in general is all about obfuscation and strategic lying, i think a good deal of gamer hype comes from people filling in the gaps of what they want the game to be, rather than what it likely will be.

This is the one thing I will never understand about player hype: assuming that features will be in the game when they are never even announced. While TW definitely promoted some game mechanics that never showed up, this is not abnormal for game development where it's common for up to half the mechanics or assets to be scrapped. But if you look at most of the blogs and forum posts, just about everything Taleworlds announced is in the final game. It's no different to most other blog cycles. It's definitely no No Man's Sky.
One thing that doesn't help is people constantly dump a bunch of lies on reddit posts and such about what features are coming, just like a wish list of what they want, with no back up at all. Of course if you post to say "no the devs said no already" or "this thread is what they're working on" it just gets downvoted because "me no like true ?". And of course you're attacking them if you link actual information that contradicts them.... I'm sorry reddit, let me just prop my jaws wide open you just shovel the **** in, what was I thinking.

lmao, whats the source on that? seems like quite an unjust claim to me.
I mean, there won't be any official TW source telling you straight-up: "Well we fired our community manager because he was doing a crappy job at community managing". But I remember people complaining about old community manager a lot about actually 0 communication and work, and then he was gone and they got Callum that started doing devblogs and such, trying to improve on that. So you can figure it out from the context, nobody will spoonfeed you such sensitive information.

For 8 years of DEV time this game is terrible currently.
I love how folks always think games are developed over night. Maybe cookie cutter games that are made over and over with the same engine and concept (COD style games) they tend to take only a few years to developed cause the resources are all ready there. TW actually had to start over and create a new engine to run the game. Lets not even mention the fact they aren't actually a company that was known for making games, just mainly translating them. So they don't have a long development background other than just one game.

I didn't get my hopes up and expect way more than they promised or showed. They are showing improvements but it's taking time. I notice folks now a day just have no patience. Maybe it's the fact I'm older or something but I got other games to play with to kill time. Many of them are EA games in development. Some will make it some won't.

Go out side, enough the sun, do something other than ***** and complain about every thing. Maybe your life will be more fun.

I love how folks always think games are developed over night. Maybe cookie cutter games that are made over and over with the same engine and concept (COD style games) they tend to take only a few years to developed cause the resources are all ready there. TW actually had to start over and create a new engine to run the game. Lets not even mention the fact they aren't actually a company that was known for making games, just mainly translating them. So they don't have a long development background other than just one game.

I didn't get my hopes up and expect way more than they promised or showed. They are showing improvements but it's taking time. I notice folks now a day just have no patience. Maybe it's the fact I'm older or something but I got other games to play with to kill time. Many of them are EA games in development. Some will make it some won't.

Go out side, enough the sun, do something other than ***** and complain about every thing. Maybe your life will be more fun.
Perhaps understand what a good video game company produces after a year in EA, then get out and get your sun. It helps with reality. I have been modding games for 20 years dude, this game is a coding mess with terrible late game options for the player and virtually no immersive qualities. For 20 dollars when the bugs are mostly put to bed? Yeah, for 50 dollars, absolutely no way. Look at the view points of the better experienced mod creators on here, not myself, they will tell you.

Last edited:
I love how folks always think games are developed over night.
We used to get people like you every week, now it's every day. What made you come here to fight the complaints?
There's a sizable community here including experienced developers, modders, project managers and people otherwise involved in software development. We follow the development of Bannerlord closely and put together dev statements, leaks, code snippets... everything we can to get a picture of their problems that caused the current state of the game.
You, on the other hand, know next to nothing and try to defend Taleworlds on purely speculative grounds. What's your motivation? Why did you think the complainers are wrong and easy targets for criticism?

Once the devs pulled in tens of millions in the successful launch I presumed that would solve any issues but I was totally wrong. A year later either they're misspending the money or they're tucking it away on another project

No because I had seen the lengths the modding community took Warband, so I expected them to use some of that for guidance.

Once the devs pulled in tens of millions in the successful launch I presumed that would solve any issues but I was totally wrong. A year later either they're misspending the money or they're tucking it away on another project
Just one glance at the freelancer mod (real actual deep content) and you can tell TWs is not lifting a finger with this game given the resources.

Back
Top Bottom