The most annoying problem with battle formations atm; automatically realingning units

Users who are viewing this thread

DennyWiseau

Veteran
The fact that whole unit formations automatically realign them selves toward a single or few attacking enemies(especially cav units) can be infuriating in battle. This means that you constantly have to command your units to face toward the main bulk of the attacking enemy force, which always leads to frustrating spamming of commands, that your units often ignore because another single cavalry unit attack your ranged/infantry formation, rinse repeat.

The fact that units react to getting harrashed is cool and for the most part how it should be, the problem lies in the fact that insted of a few units reacting to the threat the whole formation does and do a 90-180 degree turn to face them, which can lead to massive losses.

Tbh I'm not sure if realingning of units is even (fully) working as intended (any dev that can confirm or deny?) because of the fact that units will even realign themselves/break formation in both circle and square formation, which really defeat the purpose of using such formations in the first place.

What I would suggest in the very least is an option to tell your units to ignore harrashment. However if TW really want to improve and circumvent these problems I think the best way would be to allow us to command specific unit formations to target other specific units, such as cavalry attack archers. Right now cav always seem to rambo themselves into the enemies main battle lines unless I spend 90% of the battle specifically ordering them around, but that is another (although related) problem.

Last edited:
The game is designed in such a way that the player doesn't have to worry about thinking, the AI does that for you :iamamoron: ?

giphy.gif

On a more serious note, this problem has been ongoing since we fans were able to experience Bannerlord in the closed alpha-beta period of 2019-2020. If it hasn't been fixed yet, it's either because it's a premeditated design decision or because addressing it isn't a priority at this point.

From that to not being able to choose the weapon use for the bots at the time the player wants and a long etc of licenses that put an AI command priority ahead of the player.

What I would suggest in the very least is an option to tell your units to ignore harrashment. However if TW really want to improve and circumvent these problems I think the best way would be to allow us to command specific unit formations to target other specific units, such as cavalry attack archers. Right now cav always seem to rambo themselves into the enemies main battle lines unless I spend 90% of the battle specifically ordering them around, but that is another (although related) problem.
Units will stay in place if you use a drag-and-drop move order.

Units will stay in place if you use a drag-and-drop move order.
Which is highly unintuitive. Plus I personally have never been able to get the size I want with drag and drop. My formation either ends up too wide or too compact.

Though in disclaimer, I haven't tried resizing my formations in several versions. I hated it enough to push it out of my memory while playing.

Back
Top Bottom