The new Garrison recruitment is pretty awful. Need a *NO* Option ASAP, suggestion or bug, not sure so it goes here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Reason of losing garrison even wage limit is higher than current wage is probably your troops are mostly low tier and they can be upgraded in next days. So current algorithm leave space for upgrades. This is a general rule applied both garrison and clan parties. Garrisons are upgraded slower so in next patches we can make this rule only applied for mobile clan parties maybe.

It seems we could not tell system to player clear. Lets assume you set wage limit to 500 and your party has 150 troops then system first find expected troop count by dividing 500 to wage of tier-3 (3 is average tier) troop which is 5 denars. So it finds expected party size as 500 denars / 5 denars = 100. If your party has more than 100 troops that party disbands troops until it’s party size reaches 100 even current wage is lower than limit. So low tier troops can continue upgrading. Otherwise upgrade stops if wage limit is reached. Assume you have 150 tier-2 troops current wage is 150x3=450 so after several troops are upgraded all upgrades will stop. To avoid this system first finds expected party size then disbands even limit is higher than current wage.

Maybe we should show this expected party size somehow to player.
Thank you for explaining that. I think the way it works doesn't make any sense to anyone. We would expect it to check what the troops actually in the garrison exactly cost and to not change anything if the limit matched the current wage. The player can throw out any current units it doesn't want, so there is no reason the system should be trying to do it for us. The main thing the player will be doing with the wage slider is trying to prevent more units from joining the garrison.

I think really a option to disable this would be the best fix. I want the garrison to meet certain security benchmark without over eating the food. I also use troops that I want for field units in the future so what ever I put in the garrison I expect it to stay there. Consider the garrison the players personal property, it should never be thrown out for any reason unless the player is horrifically negligent. This system is a lot of more trouble then any help it provides.

I can't state enough that if this goes to stable version is really can't be showing -5 Garrison when the player tries to set the wage to what wage currently is, that will never make sense to anyone.

About other problems @Dejan already added “yes/no auto recruitment” to suggestions list by the way. I hope it will be accepted. We can also stop auto recruitment when there is no extra food production at that town.
I missed this part of you post before, thank you very much. Those are both good changes, I would like them both very much. ? ?

Why not have party size limit and wage limit at the same time? Player can set priority for one of these. Let's say I set party size limit to 100 and wage limit to 1000 denars then I checked priority option for wage limit. Assume that the new party(80 soldiers) mostly consists of recruits. So the party leader as expected will recruit more and stop it when part size will be 100 soldiers. But as party soldiers will be upgraded, the party wage will exceed 1000 denars. Since I set wage limit as priority, soldiers will start to desert party. Vice versa will happen when I set party size limit as priority. Is this plausible to do so? @mexxico

Why not have party size limit and wage limit at the same time? Player can set priority for one of these. Let's say I set party size limit to 100 and wage limit to 1000 denars then I checked priority option for wage limit. Assume that the new party(80 soldiers) mostly consists of recruits. So the party leader as expected will recruit more and stop it when part size will be 100 soldiers. But as party soldiers will be upgraded, the party wage will exceed 1000 denars. Since I set wage limit as priority, soldiers will start to desert party. Vice versa will happen when I set party size limit as priority. Is this plausible to do so? @mexxico
That kind of detailed micromanagement is not welcomed and accepted. In some cases I want more micromanagement like you (experienced hardcore players) but this is too detailed according to me too. I think we should solve this with only one slider.

That kind of detailed micromanagement is not welcomed and accepted. In some cases I want more micromanagement like you (experienced hardcore players) but this is too detailed according to me too. I think we should solve this with only one slider.

I'm onboard with doing away with micromanagement but not "complexity" please. It's a strategic game so some thinking/decision making ought to be involved.

With regard to the slider, may I please request that there are "grooves" so that we can actually arrive at the optimal number. It takes alot of sliding around just to reach the correct amount. It can get quite frustrating.

Yes this can be a passive solution. If this is implemented player will need to supply his town 100s of food in each 10-20-30 days if that town has daily -10 / -20 food change. This can be a boring loop for player however it will be a new way for player to protect his starving town. I will suggest this even this is not a fun play style. We will also think other possible solutions to this known starving town problem. Maybe food prices can be increased more in these towns so caravans can carry more food to these. There is no perfect solution to this problem.
Another option would to have food supplies from villages scale upwards as prosperity and hearths increase. As has been noted, there is a "soft cap" that is created when a town get's too high prosperity it will eventually lose it as well as loyalty due to the fact food supplies from the villages is hard capped.

This is made worse for towns with only two bound towns, is there any plans to increase every town to have three bound villages? I know that will require at least a dozen or more villages to be added, but outside of sellings *hundreds* of units of food, there is not a way to fix this, so supplying food in the stash would be better than having to sell 100s of units of food at a loss to temporarily fix the situation.

Sorry for the derail

@mexxico @SadShogun I know you guys are working on this but I just want to add this in for completion in case it's relevant.
I just captured and garrisoned this castle and adjusted the wage as best I could with 100 units, then in a couple days I did in fact get a disbanded 1 troops message from it. Looking at it on the party fief screen I can see the current wage has indeed exceeded the wage limit I set (which was higher then current wage at the time) and it did add in at least 3 troops leaving me at 102 after 1 deserted. Hope it wasn't a Noble's son.
Edit: Further more, after another day it disbands another and shows it will disband another, if I change the wage to avoid it disbanding a troop it will just take more in and go over the wage again. It's just completely unreliable and not useful.

Last edited:
What I think would be really good though for this system, is to be able to just stop recruiting units but also not limit the wage. I would actually like to upgrade any unit I put in the garrison when possible, however I don't want extra recruits or random troops going into it. It's a food issue.
If I put 100 Noble sons and tribal warriors into a garrison, it's really great if they turn into t3 units over time. But if the system adds in recruits and kick out my good units instead, that's really bad and undermines the entire point of a garrison and thus the single player game in general. We could just play custom battle all day if these things didn't matter to us.

What I think would be really good though for this system, is to be able to just stop recruiting units but also not limit the wage. I would actually like to upgrade any unit I put in the garrison when possible, however I don't want extra recruits or random troops going into it. It's a food issue.
If I put 100 Noble sons and tribal warriors into a garrison, it's really great if they turn into t3 units over time. But if the system adds in recruits and kick out my good units instead, that's really bad and undermines the entire point of a garrison and thus the single player game in general. We could just play custom battle all day if these things didn't matter to us.

+1,000,000

+1

@mexxico I know you get tagged a ton but this is EXACTLY what is needed. I like in upgrades-over-time and wage sliders, but a flag / dropdown to block new troops from being donate & block recruitment would be ideal. (I think passive XP over time needs a major bump, 2 to 6 XP a day depending on perks is really bad)

+1

@mexxico I know you get tagged a ton but this is EXACTLY what is needed. I like in upgrades-over-time and wage sliders, but a flag / dropdown to block new troops from being donate & block recruitment would be ideal. (I think passive XP over time needs a major bump, 2 to 6 XP a day depending on perks is really bad)

Yes we think same. If it is accepted we can add a checkbox to block auto recruitment & donation. So 99% of problems about this issue will be fixed. Then player can select "I do not want donations & auto recruitment" so only your troops will continue being upgraded until wage limit is reached. Also we can add no auto recruitment when there is no extra food. Even better we should add 2 checkboxes one for donations and one for auto recruitment but I do not think it can be accepted so we will go for one checkbox to be accepted.

Only problem is if your settlement won a siege and left with weak garrison and if you did not clicked checkbox nobody will make donations there and there will be no auto recruitment until you click that checkbox and you can lose that settlement easily to enemy in second siege. And enemy will see your garrison is weak and make a secondary siege in next days. However if player did not clicked that checkbox he accepted that risk so no big problem.

Last edited:
@mexxico the current and in my opinion biggest problem with this slider is the fact that it is impossible to set the exact number for garrison wages.
For example, i took a town, i dumped my entire army as a garrison or a portion of my troops as a garrison. Their wages is let say 1830, however, i can't set this exact number. I can set 1832. As a result, i will lose my top-tier units so that script would match set wages exactly.
i made a SS. Due to this system, my garrison lost 13 top-tier infantry and 4 archers in favor of some trash, cannon fodder troops.
p.s. as you can understand more troops in the garrison, more food they consume. i would like to delay prosperity-starvation loop as long as possible.

Last edited:
Yes we think same. If it is accepted we can add a checkbox to block auto recruitment & donation. So 99% of problems about this issue will be fixed. Then player can select "I do not want donations & auto recruitment" so only your troops will continue being upgraded until wage limit is reached. Also we can add no auto recruitment when there is no extra food. Even better we should add 2 checkboxes one for donations and one for auto recruitment but I do not think it can be accepted so we will go for one checkbox to be accepted.

Only problem is if your settlement won a siege and left with weak garrison and if you did not clicked checkbox nobody will make donations there and there will be no auto recruitment until you click that checkbox and you can lose that settlement easily to enemy in second siege. And enemy will see your garrison is weak and make a secondary siege in next days. However if player did not clicked that checkbox he accepted that risk so no big problem.
Thank you I hope they're accepted!

Checkbox is accepted today, it will be added in next patches.
Additional bug fix for desertion would be nice:

If you hover over garrison wage slider it says:
"If limit is lower than current wage, party will not recruit troops until wage is reduced to the limit, If limit is higher than current wage, party will keep recruiting"

There is nothing about reducing garrison on its own to limit set by player. So if limit is set to 1000, current wage is 1100 there shouldn't be any desertion. It works fine for mobile parties but is bugged for garrisons.

I'm very happy with Improved Garrisons mod. The author did an amazing work.

Back
Top Bottom