Lots of Lag and General Performance Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

I am not sure if this should go in the technical section because this isn't a specific bug I am reporting, but ever since I purchased the game I have had pretty big performance issues with the game. The problem arises mainly when I am navigating the menus. Whenever I enter a town, get into the trade menu, smithy, character info, encyclopedia, or anything of the sort my game freezes for a second and then lags the entire game for quite a while. Sometimes I experience some lag in battles and on the map but it isn't really that bad and nowhere near as alarming as the issues explained before. When I first bought the game I had a pretty bad laptop so I understood the issues. However, my PC has been considerably upgraded. I have an RTX 3060Ti, AMD 5 3600, an SSD, and 16GB of RAM. These specs should be more than adequate to run the game so I am confused about what the issue is. My only guess is that the campaign I am currently playing on was originally created a few patches ago but like I said, I have had these issues ever since I got the game. Any help would be helpful!

I am not sure if this should go in the technical section because this isn't a specific bug I am reporting, but ever since I purchased the game I have had pretty big performance issues with the game. The problem arises mainly when I am navigating the menus. Whenever I enter a town, get into the trade menu, smithy, character info, encyclopedia, or anything of the sort my game freezes for a second and then lags the entire game for quite a while. Sometimes I experience some lag in battles and on the map but it isn't really that bad and nowhere near as alarming as the issues explained before. When I first bought the game I had a pretty bad laptop so I understood the issues. However, my PC has been considerably upgraded. I have an RTX 3060Ti, AMD 5 3600, an SSD, and 16GB of RAM. These specs should be more than adequate to run the game so I am confused about what the issue is. My only guess is that the campaign I am currently playing on was originally created a few patches ago but like I said, I have had these issues ever since I got the game. Any help would be helpful!
I have played this game from release with a pc that was far less powerfull than yours, yet the game ran perfectly for about one year. Noow im having the same problem as you, and its putting me of on playing the game. I really hope that the devs will fix this issue in the next patch.

Yeah the menu, encyclopaedia etc. lag was introduced or massively increased in a recent patch. There always seem to be issues with "memory leaks" and things like that which make make playing the game unbearable for a lot of people regardless of how good their computers are.

Well, I guess I am glad that I am not the only one who has the issue haha. My best guess right now is that when I bought the game with my crummy laptop it just couldn't run the game well and when I recently got my new PC I chose an inconvenient time to get back into the game.

One thing caused crashes and performance lag for me seemed to be having Shaders on High in graphics settings. Try lowering it to medium or low and see if helps.

Also, make sure limit frames while in menus or might be called enable vsync in menus is disabled under video settings. At least helped for me.

Although GeForce experience keeps changing my damn settings.

All that said i still have optimization issues after tons of tweaking

it's funny, when the game just came out i've had memory leak issues. the game would turn into sludge after about an hour of play. dropping in fps hard. but then i updated my g-card and it improved dramatically. i also just started to restart my pc every 2-3 hours and this issue is gone basically.

last year sometime, they introduced a patch to "dramatically improve menu screen load time" but it didn't do anything for me.
i recently started playing another save, and have experienced this huge lag from every menu screen. it's really annoying tbh.

Got the same issues. Game has terrific FPS everywhere but huge fps drop when entering in-game menus (buying soldiers, inventory, skill tree, quests, etc). I truly hope they'll fix it soon. I came back after a long break thinking the game will be better and now it's unplayable (for me) with those insane fps drops every time a menu opens which is quite a lot in a game like that.

Got the same issues, especially navigating menus, I tried everything but nope. I've additional SSD, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM etc.

Hey, we improved it a lot in the 1.5.10 beta. Were you playing the 1.5.9? Also for people playing 1.5.10, does it feel as good as the "previous versions (very old as @KingEroc1st mentioned)" or do you think it was better before?
As always thank you for your feedback!

Got the same issues. Game has terrific FPS everywhere but huge fps drop when entering in-game menus (buying soldiers, inventory, skill tree, quests, etc). I truly hope they'll fix it soon. I came back after a long break thinking the game will be better and now it's unplayable (for me) with those insane fps drops every time a menu opens which is quite a lot in a game like that.
Yep, 1.5.10 is the worst for me in terms of performance.

Got the same issues, especially navigating menus, I tried everything but nope. I've additional SSD, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM etc.
Same issues here, loading menus is horrible... the trading screen lags so much. The last version I played was 1.5.7 so I can not compare with the previous one, but vs the 1.5.7 is far worse.

Hey, we improved it a lot in the 1.5.10 beta. Were you playing the 1.5.9? Also for people playing 1.5.10, does it feel as good as the "previous versions (very old as @KingEroc1st mentioned)" or do you think it was better before?
I didn't play for long time, I came back on 1.5.10 and:
1. All menus lags
2. Campain map got lag spikes
3. I got crashes sometimes on settlement and battle map load
4. I got lag spikes during battles (even small ones)

Performance is aaaaaaaaaaawful comparing to older versions (I think last one i played was 1.5.6)

Were you playing the 1.5.9? Also for people playing
I played 1.5.10. All the menus still have screen lags. Maybe worse. (144hz, 128 sounds, max fr 144)
Also I tried 1.5.10 with these settings: 60hz, 128 sounds, max fr 60. It's better that way but seems to me no change at all. Same as 1.5.9.

Although I have a patoto pc and I had this issue since EA release, in 1.5.10 navigating through menus became a nightmare. There is also
the issue when clossing the menu, campaign map is also lags and I can barely move for 10-20 seconds.

I skipped out on a lot of patches, but the menu lag is worse in 1.5.10 then it was for me in 1.5.5

Both 1.5.9 and 1.5.10 lag a lot.
I tried to 1.5.4 and it was the same as the 1.5.10 (perhaps 1.5.10 was a bit faster). I agree that there is a freeze of about half a second, but the problem is definitely not worse in 1.5.10. However, I have a high-end PC and the results may differ.

I tried to 1.5.4 and it was the same as the 1.5.10 (perhaps 1.5.10 was a bit faster). I agree that there is a freeze of about half a second, but the problem is definitely not worse in 1.5.10. However, I have a high-end PC and the results may differ.
For me, yes, 1.5.10 is not worse then 1.5.9.

But 1.5.10 still lags and should still have more room for improvement.

Recently returned to the game, definitely in agreement with a lot of other posters in this thread, the performance is extremely sluggish compared to before. Frequent stutters in all menus, 'rotating dials' for 2-3 seconds while loading icons, stutters on the main map (especially if I zoom out and back in). I don't recall having these kinds of stutters before in the Early Access (certainly, not this type of permanent gameplay impediment). Am on a fairly high-end PC that has historically handled the game very well (RTX 2080 Ti, i9-7900) so I don't think hardware is to blame, either. I hope you guys can figure out what went wrong.

I seem to recall a period recently when the game had no beta branch. Did you push updates straight to the main branch (1.5.9) during that time? I get the impression (anecdotal as I haven't been the most active player, lately) that the substantial performance degradation kicked in sometime during 1.5.9.

My campaign map is lagging a lot in 1.5.10 when opening menus. It is a bit better than 1.5.9 but it is still worse than some patches ago where I had 0 lag.

Back
Top Bottom