Freelancer should be implemented into vanilla Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

I have been thinking about it too, especially current state of Freelancer creates really different ways to play, and I do not see neither complexity which distracts little Jimmy's basic gameplay (console guy) nor too hard to implement. Taleworlds should consider this seriously I mean seriously.

I got it last night and just from my few hours of gametime, I care about my lord more than my past games children/wife. It's actually really cool, especially during sieges and as you walk up the walls and your friends are just getting shot one by one. Not knowing if you're next. I can't wait to try the bandit game one day.

Last edited:
I got it last night and just from my few hours of gametime, I care about my lord more than my past games children/wife. It's actually really cool, especially during sieges and as you walk up the walls and your friends are just getting shot one by one. I can't wait to try the bandit game one day.
This is content, what TWs is doing is fiddling around with things.

I got it last night and just from my few hours of gametime, I care about my lord more than my past games children/wife. It's actually really cool, especially during sieges and as you walk up the walls and your friends are just getting shot one by one. I can't wait to try the bandit game one day.
Is it worth reinstalling the game again to try it or is it still not enough to make the game semi-enjoyable?

Is it worth reinstalling the game again to try it or is it still not enough to make the game semi-enjoyable?
I would say yes, honestly brought back the fun in playing that I had lost. To be fair though freelancer was one of my favorite mods from Warband so I'm biased.

Bloc has done an amazing job.

I have been thinking about it too, especially current state of Freelancer creates really different ways to play, and I do not see neither complexity which distracts little Jimmy's basic gameplay (console guy) nor too hard to implement. Taleworlds should consider this seriously I mean seriously.
+1
+1

It is without a doubt a content that we hope to have in the game in its final version.
More gameplay alternatives, possibility to play as a soldier or a bandit, is it too much to ask?

Yup, I haven‘t had this much fun with the game since release.

It adds a sense of progression, helps with role play, brings a whole new way of approaching the battlefield and is just overall a really cool feature!

to me it is, it improved early game quite a lot and the newest update even allows you to seamlessly climb the ranks and become a vassal when reaching max rank if you so wishes.

This is the kind of fun and immersive content the game sorely lacks, Bloc did an incredible work and his version of freelancer already surpasses warband's one in content and fun.

It's pretty fun, while I don't know if it is worth reinstalling the entire game. You should definitely check it out once you play again. It's just a chill experience to have, the only downside is when your lord dies, major depression.

I have great hopes for this playthrough actually. Got a bunch of mods so hopefully it won't become stale too quickly

It's pretty fun, while I don't know if it is worth reinstalling the entire game. You should definitely check it out once you play again. It's just a chill experience to have, the only downside is when your lord dies, major depression.
Downside? That's what makes it so engaging! In regular playthroughs, I run through wives like I'm Genghis Khan, now I hold grudges on whoever dares to touch my lord Achios.

With Bloc's roadmap as well, oh my, we are in for a treat! It just sucks to know that this hard work doesn't help pay the bills. It is also what frustrates me most about TW's attitude to adding, well... content.

Downside? That's what makes it so engaging! In regular playthroughs, I run through wives like I'm Genghis Khan, now I hold grudges on whoever dares to touch my lord Achios.

With Bloc's roadmap as well, oh my, we are in for a treat! It just sucks to know that this hard work doesn't help pay the bills. It is also what frustrates me most about TW's attitude to adding, well... content.
I don't want to be sad!! But now I have to raze entire kingdoms for dare hurting my lord.

It be cool if/when your lord dies, based on your popularity/fame, a portion of the troops that the lord had stays with you. Or those in your squad can level up to be companions in your clan. This could lead to some interesting stories about how you and your friends were abandoned by the kingdom you once served. So now you shall be their worst fear, being a bandit!!!

Last edited:
I don't want to be sad!! But now I have to raze entire kingdoms for dare hurting my lord.

It be cool if/when your lord dies, based on your popularity/fame, a portion of the troops that the lord had stays with you. Or those in your squad can level up to be companions in your clan. This could lead to some interesting stories about how you and your friends were abandoned by the kingdom you once served. So now you shall be their worst fear, being a bandit!!!
I'd say post this in the nexus forum suggestion page he has. This sounds incredible.

But in any case, @Bloc .

It's not removed features, just streamlining the game for the console players.

As I said in a lot of threads, I don't get why you guys push this narrative so much.
Heck Warband is on old-gen consoles, as far as I know there are no features scrapped from the base game. ( except number of troops, performance wise maybe, but this isn't a feature per se )

As I said in a lot of threads, I don't get why you guys push this narrative so much.
Because many indications point to this being the case?

As many, many people already stated, the UI downgrade screams simplification for controllers. Need I remind you that time and resources were poured into the UI to make it simpler than what was already there. Aside from that, AI behaviour has stagnated compared to mods of the previous installments (PBoD, VC) despite this new engine. Furthermore, game design in general has taken a VERY simplified route. Of course, people can have opinions on these decisions, good or bad, and for the forums, consisting of many M&B veterans, the general consensus is written all over The Citadel.

Heck Warband is on old-gen consoles, as far as I know there are no features scrapped from the base game. ( except number of troops, performance wise maybe, but this isn't a feature per se )
This is not a fair comparison in the slightest! WB in and of itself wasn't very complex, but memorable. People were able to appreciate the passion put in its creation, with many of the rough, non-mainstream features working in its favour. Much of what made WB great is missing in BL, things that aren't necessarily difficult in concept (Feasts, manhunters, courting, INTERACTION, etc). Instead of building on to these, we instead were given a glorified battle simulator with click screens for management. Of course, people can have their opinions on whether they like this or not, console or PC.

Still, despite this, I agree that not every single feature that is taken out of the game is because of the thought for a console port. No, instead its just due to plain incompetence on TW's part, incapable of innovating and taking risks(ambushes, minor faction bases, sally outs, village upgrades, co-op, freelancer, etc).

Because many indications point to this being the case?

As many, many people already stated, the UI downgrade screams simplification for controllers. Need I remind you that time and resources were poured into the UI to make it simpler than what was already there. Aside from that, AI behaviour has stagnated compared to mods of the previous installments (PBoD, VC) despite this new engine. Furthermore, game design in general has taken a VERY simplified route. Of course, people can have opinions on these decisions, good or bad, and for the forums, consisting of many M&B veterans, the general consensus is written all over The Citadel.

This is not a fair comparison in the slightest! WB in and of itself wasn't very complex, but memorable. People were able to appreciate the passion put in its creation, with many of the rough, non-mainstream features working in its favour. Much of what made WB great is missing in BL, things that aren't necessarily difficult in concept (Feasts, manhunters, courting, INTERACTION, etc). Instead of building on to these, we instead were given a glorified battle simulator with click screens for management. Of course, people can have their opinions on whether they like this or not, console or PC.

Still, despite this, I agree that not every single feature that is taken out of the game is because of the thought for a console port. No, instead its just due to plain incompetence on TW's part, incapable of innovating and taking risks(ambushes, minor faction bases, sally outs, village upgrades, co-op, freelancer, etc).

We all acknowledge the UI part, repeating this countless times when the premise of this criticism is mainly about the lack of features doesn't make your argument better. In case, you're drifting away the conversation.

So again, which indications exactly ?
Let me link two of my messages :

Yes Warband is relevant because the general consensus on this forum is the fact that TW is unable to push those same features into Bannerlord in a effective way, or is incredibly slow on that matter.
It is god damn relevant because that game was shipped on consoles into the past, and praised for it. Complex features or not that isn't the question here. This game had features, features not yet seen on Bannerlord.
Of course it was a port, and most of the game design was done and packed years and years before, still, it is on consoles.

I got the impression that somehow, you guys tend to point a general public ennemy as to why Bannerlord seems shallow, omitting countless of variables some we can't know we as a community, since we are on the realm of Soon™ .

Agreed on your points especially the last one, but to me you're fooling yourself if you think that somehow the state of the game on it's current build has to be because of an allegedly console port.
And of course I'm talking in general, not you personally as I wrote this message knowing you're definitely not the only one who seem to point the console port as a black sheep and the key of every problems the game is facing somehow.

edited : revelant to relevant. my poor english.

Last edited:
It's just a reasonable explanation for the current state of the game. It's not a terrible game by any means but they were hyping it up to be the world's greatest medieval sim to ever exist, and all we get is warband with missing features. A literal bruh moment if I've ever seen one.

Yes Warband is relevant because the general consensus on this forum is the fact that TW is unable to push those same features into Bannerlord in a effective way, or is incredibly slow on that matter.
It is god damn relevant because that game was shipped on consoles into the past, and praised for it. Complex features or not that isn't the question here. This game had features, features not yet seen on Bannerlord.
Of course it was a port, and most of the game design was done and packed years and years before, still, it is on consoles.
I think you are misunderstanding, the reason that comparison isn't relevant is because Warband was ported to consoles after the fact. 6 years after in fact.

Bannerlord is still in EA, and as you yourself have realized, the UI being simplified AFTER existing in a sophisticated state is the point that raises many questions. They are very different examples, and I understand that I did not convey it in that sense.

I got the impression that somehow, you guys tend to point a general public ennemy as to why Bannerlord seems shallow, omitting countless of variables some we can't know we as a community, since we are on the realm of Soon™ .

Agreed on your points especially the last one, but to me you're fooling yourself if you think that somehow the state of the game on it's current build has to be because of an allegedly console port.
This is not a 'them vs us' argument! We all want BL to be the best it can be. I personally am not hating on console players because of them being console players. I, and others, are disappointed and worried that complex mechanics - mechanics that ONCE existed in a working form - are being reworked as a priority to be more accessible to input devices, with time and resources being poured into these changes. This needs to be realized, and as you say, these changes are being made a priority over critical content that existed in previous games.

Me pointing indications is in no way agreeing that I know 100% that BL is in the state it's in because of consoles. Of course not! What I am saying however is that from looking at certain design choices and trends, it is very likely that some features are being reformed to make BL accessible to as many input devices, at the cost of gameplay too, something forum users (mainly PC) absolutely do not want.

Back
Top Bottom