Is the Forum a pit of disappointment? Yes it is :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Long term fans of the series come to this forum. Long term fans know what TW is capable of and how good the old games were. Newcomers who dont know about it, like it because the mount and blade concept in general is still pretty cool. They just think "oh cool, what an innovative and fun concept, give it a like and dont come here, thus its a pit of dissappointment.

I think this partly boils down to Bannerlord being a decent game unless you've played Warband. The Warband-people probably, and with good reason, expected a lot more from Bannerlord than what we currently have. I mean, if you had told me three years ago that stuff like feasts wouldn't be in the game, I would call you crazy. Now... oh well.

Warband is a worse game in most regards until you mod it.

:grin:

At least you can mod it. Bannerlord's modding tools are paltry compared to what was promised, and multiplayer mods simply cannot have any progress made on them at the moment. At this stage in development on Warband, Mount and Musket was already thriving.

Viking Conquest (official mod) was the best Mount and Blade for me. BL is objectively a step down, albeit with better graphics and UI.
I enjoyed viking conquest, but it also felt enough on rails to make replayability less exciting. But it has been a while and I think they did a few changes since last I played it

That's a subjective statement.

After I played Bannerlord for a while, and was disappointed, I asked myself the same thing.
I asked myself wether Warband (native) really was so much better than Bannerlord or if that was just my imagination from all the time I played with mods.

I started another game in Warband (native) and at first I thought; hell, Warband sure has some issues.
It's graphics are horrible, the randomized battle maps with their extremely unrealistic steep mountains were a pain in the butt and a lot of the issues I was complaining about in Bannerlord are present in Warband as well (mostly AI related).

But after an hour the magic reappeared.
There is far less of a grind. If you know what to do you can get going relatively quickly compared to Bannerlord and if you play intelligently you can even with just some dozen men swing the fate of wars (or at least try to). Also whilst the game had it's problems, at least it was playable. No broken sieges, less ridiculus steam rolling and most importantly of all: a degree of depth and immersion Bannerlord does not posess. Laugh about feasts and the like all you want. But they had their place and were important to worldbuilding.

you can't really compare the two.

warband had many more quests, and a much more involved political system for wars and participating in them, and many mechanics that actually worked.

warband had lots of things 'better'
but bannerlord is much newer and different.

I guess you answer the question unknowningly tho - the difference was warband was moddable and the mods made it great!

WE DONT HAVE THAT WITH BANNERLORD YET!!!!!!!! (and the modders seem very disappointed that it will be hard / confusing to mod given the tools / broken code etc).

Maybe warband was 'worse' but warband was able to be 'better' - bannerlord isnt nearly that yet :ohdear::fruity:

Native Warband is still lightyears ahead of Bannerlord -be it in multiplayer or even singleplayer.

Native mp provides a well-designed and thoroughly satisfying multiplayer experience to this very day -despite being over a decade old!

Vanilla Warband singleplayer is superior to Bannerlord going on just functionality and immersion alone. Sure, Native doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the many mods provide, but it's a more fully-realized experience than the current product which Bannerlord offers.

All those positive Steam reviews for Bannerlord came from either complete newbies experiencing a Mount&Blade title for the first time (good for them) or from blind fanboys unable to be objective in their review of the game. Most veteran Warbanders -after playing 1+ year of the alpha/beta, could see which way the wind was blowing, and either refrained from writing a review (like myself) or gave their honest opinion (a bad to mediocre score).

I'm waiting until full release to give my official review of Bannerlord, be that in the year 2024, 25, or 26. I sincerely hope the final product will be superlative and mind-blowing, but either way I will be as objective and forthcoming as possible when grading it.

All those positive Steam reviews for Bannerlord came from either complete newbies experiencing a Mount&Blade title for the first time (good for them) or from blind fanboys unable to be objective in their review of the game. Most veteran Warbanders -after playing 1+ year of the alpha/beta, could see which way the wind was blowing, and either refrained from writing a review (like myself) or gave their honest opinion (a bad to mediocre score).
Precisely this. As someone who followed development nearly religiously, I remember the Gamecom videos back in 2019 and how they begun putting questions about the truth statements in the dev blogs compared to the gameplay.

In the castle blog posted back in 2018, sieges and castles were described as being:

"The system is quite simple: castles start at level 1 and can be upgraded twice to reach their maximum level. In the example castle below, with each upgrade the castle gets taller, more dominant towers; better positions to deploy defensive machines; deeper walls at critical points for larger troop formations; greater coverage over its gatehouse; and the opportunity to deploy a layered defence."

And then this video surfaced, where at around the 11 minute mark, we see defenders SPAWNING at the gatehouse. Fast forward 2 years and the idea of layered defenses are still nowhere in sight.

Then of course the whole debacle about the class system back during the alpha/beta, where I recall alpha players who were directly in touch with TW were told off about the removal of the class system, more red flags.

I guess we were all too hyped to see past the misinformation.

Back
Top Bottom