Question about death and birth (error: plot armor not found)

Users who are viewing this thread

So I just returned to Bannerlord after an 8-ish month hiatus and I seem to no longer be able to play with Resident Evil Protagonist style plot armor.

In all seriousness, I noticed there is no longer an option to disable hero death at the start of the campaign, instead it is now called differently and as far as I can read from the description, it sounds like something I do not wish to enable as I like having a big family in the game.

Now, I have been playing for a few days and none of my companions seem to survive more than one battle. (if there are any casualties on my side)

I'm not exaggerating here, my settings are 1 below realistic and no matter how hard I try, if I have a battle with ANY casualties in them at all, it just looks like it is either just my companion(s) or they are part of the list.
Also my wife died after only a few battles (the only exception to the above mentioned companion culling)

Am I simply overlooking an option that allows my hero/companions to have the plot armor I so desire or is it now really the following choice:
You either let yourself and your companions die so you can have a chance to have a family in the game
or
You and your companions become immortal and you and everyone else becomes infertile
or
Am I still missing something?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

it is a bug with with the reduced chance of companion death options, the devs said they're working on a fix. they can still die, it been reported a few times.
i can't tell if you found the option or not, but it's thier in campaign options, it's bugged though.
your character can only die of old age or small chance of execution if you are captured by a clan that hates you.

Thanks for the clarification!
The only option I can find is the "Death and birth" one, which seems to not do anything as regards to companions.
Not sure this is the one you refer to but I can't seem to find the "old" option either in Campaign mode or the new Sandbox mode.

It's good to hear it's a bug though.
I don't really mind there being a chance for my companions to die but it was happening so often I was starting to wonder why companions were even in the game still as a regular peasant seemed to have a bigger chance of survival.

I think I'll try just giving them a bow and a looooot of ammo so they avoid melee combat as much as possible for now.

The "Disable death and birth" option is an un-changeable option at the start of a new game, it make nobody able to die(unless you execute them,) and no pregnancies/babies, you get a static world like in warband.

There is a separate option (in the 1.5.10 beta) in the campaign menu that lest you change the likeliness of your clan members deign in battle, realistic is the normal 10% chance if they are defeated by a non-blunt attack, then these is an option for 50% chance reduction,(so 5%) and an option for 100% reduction, however people have reported that thier companions still died with the 100% reduction option on, so be careful!

Alright awesome thank you so much!
That's what I was looking for.
I was playing 1.5.9, I will switch over to the 1.5.10 beta.

I will keep in mind that the 100% reduction option is bugged, at least it will still be very low.
Thanks again!

Here is a Method that let me think that with "Clanmembers", Companions are excluded

"<AddCompanionsAndClanMembersToSettlement>b__0"

But it is just a guess

Where did you see the acknowledgement? I couldn't even find a thread where this bug was reported.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/beta-patch-notes-e1-5-10.442617/page-16
It's I THINK what Duh is talking about when he says they have a pending task for that, but I still need to back and double check earlier in the thread.
Actually I guess he's just talking about changes to death % in general....

@Flesson19 says people report the bug is in sandbox mode and maybe old saves, but not in new campaign games. Flesson19 do you know if the bug was reported and acknowledged yet?

Last edited:
as with basically any problem in this game. chance of 2 possibilities:

-there's a mod for that
or
-nobody cares enough but you

waiting on devs to fix things is for the soonians

none of my companions seem to survive more than one battle."

Assign all companion to Group V in the Party Menu.
At the start of the battle press the following keys:
5, F1, F7.

Congratulations you have just saved all of your companions from every fight you could ever get into.
-FV-

none of my companions seem to survive more than one battle."

Assign all companion to Group V in the Party Menu.
At the start of the battle press the following keys:
5, F1, F7.

Congratulations you have just saved all of your companions from every fight you could ever get into.
-FV-
...Unless its a siege, and/or they're leading companion-parties in your army, in which case they've been placed by the game into random groups, with no way to tell them to retreat without losing a large part of your force at the start of the battle.

there's this mod that lets your companions not die despite "dying in battle" works for lords too. and it has adjustments for different % i think so you can merely reduce the chance of death instead of removing it

Unless its a siege,
in a siege your groups are relatively messed up. but you can spend some time in the deployment phase to figure out which formation your companion is in by physically looking at the troops. might be too tedius. but it works
then, to prevent the automatic suicide runs those ai are programmed to do. all you have to do is changing their formation. say a few troops in formation 1 is running in to die, you select formation one and change it to formation 8 then tell them to move to a certain location. all the auto ai troops will now listen to your command. this is especially easy when you have rts mod and pause the game but i was able to get it to work by memorising the keybind and quickly pressing in succession before i had that mod.

in a siege your groups are relatively messed up. but you can spend some time in the deployment phase to figure out which formation your companion is in by physically looking at the troops. might be too tedius. but it works
It takes about 15 minutes per siege to do that, though, when you have a large army. It's possible, but not reasonable. Early-game, when you siege once in a blue moon, maybe, but not late-game, when sieges are happening constantly.

For example, yesterday I took three different towns in three game-days. That's a short amount of playtime to have had to waste ~45 minutes counting troops and moving them between groups, one at a time. (Which I did, and it's making me hate this game so bad.)

It takes about 15 minutes per siege to do that, though
does it?

i just sieged 5 towns yesterday. my infantry and cavalry formations 1 and 3 are untouched. goes into siege as they are. my skirmisher formation 5 also untouched. the only things is my archers and horse archers 2 and 4 have been split into 2/6 and 4/7. it's not that hard

besides, i never send infantry to the meatgrinder of ladders or towers up the wall anyways.

if you don't want companions dying get that mod that prevents that. or just remove them from your party. why have them?

It literally takes ~15 minutes, if you have a large enough army with many parties. You can end up with about a dozen family/companions (plus allied nobles) scattered at random through eight parties of about 80 men each. Sometimes they're easy to spot; other times, it's like "Where's Waldo?" It depends on your troop composition and what your companions/family are wearing.

Using a mod isn't an option for me, since TW support will not acknowledge my bug reports if I discovered the bugs on a modded version.

Companions are needed in the party. For example, a high-level scout adds ~0.5 movement speed to the party. The party's quartermaster, too, is indispensible. Since focus points are effectively finite, the player-character cannot be all of these things (or else he will be severely handicapped in other important areas).

If it's a siege then everyone's f1-f7ing out any ways because I'd rather just kill the whole town myself then deal with the clunky siege formation stuff.
For me I always just get 2 big blobs, and if I split them up, as soon as I try to move them they end up re-joining into 1 and 2. Plus somebody's always getting shot during this. The only okay thing is to just have almost all ranged, start near the walls and quickly have the hold position in front of the ladders for a shoot out. Even then formation 1 usually is trying to be in some kind of column shape and won't straiten out with line or loose formation.

Siege is a cluster ****

Back
Top Bottom