User Survey for Academic Research

Users who are viewing this thread

merryposa

Recruit
Hey there!

Me and my friend as two METU students (Middle East Technical University, Turkey) are conducting an undergraduate research study on the topic of user behaviour in video game industry. For that sense, we have designed a user survey taking up to 10-15 minutes of your time, which aims to demonstrate your preferences in the sector and attitudes in the community. Since gamer community constitutes of distinctive members with specific skills and perspectives rather than usual consumers, your attendance in the survey is a precious contribution to our research.

We have designed questions in a way that you would enjoy telling about yourself as a gamer. So, if you have had trouble in finding a dedicated audience that wonders your gaming experience, it is the perfect time for you to tell us as much as you want via our survey:

We eagerly wait your participation. Thanks in advance and have a very nice day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Modders build hardware modifications to improve games? My whole life is a lie. :cry:
Well modding behaviour is observed through various ways. There are some cases where console players improved gaming experience by developing new tools. Also, for instance in skateboarding and snowboarding, the majority of new equipment was designed and introduced by users. Amazing! So, we wanted to include hardware modifications in the definition :geek: Thank you for your concern ?

Last edited:
Well modding behaviour is observed through various ways. There are some cases where console players improved gaming experience by developing new tools. Also, for instance in skateboarding and snowboarding, the majority of new equipment was designed and introduced by users. Amazing! So, we wanted to include hardware modifications in the definition :geek: Thank you for your concern ?
Luckily the survey is about skateboarding or maybe even modded guns or cars, and not software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily the survey is about skateboarding or maybe even modded guns or cars, and not software.
As I have mentioned previously, what we call "hardware modification" may and does take place on the side of console gamers who are unarguably video game consumers. I have given examples on other sectors in order to make any necessary clarification about what is meant by "hardware modification". The topic of our survey is obviously user motivation in video game industry, which is also the heading of the survey. So, I can see no reasons for you to be confused about that ?. Besides, since the method we have used in our survey is random sampling out of gamer population, we don't have any info about the participants, whether they are console gamers or not and how they perceive the term "modder". So, a generalized definition of "modder" needs to made for the sake of the study, and "hardware modification" should be definitely included in it. If you have any further concerns about these issues, I can contently share with you relevant articles on the topics of random sampling, survey research and user modification.

When people think of modding, they mean modding games - not hacking their consoles or jailbreaking their phones. Otherwise upgrading or overclocking your PC hardware would be technically modding too and everyone is a modder.
You are just confusing your users with an erroneous idea of what modding is. Maybe you don't know because you haven't played PC games and are unfamiliar with the vast modding scenes that grow around popular games including the Mount and Blade series.
The current game isn't even ported to consoles yet, but there's a lively modding scene. This is your context.

On the purpose of collecting descriptive data from diversely characterized users, we expect to reach gamers of any genre/type of video games, that are available on any platform. With the consideration of console gamers and their experiences, the case of hardware modification, where gaming equipment is subject to improvement, is under the scope of modding for this survey research. I am sorry to hear that this definition may be confusing for PC gamers, but I hope that confused participants would pay this much of attention of yours to clarify missing points. Btw, I very much thank you for all your consideration and time spent on our study. These feedbacks will contribute for well-designed future researches!

Hello, there are some issues with your survey:
  1. One of the questions assumes the educational system is the same everywhere; I couldn't be able to respond to that question.
  2. One of the questions mixes being a student and employment status. These should be two different questions.
  3. I noticed Taiwan is not in the list of countries. There are probably other missing countries.

Last edited:
When people think of modding, they mean modding games - not hacking their consoles or jailbreaking their phones. Otherwise upgrading or overclocking your PC hardware would be technically modding too and everyone is a modder.
You are just confusing your users with an erroneous idea of what modding is. Maybe you don't know because you haven't played PC games and are unfamiliar with the vast modding scenes that grow around popular games including the Mount and Blade series.
The current game isn't even ported to consoles yet, but there's a lively modding scene. This is your context.
I am agreeing with MadVader here.
I am sorry to hear that this definition may be confusing for PC gamers, but I hope that confused participants would pay this much of attention of yours to clarify missing points.
If participants depend for the understanding on the interpretation of others, the survey (or in the case here the affected question/description) is faulty in design.

Hello, there are some issues with your survey:
  1. One of the questions assumes the educational system is the same everywhere; I couldn't be able to respond to that question.
  2. One of the questions mixes being a student and employment status. These should be two different questions.
  3. I noticed Taiwan is not in the list of countries. There are probably other missing countries.
Hey there, sorry for the late reply. I have had some challenges in figuring out how to use the forum :???:
1. I suppose you are referring to the 3rd question. Unfortunately, we do not have info about the formation of each education system in the world. We have tried to put generalized answer choices which could more or less be convertible or at least functionally correspond to some degree in different national systems of education.
2. This must be the 4th question. The range of 18-25 years old people is composed of a mixed population in terms of employment. Some undergraduates work in part-time or full-time jobs both formally and informally, some post-graduates are paid as PhD students for being a researcher in higher education or independent research institutions (labs etc.). As you have drawn attention, we do not have the info about each and every education system around the world and which type student is considered as employee in whichever country or institution, or who self-considers as student or employed since they may be working while being a student. That is why, we left this identification to respondents, by remarking "most explanatory status".
3. The issue you have pointed out is important, thanks a lot. We have had the same concern while preparing the content of answer menu. We have made some research in order to prevent any political mistake, however, could not come up with a conclusive validation. Because, the political status of some countries including Taiwan is controversial depending on the voice. Since we are neither interested in nor qualified for declaring our standing on inter and intra state affairs, while preparing the answer menu we have taken cues from recent surveys conducted by United Nations, hopefully recognized as an independent well-versed institution by the majority.
I hope our way of thinking avoid confusions or disturbing statements. Thanks a lot for your contribution!

I am agreeing with MadVader here.

If participants depend for the understanding on the interpretation of others, the survey (or in the case here the affected question/description) is faulty in design.
Hello! Again I am sorry for the late reply.
As we have been discussing with MadVader, there is no available definition for modding except the common view of gamers. Indeed, common view is a powerful persuasion to rely on, especially for a research that is addressing to the community who builds it. On the other side, since we were aiming to increase the extensity ratio of our research applied on an immense sector full of varieties, we have included hardware modifications in our survey in order to prevent omitted variable bias.
Common view is tacit knowledge and is not something to learn by solely making researches. It requires intensified involvement in and interaction with the community. Your contribution to what is meant by modding together with MadVader's explanations are extremely important for me to develop further ideas about the topic of our research. Thanks a lot for letting me know!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom