Resolved Beta 1.5.10 Can't issue commands once enemy start to flee battle field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
Yes, I used mods.
Thanks Ling, I will check it out.

But honestly I like the concept they were trying to capture but not the execution. Besides the inability to order your units to rundown fleeing enemies being deeply unsatisfactory, the piecemeal mop up operation it forces you to do after just sucks all the fun out of it.

I think if this feature wants to stay either:

1. Defeated leaderless armies should automatically dissolve which I imagine has the risk of creating other problems and imbalances in the game.

OR

2. Your Cavalry and may be even your faster lighter units should auto-chase the fleeing enemy. I mean if you want a design choice to create atmosphere how about some rag-wearing looter or other lower tier unit hungry for wealth and glory chasing down a fleeing knight knocked off his horse to please his lord and make himself rich? ??

That way player's time isn't wasted and ignominy of defeat is reflected in game for the defeated army. Just saying...

But honestly I like the concept they were trying to capture but not the execution. Besides the inability to order your units to rundown fleeing enemies being deeply unsatisfactory, the piecemeal mop up operation it forces you to do after just sucks all the fun out of it.
Yeah, I agree with this. A lot of times I would set my cavalry to mop up, then just order my infantry into some sort of "victory" formation, just killing time until the cavalry was finished. It was fun at first, but did get kinda tedious. Now, I have to do the annoying guesswork to make sure cavalry can mop up, and then either have to run around trying to help mop up, or literally just sit there and wait. Doing something to make the end of battle more fun or shorter or whatever is fine, but just disabling controls is not the way to do it.

No, if you read the thread, the issue was misunderstood and has now been forwarded to the design team.
Design team means it's an intended design and not a bug. If it wasn't intended and a bug then it would go to the QA team.

I am still on 1.5.9 and confused.

What do you guys mean? I am sure that 50% cheering/50% chasing "feature" existed in the game way BEFORE 1.5.10 beta.

Or does your order menu disappear upon enemy retreat?

I am still on 1.5.9 and confused.

What do you guys mean? I am sure that 50% cheering/50% chasing "feature" existed in the game way BEFORE 1.5.10 beta.

Or does your order menu disappear upon enemy retreat?
As been said multiple times in the thread, this had NOTHING to do with the cheering, but is a 1.5.10 bug where the entire orders interface is non-accessible after the enemies start to flee

Yeah this is not working great. I wonder if they have a playtest group that trials new patches before release, as I can't imagine a real player enjoying a feature that removes existing opportunities for player agency.

Yeah this is not working great. I wonder if they have a playtest group that trials new patches before release, as I can't imagine a real player enjoying a feature that removes existing opportunities for player agency.

Yeah the players testing is... you, me and the rest who partake in the beta.... We react to changes, and hopefully they fix things.. that's how it works...

Didn't put my hands on 1.5.10 yet but... This topic is quite entertaining. :razz:
Is this still a thing? Cause if it is, I'm not even bothering installing 1.5.10.

MArdA, you do realize people are talking about orders UI not showing up and NOT what you're talking about (half army cheering - which was the feature even before 1.5.10)? You do realize it promotes F1>F3 tactic, right? Cause if you order your people to chase before enemies start fleeing, they keep chasing. If you don't issue the order in time, half of your units will keep executing last orders they received, while the other half cheers.

Gadheras mentioned another issue, which is rather critical - hunting down brigands. Yesterday I had to hunt 8 groups. I use small groups of enemies like that to train my specific formations which need leveling up. Sometimes they start fleeing when you kill less than half of them. So unless you just ordered your people to chase BEFORE they start fleeing, you're screwed and you have to go catch the remaining enemies on the campaign map. Then you kill one and they start fleeing again. And the process repeats. Do you get it? I'm 99% convinced it's not a design choice.

MArdA, the fact that you're confused about it after so many replies makes me think you're not familiar with the game at all and you're just a middle man between two groups that know the game. You need to know the game to understand the issue and to pass it to game devs.

Didn't put my hands on 1.5.10 yet but... This topic is quite entertaining. :razz:
Is this still a thing? Cause if it is, I'm not even bothering installing 1.5.10.

MArdA, you do realize people are talking about orders UI not showing up and NOT what you're talking about (half army cheering - which was the feature even before 1.5.10)? You do realize it promotes F1>F3 tactic, right? Cause if you order your people to chase before enemies start fleeing, they keep chasing. If you don't issue the order in time, half of your units will keep executing last orders they received, while the other half cheers.

Gadheras mentioned another issue, which is rather critical - hunting down brigands. Yesterday I had to hunt 8 groups. I use small groups of enemies like that to train my specific formations which need leveling up. Sometimes they start fleeing when you kill less than half of them. So unless you just ordered your people to chase BEFORE they start fleeing, you're screwed and you have to go catch the remaining enemies on the campaign map. Then you kill one and they start fleeing again. And the process repeats. Do you get it? I'm 99% convinced it's not a design choice.

MArdA, the fact that you're confused about it after so many replies makes me think you're not familiar with the game at all and you're just a middle man between two groups that know the game. You need to know the game to understand the issue and to pass it to game devs.
Yes it still is an issue, and yeah sadly I have the exact impression you said there, and at this point my best hope is that they accidently fix it when doing something else... which is kinda sad... and is the main reason I am not playing the game ATM either.

Yes it still is an issue, and yeah sadly I have the exact impression you said there, and at this point my best hope is that they accidently fix it when doing something else... which is kinda sad... and is the main reason I am not playing the game ATM either.
Same, I stopped playing because of this (and the lack of an answer of whether this would change or not), and another issue I am having where I cannot recruit any vassals, despite 100 relation, and literally billions of gold (cheated in to test). Didn't even feel like reporting the second issue, because of the lack of resolution, or even confirmation that this is a bug or design choice.

The Sea Raider parties are fleeing at the same rate as looters, I beat parties of 20 + with 5 men. Another bad design decision along with dumb let's remove the command UI so our cheering can take front stage. Nobody cares about cheering when it conflicts with orders. I swear some of this team is comprised of people who never play video games. All this is a giant waste of time, just let the player hit a button to cheer when he wants, so simple it's easy.

@Dejan Can we maybe get some clarification here? Looks like MArdA misunderstood the issue, he seems to me talking about something else (half of the troops cheering), which is in the game at least from 1.5.9, not about Order UI not showing up when enemies are fleeing. To sum up - It's problematic in some quests that require you to kill/capture all the enemies, it also promotes F1>F3 tactic. That's why I and many other think it's actually a bug, not a feature.
Edit: Obviously it also ruins some ruthless roleplaying.

@Dejan Can we maybe get some clarification here? Looks like MArdA misunderstood the issue, he seems to me talking about something else (half of the troops cheering), which is in the game at least from 1.5.9, not about Order UI not showing up when enemies are fleeing. To sum up - It's problematic in some quests that require you to kill/capture all the enemies, it also promotes F1>F3 tactic. That's why I and many other think it's actually a bug, not a feature.
Edit: Obviously it also ruins some ruthless roleplaying.
Duh already replied to this inquiry in the other thread but if anyone is keeping track of this thread, here's his quote:
It will likely see further changes. At least at the last discussion it was deemed not desired as it is.

Back
Top Bottom