When is TWs actually going to add a major feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Had to rewrite the thread, as someone informed me that the end of battle control is a bug and not intended design.

Go look at the top mods for the game for starters, like succession, custom troops, or diplomacy options. I would consider something like feasts a major edition instead of one new helmet, 30 crash fixes, and a few scenes which look great: But THERE'S NOTHING TO DO IN THEM, they could add 1,000 scenes and it would make no difference.

There's very little to do in this game. The town upgrades are boring and bland, castles are not worth owning and there's no reason for the player to enter the thrown room. Completely pointless. They have done nothing to remedy this in over a year...

I invite people to look at any of the top Warband mods on steam. This game has a major lack of content.

Back to the stash menu page:

When you give a player another menu page instead of a chest to store items, it gives the player no connection to his castle or town thrown room. Add up enough little things like this and you have a very bland game. Besides fighting battles there is zero to do. Viking Conquest is much better in this regard? Why is that?

Can someone explain why Viking Conquest is a better game? If Bannerlord had not ben worked on for 8 years I probably would not say much, but God this game frustrates me to no end.

Feasts a major feature while rebellions not? Sure, we need more content but I am failing to see how feats could make the game funnier than rebellions.

TW seems to be more interested in making the simulation aspect of Bannerlord successful rather than making it a rewarding gaming experience for the players.

In Bannerlord, AI agents are considered on the same level as the player. Time and time again TW devs have declined feature suggestions because of the impact it would have on the AI agents. Everything the player can do, the agents must be able to do as well. Or from a different perspective, the player is limited by what can be coded for the AI agents. If this does not raise all sorts of warnings that Bannerlord is a game in name only, I don't know what to tell you. A game is ALL about the players. Everything exists to create a cool experience for the players.

A good example is the new 1.5.10 "feature" of adding stances to your clan's parties. What had been asked for a very long time is to allow the player to have control over what our clan parties can do. TW response is to just allow the player to slightly influence the AI agents priorities. Allowing the player to tell its clan parties to siege castle A while we ourselves siege castle B, effectively splitting the ability of the defenders to protect themselves, would have been super easy to do code-wise (I know this for a fact, by the way) and it would have added a great vehicle of agency and tactical value for the player. Did TW do that? No, because this level of sophisticated coordination is not something that the AI agents would also be able to do.

Another good example that really shows TW philosophy is the Skill Perks. The thing is riddled with completely useless perk effects for the Player! In a freaking single-player game!!

Third example and then I'll shut up. The economy. For those that have been here since the beginning of EA, work into Bannerlord's economy consumed the first several months of development. But why waste all that effort on it though? It is a simulation that is almost completely opaque to the player. Worse, the player can barely influence it because, if options to do so existed, they would also have to be available to the AI agents, and balancing that would be a nightmare, never mind that it would make the game a better game and its economy vastly more interesting for the player.

Bannerlord is mostly a great demo of how Agent-oriented Programming can create really sophisticated (from a software perspective) simulations where you have mostly independent software agents interacting with each other to work towards a common goal. It is objectively a bad computer game. Does that mean you can't have fun with it? Absolutely not, I have had at least 20+ hours of true fun with it. The problem is I have "played" 100+ hours of it trying to have fun and I would really like to have those hours back.

Edit: The strong and negative sentiment in my words is not directed at you @SOku , apologies if it reads that way.
+1. I think you are hitting the nail on the head. We were all fooled. Armagan took our money and our time. I would support any lawsuit against him.

Hopefully we'll get the battle map system in 1.6, I have a feeling there might be more stuff coming. Other than that I feel as though it'll be DLC where we get really major stuff.
Can't see it as a major feature, it's still just battle scenes. Adds some nice immersion to what we already have but really nothing more than that.

Id say rebellions are a feature, major though I dont know. Problem with Bannerlord is a lot of things need reworking or are in the process of it, and I am fearing that what we have is what we get, for the most part. For example skills (1 year and not all implemented, or saying they are when theyre not), economy, pricing (still not fixed), smithing (I love it, but its so nonsensical at times, and without cheating I wouldnt bother with it).

Feasts a major feature while rebellions not? Sure, we need more content but I am failing to see how feats could make the game funnier than rebellions.
Because there's nothing to do in this game besides fight battles. And there are mods that are better than this already such as free lancer which adds an entire different style of play to the game.

TW seems to be more interested in making the simulation aspect of Bannerlord successful rather than making it a rewarding gaming experience for the players.

In Bannerlord, AI agents are considered on the same level as the player. Time and time again TW devs have declined feature suggestions because of the impact it would have on the AI agents. Everything the player can do, the agents must be able to do as well. Or from a different perspective, the player is limited by what can be coded for the AI agents. If this does not raise all sorts of warnings that Bannerlord is a game in name only, I don't know what to tell you. A game is ALL about the players. Everything exists to create a cool experience for the players.

A good example is the new 1.5.10 "feature" of adding stances to your clan's parties. What had been asked for a very long time is to allow the player to have control over what our clan parties can do. TW response is to just allow the player to slightly influence the AI agents priorities. Allowing the player to tell its clan parties to siege castle A while we ourselves siege castle B, effectively splitting the ability of the defenders to protect themselves, would have been super easy to do code-wise (I know this for a fact, by the way) and it would have added a great vehicle of agency and tactical value for the player. Did TW do that? No, because this level of sophisticated coordination is not something that the AI agents would also be able to do.

Another good example that really shows TW philosophy is the Skill Perks. The thing is riddled with completely useless perk effects for the Player! In a freaking single-player game!!

Third example and then I'll shut up. The economy. For those that have been here since the beginning of EA, work into Bannerlord's economy consumed the first several months of development. But why waste all that effort on it though? It is a simulation that is almost completely opaque to the player. Worse, the player can barely influence it because, if options to do so existed, they would also have to be available to the AI agents, and balancing that would be a nightmare, never mind that it would make the game a better game and its economy vastly more interesting for the player.

Bannerlord is mostly a great demo of how Agent-oriented Programming can create really sophisticated (from a software perspective) simulations where you have mostly independent software agents interacting with each other to work towards a common goal. It is objectively a bad computer game. Does that mean you can't have fun with it? Absolutely not, I have had at least 20+ hours of true fun with it. The problem is I have "played" 100+ hours of it trying to have fun and I would really like to have those hours back.

Edit: The strong and negative sentiment in my words is not directed at you @SOku , apologies if it reads that way.
Good point of view. In other words, the game looks like a master thesis project in computer engineering.

It is also playable as a side benefit.

Because there's nothing to do in this game besides fight battles. And there are mods that are better than this already such as free lancer which adds an entire different style of play to the game.

I still can't believe they haven't added a single interesting thing to the game. Its kinda nuts how they think this is okay. Nothing in this game is rewarding or even remotely interesting. I am more amazed by their incompetence and lack of imagination than anything this **** awful game has to offer.

The game is not solid.

I don't think we're getting a major new feature. I think we get fixes and small addition to already existing stuff. There might be some surprises still, but I doubt it will be big new features. TBH most of what I want is just small stuff anyways. Total conversion mods will due for wanting a big new experience someday.

Agree 100%, the vast amount of programming has been spent trying to balance a robust economic simulator. The problem is, the player has no connectivity to this depth. I actually think this game might be better served (at least the campaign side of it) to be a Medieval economy sim game rather than a 1st person RPG. It's a very odd game with ideas that do not compliment each other well at all. The Smithy is a whole other can of worms, feels like it does not belong in the game.

I don't think we're getting a major new feature. I think we get fixes and small addition to already existing stuff. There might be some surprises still, but I doubt it will be big new features. TBH most of what I want is just small stuff anyways. Total conversion mods will due for wanting a big new experience someday.
Agree 100%, the vast amount of programming has been spent trying to balance a robust economic simulator. The problem is, the player has no connectivity to this depth. I actually think this game might be better served (at least the campaign side of it) to be a Medieval economy sim game rather than a 1st person RPG. It's a very odd game with ideas that do not compliment each other well at all. The Smithy is a whole other can of worms, feels like it does not belong in the game.

Right! None of the mechanics are layered. Its just one shallow mechanic after another. There is no payoff for anything the player does, no sense of accomplishment. Its a remarkable achievement in complete and total failure.

I am beginning to think that the reason TW can't add any other robust feature code to this game is the economy is a complex mess and is held together by a hair.

What this paradigm has something to do with actual game design ? Enlight my lense because I'm not sure I got it.
I'm not giving TW another cent. I'm reserving my Bannerlord cash to support modders that actually care about game design. TW tricked gamers into basically funding Armagan's academic desire to keep exploring Agent-oriented Programming. If you look at Bannerlord through these lenses it starts making sense why they want everything in the game to be automated and reduce player agency even though this, well you know, is a single-player game.
Wait, are you saying that at the core of Bannerlord is a Multi-Agent System? Like, there are actual Intelligent Agents in Bannerlord? I thought all AI in this game is scripted or something. Where did you see the code for that?

It is objectively a bad computer game. Does that mean you can't have fun with it? Absolutely not, I have had at least 20+ hours of true fun with it. The problem is I have "played" 100+ hours of it trying to have fun and I would really like to have those hours back.
you are correct. i have spent more time TRYING to have fun, than actually HAVING fun.

The game actually frustrates more than it rewards! its really something to behold.

That is the single most unique takeaway and impression of bannerlord - frustrating!

(And wasted potential..)

Wait, are you saying that at the core of Bannerlord is a Multi-Agent System? Like, there are actual Intelligent Agents in Bannerlord? I thought all AI in this game is scripted or something. Where did you see the code for that?
Agents in the sense of Agent-oriented Programming are not what you would consider AI. It is a non-deterministic system but it is not powered by Machine Learning.

you are correct. i have spent more time TRYING to have fun, than actually HAVING fun.

The game actually frustrates more than it rewards! its really something to behold.

That is the single most unique takeaway and impression of bannerlord - frustrating!

(And wasted potential..)
This has been my experience, I am telling myself to come on and have fun and often I don't, not even with 30 mods.

@stevehoos
So it has been over a year in EA since TW began their tinkering with this game, which has mainly consisted of fixes for bugs introduced and various minor adjustments. What workshops are more profitable this go round lol? Seriously, there are dozens of mods with better content than this team has managed to put out in over a year. Want to stash items in your castle? Here's another menu page; some of the laziest ham fisted crap I have ever seen in gaming.
I bet if you keep complaining that'll speed things up!

Seriously though, you whine all over these forums like a child. How many times has "real features when?" been asked across these forums over the last year? It's like an actual, unironic circlejerk around here about "something something unplayable something something no features something something skeleton game". We all feel it. We all want depth and features. But clogging the forums up with this drivel doesn't help anyone or anything.

@stevehoos

I bet if you keep complaining that'll speed things up!

Seriously though, you whine all over these forums like a child. How many times has "real features when?" been asked across these forums over the last year? It's like an actual, unironic circlejerk around here about "something something unplayable something something no features something something skeleton game". We all feel it. We all want depth and features. But clogging the forums up with this drivel doesn't help anyone or anything.
I will post whatever I want, not interested in your feedback thanks.

Back
Top Bottom