corona? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't think it's a good idea to force them to give up their patents, it could discourage future investment in developing such vaccines.
It's an emergency and they can take it, they made enough money and are using the expertise to develop more profitable drugs, not vaccines.
But most of all, it is an emergency and capitalism needs to be suspended somewhat until the crisis is over.

Yes, I could care less what investors think or want. It should be released in this instance. It's about time something changed the power and influence they hold. Things like cost can't even be disregarded by these people during a global pandemic. It's astonishing how much money can mean to rich people.

And even though there is nothing we can do to reverse the damage we have done to the planet (the Dead Sea for example) and the best we can do is delay it a little longer, I don't see humanity going very far. No matter how we slice the cake...we are screwed. COVID-19 really made that obvious.

It's an emergency and they can take it, they made enough money and are using the expertise to develop more profitable drugs, not vaccines.
But most of all, it is an emergency and capitalism needs to be suspended somewhat until the crisis is over.
So what is your plan for the next time something like this happens, and nobody has stumped up the money to make a vaccine because they don't expect to make money from it?

Patent protection in medicine is a complicated issue. But whenever it's done it generally works well.
Pharmaceutical companies are some of the most profitable - and most corrupt - businesses. They'll manage, and always make money.
In fact they often "cheat" to avoid losing a patent. E.g. when a patent is running out, they'll make a slight change to the formula and regain the patent for another 10 years or so.

Last edited:
So what is your plan for the next time something like this happens, and nobody has stumped up the money to make a vaccine because they don't expect to make money from it?

That is extremely pessimistic and implies that nothing will be done between now and then to make sure it doesn't happen. Even in the UK, one of the countries that initially dealt with the crisis the worst, the normal rules of the profit motive were suspended indefinitely which almost led to an investor market crash. It recovered pretty quickly though, because investor markets are just glorified dogecoin.

But they will, because they'll get huge public funding upfront, just like this time! And guaranteed sales too.
Being the first to market is a huge advantage in a pandemics.

More edits: according to a pharma analyst, vaccines are not where the big bucks are. The pharma companies are doing it for the tech and the goodwill/brand recognition. The big money is in the pills you are supposed to take every day and that's what the past cases of doctor bribery were about as well.

Last edited:
Or compensation afterwards like a tax break or whatever if the funds are not there maybe.

You are equating not being able to patent to not being able to make any money from it, which I believe is false. A lot of big companies are already making outrageous amounts of money. Of course there's no limit to how much they want to make but I really doubt they would quit working in the field over something like that.

&

Now, Turkey stops using (high dose?) hyrox...uine as drug at patients.

Some were sayin its not effective, and some were sayin its risky for heart issues.

I put it to show that it was in use(till now, even there is a low? efficency & Side effect possibilities).

The news that tell it removed from treatment are turkish so i didnt share. Here an example:

Extra Links:

I'm baffled that Turkey has kept up using hydrochloroquine for so long.
It must be a political decision (perhaps to avoid criticism for initially buying a huge amount of it, and generally doing a really poor job at containing the epidemic).

I must say I'm generally sceptical of Turkish news reporting on "miracle cures".
There are a lot of those stories floating about (not just from Turkey). I would sit back and wait and see if it actually amounts to anything.

Fun little study from the UK: At the start of the pandemic researchers asked experts and laypersons to predict what things would look like at the end of the year (2020) - how many infected/dead, domestically and globally.
Turns out experts were much more accurate than laypersons, but also in some areas far off.

I don't think it's fair to blame experts for not being more accurate when it comes to a whole new disease with a spread very much dependant on political actions. It does show that experts can be useful and it's not all guesswork.

I also thought of that, and it's interesting that it wasn't the case here.
It might show that when it comes to very specific predictions in epidemiology, experts have the upper hand.
More open, general questions might have shown different results.

(Early in the pandemic experts had followed the new disease closely and knew how to model it based on other respiratory viral infections. A layperson had very little knowledge in that area. 'Wisdom of the crowd' is perhaps better suited for general knowledge, where predictions are notoriously difficult, like politics or economy.)

It depends on the prediction I would say, but also on the "crowd". For that to work you need to have a variety of people included, so that all the biases of individuals cancel each other. I think it's interesting that that's even a thing to be honest, makes one think about the potential of democracy and the fact that we are probably not channeling its full potential.

Back
Top Bottom