1.5.10 Update and Mods

Users who are viewing this thread

PristoMiky

Recruit
Not home yet, but I'm wondering what mods people are seeing that work with the new update? What mods are broken?
I'm expecting Calradia Expanded is toast at the moment, and I think I'll be spending the evening getting the game working again with the mods I want (or can make work). :smile:

Most of them, better, almost all, even some good ones still in 1.5.8, but looks like this patch cause no problems, so maybe the modders move to it.

Most of them, better, almost all, even some good ones still in 1.5.8, but looks like this patch cause no problems, so maybe the modders move to it.

Like what in the actual hell are you trying to say. That is for real the jankiest comment I have read in a long time. I don't believe even you can read it back to yourself and have any idea what meaning it is attempting to express.

As for the topic, this patch seems to have broken just about EVERY mod I use. It's even caused problems for mods that are not dependent on Harmony and Butterlib. I feel for the modders. Countless hours down the drain all for an update that barely contributes any further re-playability or entertainment value. The helmet is cool i guess but just that and two useless pairs of Sturgian boots NO ONE will use past the first 30 minutes of a campaign?

As much as I am into this game and want it to succeed, I truly cannot fathom why a guy who is likely a novice coder/programmer, in his free time, can make a mod that objectively improves the QoL of the gameplay experience by simply adding the ability to Sort Troops, Upgrade All Troops (except ones that have multiple upgrade options), and Recruit All Prisoners... and TaleWorlds cannot manage to actually incorporate these functions into the base game month after month after month. And on top of that, that hero of a modder has to rebuild his mod after every patch and these patches do not include ANYTHING that is ANYWHERE NEAR as useful as what the novice, unpaid modder created.

I mean I truly cannot come up with a justification why this is the case. And this is just ONE minor example. I have zero game development experience and very limited programming experience so I do my best to grant them benefit of the doubt or assume there is a reason this is the case I am unaware of... However at this point there are several examples where I find it inexcusable TaleWorlds cannot implement these things.

I am truly curious what a day at the TaleWorlds office is like. And let me finish by pointing out I HOPE I am mistaken, ignorant, wrong and there is a completely valid reason for the state of the development of this game. I cannot wait for the day my concerns are put to rest or some transparency and communication is received from TaleWorlds!

The only way for you to know is to check the mods and see if they were updated. It will probably be that 1.5.9 mods could work on 1.5.10, but that's about all anyone can tell you. Test them or look them up, whichever mods you want of course.

Like what in the actual hell are you trying to say. That is for real the jankiest comment I have read in a long time. I don't believe even you can read it back to yourself and have any idea what meaning it is attempting to express.

Damn. It took another read to be sure, but it's perfectly understandable. It's just...uh...quirky.

As much as I am into this game and want it to succeed, I truly cannot fathom why a guy who is likely a novice coder/programmer, in his free time, can make a mod that objectively improves the QoL of the gameplay experience by simply adding the ability to Sort Troops, Upgrade All Troops (except ones that have multiple upgrade options), and Recruit All Prisoners... and TaleWorlds cannot manage to actually incorporate these functions into the base game month after month after month. And on top of that, that hero of a modder has to rebuild his mod after every patch and these patches do not include ANYTHING that is ANYWHERE NEAR as useful as what the novice, unpaid modder created.

Perhaps the bolded parts are related? Maybe when you build a feature in the real game, you have to do so in a way that is coordinated with other code (meaning time spent not actually on the feature itself)? Or maybe you just have to commit to fixing it again and again and again and again, for every single patch going forward, so they are reluctant for anything but major features or extremely easy (or durable) fixes?

There was a post from, I believe, emrozdemir, explaining that sorting troops isn't quite as easy yet, because of the way units spawned into battle behave. It just goes down your list from top to bottom, and if they were sorting by Tier you might be going into battle with a bunch of peasants instead of your elite troops.

Just for reference

Some of the features in that mod have already implemented internally. Like
- if the current party is under the size limit, first "transfer all" click transfers troops until the party limit, after that(general rule is, "is the right party on/or over the limit") second click transfers the rest,(This will also apply to the inventory)
- A new way to upgrade/recruit members that will reduce the required number of clicks(more than half compared to current version),
- And other improvements that are not in this mod.

These will be live in the upcoming patches.

For sorting, I'm aware the lack of sorting is felt while playing the game but until we improve the "selecting which troops will spawn in the battle size limit" process, we're probably not going to implement sorting in the party screen. Because the order of troops that are selected in the party screen determines the spawn order in the battle. That means if the player sorted ascending(low to high) by tier in the party screen, their lowest tier troops will spawn first and they will probably lose all those troops. I hope I explained what I mean with this.

So some of the changes you want are coming at some point. The last paragraph is also the reason some times things take more time for a developer than a modder. The latter has less things to worry about.

For sorting, I'm aware the lack of sorting is felt while playing the game but until we improve the "selecting which troops will spawn in the battle size limit" process, we're probably not going to implement sorting in the party screen. Because the order of troops that are selected in the party screen determines the spawn order in the battle. That means if the player sorted ascending(low to high) by tier in the party screen, their lowest tier troops will spawn first and they will probably lose all those troops. I hope I explained what I mean with this.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but how would this be a bad thing?

If troops can be sorted low to high, couldn't they then also be sorted high to low? Also, sorting troops low to high can be extremely beneficial, such as fighting looter parties, you want your recruits to gain experience this way as opposed to having your elite max troops pad their stats :grin:.

I think the point emrozdemir is trying to make is that such a simple thing can have far reaching problems. From a developer's point of view, you want to fix something "forever" and not just-for-now. So, he needs to find a solution that works for everyone and works good; in this case, a simple sort is not the best solution (in regards to troop selectment), just the easiest.

That's my take at least.

It strikes me that if effecting a change or feature that improves the experience for players will more than often create larger problems, then the issue is with the engine. Although because of my lack of experience in development I guess this could just be an inherent problem from developers across the board. If that is the case, then it is a good reason to cut them some slack and just share the frustration with them.
I guess it is also the major reason the developers allow mods. They are in fact ESSENTIAL if this is the case.

I truly cannot fathom why a guy who is likely a novice coder/programmer, in his free time, can make a mod that objectively improves the QoL of the gameplay experience
Because the modder can just do whatever they want, they don't need permissions and they don't need to worry about compatibility and they don't have a boss saying hhhmmmm no IT NEEDS MORE SHEEP TEXTURES!

It is frustrating when you want just 1 little change and you know TW agrees (or did at some point) and every update it "why didn't they just do it?".

Because the modder can just do whatever they want, they don't need permissions and they don't need to worry about compatibility and they don't have a boss saying hhhmmmm no IT NEEDS MORE SHEEP TEXTURES!

It is frustrating when you want just 1 little change and you know TW agrees (or did at some point) and every update it "why didn't they just do it?".

I believe for your own mental sanity guys and girls, for once to determine that the people who design and craft art, scenes, SHEEP textures like you stated are not the same as the people who develop that kind of things we all want stated above.
Those artists have to work somehow, regardless on other priorities than we as a players pointed many times on various plateforms, hence the vast amount of scenes we got on the latest beta patch.
If a Sheep texture is ready to ship ( no pun intended) then I believe they ship it, it's fair to assume that doesn't have any impact on those actively working / programming on the game on it's core, we often have a glimpse of that from the devs themselves like " It's not my area ".
That's quite surprising to see you @AnandaShanti complaining about this, while I believe you're very active on that forum.

However on Gaming communities as a whole, people for the lack of understanding how a game dev company & team typically work often take the troll route like : " Why do they make those silly and useless textures / art design / new armor when the game needs Diplomacy overhaul, me refund my game, me angry "

Sadly, that's not how it works in general, since I'm not on TW office to see how their meeting and workflow looks like, take it as a rule of thumb backed by my software and web developement experience rather than " I'm right you're wrong " statement.

It strikes me that if effecting a change or feature that improves the experience for players will more than often create larger problems, then the issue is with the engine. Although because of my lack of experience in development I guess this could just be an inherent problem from developers across the board. If that is the case, then it is a good reason to cut them some slack and just share the frustration with them.
I guess it is also the major reason the developers allow mods. They are in fact ESSENTIAL if this is the case.

In all fairness, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my suggestions about UX/UI and effectively QoL have been shipped quite fast. I don't know if it was planned before I made the thread, I honestly think so since I made the following post a couple of days before the latest Beta ship from TW ( 1.5.10 ).

I found that the UI section and of course the UI Guys, I believe @emrozdemir is one of them are quite active and responsive. So kudos to them !

Last edited:
If a Sheep texture is ready to ship ( no pun intended) then I believe they ship it, it's fair to assume that doesn't have any impact on those actively working / programming on the game on it's core, we often have a glimpse of that from the devs themselves like " It's not my area ".
That's quite surprising to see you @AnandaShanti complaining about this, while I believe you're very active on that forum.
I pretty sure the sheep texture guy also programs the combat AI.

I highly recommend switching to 1.5.9. Atm working with 49 mods, crashing maybe once per 5 hours. Without mods its still kinda empty and for me unplayable

From my favorite mods:

I haven't been able to get BetterTime to work on 1.5.10 yet and I think BannerEditor has been broken since 1.5.9.

I've heard good things about Freelancer and I like the concept but, although it seems to work with 1.5.10, I didn't like that I was just endlessly running around with my commander (Derthert) chasing down bandits with no promotions. As far as I could tell, I was locked into the army until hitting a certain level which was going to take a long ass time. The problem with that, of course, is that will screw up your main quest. I might try it again in sandbox.

I also really like the idea of Distinguished Service which also seems to run with 1.5.10 but I didn't get far enough into the game to really try it out.

Try the mod out "Party Screen Enhancements" it works.

The original design of the party panel is still very lacking for planing tactics, with so many units and tiers, it becomes frustrating to move units up and down all the time, in order to get the right troops and tactics for the battle ahead.

Back
Top Bottom