Can I see textures I edited in OpenBRF?

Users who are viewing this thread

I understand that I can't see .dds textures I edited in GIMP do to the way the program compresses them. Is there a way to get around this? It really gets annoying to open the game every time I edit a texture to see something I edited.

Thanks for any info,

Bayard

I don't think you understood the question. I have gimp and dds plugin, i'm asking if anyone knows how to see textures you have edited in a program called "open.brf" for see 3D meshes in mount and blade.

I don't think you understood the question. I have gimp and dds plugin, i'm asking if anyone knows how to see textures you have edited in a program called "open.brf" for see 3D meshes in mount and blade.

Alright. I found the program, my bad. According to some of these posts I've found, it could mean you either are not applying the texture correctly within the program or the file doesn't contain it. How are you applying the texture? Instead of using the name of the brf file itself, try to use the name of the material instead. Let me get you some threads, possibly they can help.

EDIT

Does this help?

Last edited:
EDIT

Alright. I found the program, my bad. According to some of these posts I've found, it could mean you either are not applying the texture correctly within the program or the file doesn't contain it. How are you applying the texture? Instead of using the name of the brf file itself, try to use the name of the material instead. Let me get you some threads, possibly they can help.
The textures are there, and they work in game. I heard that the way the gimp compresses .dds files makes an error in openBRF so you can not see the edited texture in openBRF, but they work in game. I was wondering if there was a patch to get around this.

Bayard

The textures are there, and they work in game. I heard that the way the gimp compresses .dds files makes an error in openBRF so you can not see the edited texture in openBRF, but they work in game. I was wondering if there was a patch to get around this.

Bayard

In that case, you* needs to save your .dds files with the right compression. I believe that would be DXT5 or DX1.

(* lol grammar, I'm super tired right now)

What is "DXT5" or "DX1" ????

They are compression methods. Hold on, I will edit with some pictures on what to do within GIMP.

EDIT

Alright. When you save your .dds file in GIMP, make sure you do EXPORT AS and then when you click EXPORT, you will see this window:

ydZhXGK.png

Click the drop box next to COMPRESSION. You see all of the options? Try to select DXT5 or DXT1, and hit "EXPORT". You may need to select formats too, but I do not think that is entirely necessary (but if it is, it will probably be 5:6:5 RGB). It has been a while since I've messed with the .dds files for Warband (I did texture editing and custom flag stuff). However, I can test it out further if you need more help.

Last edited:
They are compression methods. Hold on, I will edit with some pictures on what to do within GIMP.

EDIT

Alright. When you save your .dds file in GIMP, make sure you do EXPORT AS and then when you click EXPORT, you will see this window:

ydZhXGK.png

Click the drop box next to COMPRESSION. You see all of the options? Try to select DXT5 or DXT1, and hit "EXPORT". You may need to select formats too, but I do not think that is entirely necessary (but if it is, it will probably be 5:6:5 RGB). It has been a while since I've messed with the .dds files for Warband (I did texture editing and custom flag stuff). However, I can test it out further if you need more help.
Cool, i will try tomorrow

Thanks m8

GIMP's DDS plugin sometimes malfunctions and generates errors. It also cannot open many DDS textures coming from downloaded packages and is rather bad when it comes to said file extension. I recommend that you use paint.net for DDS format which is perfect for the purpose. The most recent version, 4.2.16, has DDS plugin already shipped with it. The program therefore can read and modify DDS files and even generate thumbnails of DDS files in File Explorer (it saves a lot of time when browsing through textures downloaded in a package). You will have to be switching between GIMP and paint.net a lot in order to achieve best results; versatility is what matters.

Back
Top Bottom