Is it just me, or is fertility broken in this game?

Users who are viewing this thread

I married a female character at 19. She's now 21. The game only produced one child. I actually let the game run for 30 minutes while camping at my castle with my wife and she's still not well... producing. Is this just me or is this game seriously decided to break this feature?

The pregnancy chance shrinks with age and also quadratically with number of children. You won't get infinite children just by waiting. Looking at the formula your current situation reduces the chance of pregnancy by about 80% compared to when you married the char.

The pregnancy chance shrinks with age and also quadratically with number of children. You won't get infinite children just by waiting. Looking at the formula your current situation reduces the chance of pregnancy by about 80% compared to when you married the char.
Do you have the fomula?

Here your Method

private float GetChanceOfChild(Hero mother, int yearsAgo)
{
int count = mother.Children.Count;
float num = 48f;
float num2 = mother.CharacterObject.Age - (float)yearsAgo;
foreach (Hero hero in mother.Children)
{
if (hero.CharacterObject.Age - (float)yearsAgo < num)
{
num = hero.CharacterObject.Age - (float)yearsAgo;
}
}
float result = 0f;
if (num > 2f && num2 > 18f)
{
result = (num + 2f) * (42f - num2) / (float)(count + 1) / 100f;
}
return result;
}

I was looking at this:
C#:
public override float GetDailyChanceOfPregnancyForHero(Hero hero)
        {
            float result = 0f;
            if (hero.Spouse != null && this.IsHeroAgeSuitableForPregnancy(hero))
            {
                result = (1.2f - (hero.Age - 18f) * 0.04f) / (float)Math.Pow((double)(hero.Children.Count + 1), 2.0) * 0.2f;
            }
            return result;
        }

If it is greater than a random number you get lucky. The game checks every day when you and your spouse are in the same settlement.

RNG gives a wide range of results, which can easily make it appear broken. In the last few versions, they've fixed a number of bugs regarding pregnancy, but some may remain. It's impossible to tell via testing, as long as there's no indication (even in debug mode) that a failed pregnancy roll has occurred. But I think it's working properly, because in my latest-version tests, I get an average somewhere around what the dev said it should be under given conditions.

I was looking at this:
C#:
public override float GetDailyChanceOfPregnancyForHero(Hero hero)
        {
            float result = 0f;
            if (hero.Spouse != null && this.IsHeroAgeSuitableForPregnancy(hero))
            {
                result = (1.2f - (hero.Age - 18f) * 0.04f) / (float)Math.Pow((double)(hero.Children.Count + 1), 2.0) * 0.2f;
            }
            return result;
        }

If it is greater than a random number you get lucky. The game checks every day when you and your spouse are in the same settlement.
Yeah right^^
Seems I was too fast by rushing through the code ;P

RNG gives a wide range of results, which can easily make it appear broken. In the last few versions, they've fixed a number of bugs regarding pregnancy, but some may remain. It's impossible to tell via testing, as long as there's no indication (even in debug mode) that a failed pregnancy roll has occurred. But I think it's working properly, because in my latest-version tests, I get an average somewhere around what the dev said it should be under given conditions.
Honestly, I think that is where a lot of confusion and frustration with the game comes from, I think. A few examples are pregnancies, workshop income, diplomacy and fief decisions, perks, combat behavior... a lot of stuff happens under the hood but you can never tell while playing the game.

Honestly, I think that is where a lot of confusion and frustration with the game comes from, I think. A few examples are pregnancies, workshop income, diplomacy and fief decisions, perks, combat behavior... a lot of stuff happens under the hood but you can never tell while playing the game.
Right. I'm starting to see why it's designed this way. You don't want the next generation populated with so many lords that the game balance breaks. In other words, they don't want you just to breed your opposition out of existence. :???: While we are looking at the age of time when it wasn't unusual for women to have anywhere from 10 to 15 pregnancies, the game also doesn't appear to have a mechanic for early childhood deaths that were also common and kept population unfortunately low.

It's just very frustrating when you don't know exactly how you're supposed to start the "process." For example, the game will stop all pregnancy chance if she's given birth less than a year ago or something. Something simple where you can say, "Okay, the best chance of your spouse getting pregnant is..." So you end up waiting with your spouse for crazy amounts of time because that's how the previous version worked. If they had set rules that the player could understand, that would be helpful, especially if people are testing mods where they tweeked a few of the basic mechanics.

And I agree, that's a problem in a lot of other areas. How do you predict the success of a workshop? You don't! In well designed games, you're looking at factors like How often is a city invaded, which region it's located in, and your player's own stats as factors. This allows players to design strategies like, If you put a workshop in a city on the border where it's likely going to be targeted for attack, you will earn large, but inconsistent gains. One day you'll earn +1000 deners, but for the next 30 days while the war rages on, you'll earn < 40 deners. Meanwhile in cities that are in the middle of a territory and less prone to attack, you earn 200 deners per day, but it's consistent. Or some products becoming more in demand if there's an active war and others when there's considerable peace. This puts players at position where they're making calculated decisions based on the game mechanics.

Especially since wars actually make sense in this game. In Warband enemies just waltz right into the middle of your territory, burn your villages and sack your castle. You can barely hang onto anything. In this one, they mostly attack what's right on the border, they will venture into the middle of territories, but usually not a good idea without an army. And it would be nice if economies took advantage of these improvements.

Last edited:
Do you have the fomula?
This thread has relevant formulas for pregnancy. It's not in the video I made because I can't remember how to explain it :razz:

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...h-every-additional-child-how-much-tho.432081/

My other baby related stuff is in a short video though.

It's just very frustrating when you don't know exactly how you're supposed to start the "process."
Yeah I think they need to add an immersive tutorial where you spouse will suggest the actions you need to take to make preggers once you married, and this dialogue should be available when you speak to them. It would be cool to add a 'fast' way to do it too, like a special consumable item you could buy that made fertility 100%, have it be expensive and rare, but exist for when a player just doesn't want to wait and wait or re-load over and over. I'd also like an adoption ability too.

This thread has relevant formulas for pregnancy. It's not in the video I made because I can't remember how to explain it :razz:

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...h-every-additional-child-how-much-tho.432081/

My other baby related stuff is in a short video though.

Yeah I think they need to add an immersive tutorial where you spouse will suggest the actions you need to take to make preggers once you married, and this dialogue should be available when you speak to them. It would be cool to add a 'fast' way to do it too, like a special consumable item you could buy that made fertility 100%, have it be expensive and rare, but exist for when a player just doesn't want to wait and wait or re-load over and over. I'd also like an adoption ability too.

Okay, I could not stop laughing at your tutorial. I think that Taleworlds needs to make that the official "How to make babies" tutorial.

With constant war the game ends before children grow up. In my current campaign my sister Alda is only fourteen and the campaign will end long before she will comes of age. War declarations come one after the other and there is no time to do anything else. Children seem pretty irrelevant when the campaign ends when they are still young.

I missed the feature that your wife could get pregnant away in a different army.
It certainly adds a bit more of life to the game.
:grin:

I missed the feature that your wife could get pregnant away in a different army.
It certainly adds a bit more of life to the game.
:grin:
Honey, why is our baby born with white hair?

Meanwhile from the other side of the room:
w60q4w04w5741.jpg

I started a sandbox game (age 40). when i was 41 i got married with a 25 year old girl. we have now been together for 4 years and no baby.
Is it taking so long because i am a little old? Should i stay in a city for a little time? We both have been in the same army all the time.
thanks for help ^^

I started a sandbox game (age 40). when i was 41 i got married with a 25 year old girl. we have now been together for 4 years and no baby.
Is it taking so long because i am a little old? Should i stay in a city for a little time? We both have been in the same army all the time.
thanks for help ^^
You have to wait in a fief. Males age doesn't matter. Watch video posted in this thread already.

Back
Top Bottom