An Open Letter to TaleWorlds from the Kingdoms of Arda team, and the Total-Conversion Mod Community about our concerns and frustrations with Bannerlor

Users who are viewing this thread

I just want to bump this thread because I just got back after nearly a year since this game first disappointed me and... I'm somehow even more disappointed.

Not only has practically none of the stuff I care about been addressed by the devs, most of the mods that made this game playable have been abandoned by their original modders and only some of those have had volunteers come up to take their place updating the lapsed mods.

The fact alone that the Community Patch, in particular is dead in the water bodes extremely ill for MB2's future.

This whole game feels like a sinking ship and the devs have basically communicated that they DGAF what fans think about anything they've done. This whole EA cycle has been a miserable failure.

I just want to bump this thread because I just got back after nearly a year since this game first disappointed me and... I'm somehow even more disappointed.

Not only has practically none of the stuff I care about been addressed by the devs, most of the mods that made this game playable have been abandoned by their original modders and only some of those have had volunteers come up to take their place updating the lapsed mods.

The fact alone that the Community Patch, in particular is dead in the water bodes extremely ill for MB2's future.

This whole game feels like a sinking ship and the devs have basically communicated that they DGAF what fans think about anything they've done. This whole EA cycle has been a miserable failure.
Yep.

Yes, it's dead because they fixed the perks, genius. Why would you need that mod otherwise? How does fixing something "bode extremely ill" for MB2's future?

Agreed. I come to the forum once a week it feels to see updates or any change at all. I'm done with TW at this point on any future projects. I'm grateful for them being innovators for this type of game but they failed me. This was a poorly handled EA.

So, have the developers addressed any of this or have they ignored it like everything else?

Also, to whoever it was that brought up reviewing bombing doing nothing...Chrono Trigger was reviewed bombed. Community mods tried to make it better. 1 month later, Square Enix was forced to patch it to restore DS-styled graphics and other such changes. The most recent example of review bombing working is NieR Automata on Steam. Smacked with bad reviews citing the Microsoft Client patch. A few weeks later, the patch was announced for Steam.

It has its merits for sure. It may not work all of the time, but it seems like it is the only way these big wigs will ever listen because they look at the positive reviews and consider it a success since most people either haven't complained about it or appears to like it the way that it is.

EDIT

I found a response from April 3rd (2021). I'll keep looking for more information and edit it here, that way people with the same question as me doesn't have to do a wild goose chase on the forum to find it.

If the modders abandon Bannerlord, there will be nothing left for the game or the community except a handful of blind loyalists who would celebrate any bug fix patch. I know that if the modders abandon it, I will too. They are the only ones trying to fix the game and add life to it. Most of them succeed in a shorter time frame than the official developers, and do so without being paid. It's quite...something.

I will hold out hope though. I want to see Bannerlord become so incredible it makes Warband look like a child's game. And that will be something, since Warband is incredible!

Yes, it's dead because they fixed the perks, genius. Why would you need that mod otherwise? How does fixing something "bode extremely ill" for MB2's future?

Someone got very triggered.

Last edited:
I spent hundreds of hours playing modded versions of Warband, thank you Modders. I hope something will change in TW for better, if not, in near future we all will get a ban on this forum.

I spent hundreds of hours playing modded versions of Warband, thank you Modders. I hope something will change in TW for better, if not, in near future we all will get a ban on this forum.

On GOG I had something like 300hrs before Galaxy came along, then I put in a trackable 250. Almost all of which was with Prophesy of Pendor. Bannerlord will get there eventually, I'm almost certain of it, but it does pain a little to have to go through the entire process.

On GOG I had something like 300hrs before Galaxy came along, then I put in a trackable 250. Almost all of which was with Prophesy of Pendor. Bannerlord will get there eventually, I'm almost certain of it, but it does pain a little to have to go through the entire process.
You'd think 9 years of development would be enough of a process but I guess not.

I read it on the mount and blade subreddit a couple times over the years and seen it a few times here, too. I just assumed since it was never corrected by moderators or developers, it was accurate. My bad.
He means they didn't rewrite the engine from scratch each time but needed to change it significantly. It's a more nuanced phrasing.

He means they didn't rewrite the engine from scratch each time but needed to change it significantly. It's a more nuanced phrasing.
Regardless, there really are no excuses left at this point. Long development time or worldwide pandemic or whatever... there simply is not a possible good explanation for being a year out of EA and still not even having a roadmap for future development - all while obsessively-loyal modders are dropping like flies.

Even now, I have no clue what is motivating current development because it sure as hell isn't most of the fans. The devs nerfed autobattle... nerfed tournaments/arena... nerfed caravans and workshops... and nerfed special units and cavalry too, apparently? (I wouldn't know on the last point - I use Realistic Battle)

They nerfed pretty much everything but grinding looters for hundreds of hours in non-simulated battles because that's apparently how you're supposed to play the game. And the only explanation I have for that is that they hate us and want us to suffer because that sounds like video game hell to me.

Remember when people complained about how AI lords would get captured and then escape and then return 10 mins later with an army of 300 recruits... they decided to buff the AI by *cheating* them high-level armies on respawn. Like... WHAT? How did they miss the point THAT hard? We complained that the AI was cheating and then they made the AI cheat EVEN MORE.

And this is besides the fact that smithing is still broken... personality traits are still broken... entire skills like leadership + roguery + medicine + engineering are impossible to level except in late-game (and even then only if you want to dedicate a couple years to it)... and most of the kingdom/vassal/AI-lord mechanics aren't even implemented...

Who the hell asked for any of this? Is it just the loudest people? Or is it just their staff just making arbitrary decisions about what THEY think is fun?

And ALL of this could and would be consistently fixed with mods made by people who actually know what they're doing - if only they hadn't forgotten mod support... you know... the ONE thing that famously made WB so successful.

The one thing I can say from my current playthrough - my first since I last gave up on this thing ?six? months ago - is that sieges seem to work slightly better now so I don't always do autobattle when defending a settlement.

It's noteworthy that this forum a year ago was plagued by 90% screeching howler monkeys flaming anyone with the mildest criticism of the game and like 10% reasonable people... now it seems like that proportion has flipped.

Could be just the couple threads I looked at, tho. I can't be arsed to lurk further after the hundreds of hours of my life this game has already stolen from me.

At this point, I feel pretty justified in being angry.

And, really, I'd be pretty easy to turn back into a happy, hopeful SOON megafan.... all it'd take is a slight indication that TW gives a lazy f*** at a rolling donut what people like me think. That they're remotely interested in the feedback of people whose money they've already taken.

Rules:
[...]
Double-posting/Duplicate Threads — If you wish to contribute further to a conversation, and yours was the last post in the thread, please edit your last post instead of creating a new one.
[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's noteworthy that this forum a year ago was plagued by 90% screeching howler monkeys flaming anyone with the mildest criticism of the game and like 10% reasonable people
If anyone is feeling nostalgic for this kind of environment, the subreddits are still like that last i checked.

So, have the developers addressed any of this or have they ignored it like everything else?

Also, to whoever it was that brought up reviewing bombing doing nothing...Chrono Trigger was reviewed bombed. Community mods tried to make it better. 1 month later, Square Enix was forced to patch it to restore DS-styled graphics and other such changes. The most recent example of review bombing working is NieR Automata on Steam. Smacked with bad reviews citing the Microsoft Client patch. A few weeks later, the patch was announced for Steam.

It has its merits for sure. It may not work all of the time, but it seems like it is the only way these big wigs will ever listen because they look at the positive reviews and consider it a success since most people either haven't complained about it or appears to like it the way that it is.

EDIT

I found a response from April 3rd (2021). I'll keep looking for more information and edit it here, that way people with the same question as me doesn't have to do a wild goose chase on the forum to find it.

If the modders abandon Bannerlord, there will be nothing left for the game or the community except a handful of blind loyalists who would celebrate any bug fix patch. I know that if the modders abandon it, I will too. They are the only ones trying to fix the game and add life to it. Most of them succeed in a shorter time frame than the official developers, and do so without being paid. It's quite...something.

I will hold out hope though. I want to see Bannerlord become so incredible it makes Warband look like a child's game. And that will be something, since Warband is incredible!

Someone got very triggered.
I posted about review bombing and i got a message from TW saying to never post that again in the forum or ill be banned. That was the only time I've ever heard from a TW Dev

Remember everyone that TW is subsidized by the Turkish Govt so they can go as slow as they want for development and patches and still get a pay day.

They are not

"To improve conditions for Turkish developers, the Game Developers Association of Turkey (TOGED) was founded in 2014. TOGED is tasked with representing developers, both on the international market and with the Turkish government. Although developers receive state funding, there's still room for improvement."

"Turkish developers don't seem to be concerned about the government having an influence on the scene in exchange for cash."

Yes they are......

Back
Top Bottom