Why is there a time limit for the main quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

hrhi260

Recruit
I have made a new game not so long ago, I have spent 12 years(game time) and it's incredibly fun, however, i noticed that the main quest failed.
I don't like the fact it has a time limit to begin with, i play at my own pace, i take my time, i enjoy the game and the possibilities that may occur, and the worse thing is that it's incredibly hard for me to start my own kingdom now, i am 1 guy, against an entire kingdom, even if i do manage to conquer a castle i still need to fight an entire kingdom that will send an army of a thousand to fight me, it's just nearly impossible.
So i decided to make parties.
I made more parties but they can't even help, they just wander around building their own armies.. i want to at least have the ability to make them follow me or something.

Anyway, my point is, it's a stupid thing. and in my opinion, it needs to be removed, i don't want to rush to become a king, i want to have fun playing the game, and if the quest fails it's becoming even harder for me to make my own kingdom so i am pretty much stuck and unable to do anything, i considered executing every enemy lord that i defeat but if i do that every lord alive will just hate me, so that's game over for me. i can't conquer any castles on my own, so what am i suppose to do? i spent 3 days playing with my current character, and now i have to restart because of a time limit? it's frustrating. to the point that i want to stop playing because I'm unable to experience the world at my own pace. i hope they change it soon.

Last edited:
Agreed. Proper kingdom prep can take a very long time, actually the more time spent the better! IMO the questline encourages players to make a kingdom too soon and leads to an unpleasant to unplayable game state for many.

You can just ignore the main quest entirely. It is not required for creating your own kingdom.

I do not think you have to start over unless you just want to. If you start over in sandbox, you will not have the benefit of recruiting your brothers and sister because that quest does not exist in sandbox. Those family members can be very helpful/

To create a kingdom, you need to be independent (not a mercenary or vassal), your clan must be level 4, and you must own at least one fief. Then the Create ingdom button on your clan page will work.

It is possible to take a town or castle by yourself. Make sure you are independent, then be on the lookout for a fief that either has changed hands recently or is in rebellion. It will likely have a very depleted garrison, then attack. A town in rebellion is the best because (1) no r5elation hit for starting a war, (2) no army will come to rescue it, and (3) it's a town, so it will make more money.

Once you take it, find a lord from the faction that owned it and offer peace. You can probably get peace pretty cheap (under 50k even) with no tribute to pay. Lords do not take American Express, but they do accept those javelins you've been cheesing.

Now that you have a fief (let's assume you got a nice town), and you have managed to negotiate peace, you can start preparing to create a kingdom, and you can do it in peace because as long as you don't have a kingdom, no one will declare war on you. Watch for another town to take, grow your army, increase your income, and soon you'll be ready to declare your place among the big dogs.

Last edited:
Start a sandbox game if you want to fool around and not be a slave to Armagan's whims.
Sandbox is the same.. it's exactly the same, from what i noticed i can just choose at what age i begin the journey, and that's all.
I would rather have the ability to take my time doing the main quest, and not be rushed by it.
As i already said, the only thing that bothers me is the fact it has a TIME LIMIT. it doesn't help in any way, it just makes MY game experience worse. and that's my opinion.

You can just ignore the main quest entirely. It is not required for creating your own kingdom.

I do not think you have to start over unless you just want to. If you start over in sandbox, you will not have the benefit of recruiting your brothers and sister because that quest does not exist in sandbox. Those family members can be very helpful/

To create a kingdom, you need to be independent (not a mercenary or vassal), your clan must be level 4, and you must own at least one fief. Then the Create ingdom button on your clan page will work.

It is possible to take a town or castle by yourself. Make sure you are independent, then be on the lookout for a fief that either has changed hands recently or is in rebellion. It will likely have a very depleted garrison, then attack. A town in rebellion is the best because (1) no r5elation hit for starting a war, (2) no army will come to rescue it, and (3) it's a town, so it will make more money.

Once you take it, find a lord from the faction that owned it and offer peace. You can probably get peace pretty cheap (under 50k even) with no tribute to pay. Lords do not take American Express, but they do accept those javelins you've been cheesing.

Now that you have a fief (let's assume you got a nice town), and you have managed to negotiate peace, you can start preparing to create a kingdom, and you can do it in peace because as long as you don't have a kingdom, no one will declare war on you. Watch for another town to take, grow your army, increase your income, and soon you'll be ready to declare your place among the big dogs.
I am ignoring it, and i am trying to become a king, however it is harder...
I mean if you complete the quest

Thanks for the advice, i would try it out.
However i still don't understand why the quest has a time limit, the quest itself is interesting, it makes the game experience.. feel better, in a way.
and from what you are saying, the quest has no benefit.. it just makes the game experience feel worse. if you fail the quest it's harder for you to have a kingdom since if you do manage to complete the quest the enemy faction declares peace upon you, so you have an easy start as a king, and you can grow a kingdom in a peaceful way, and once again the fact i have TIME LIMIT bothers me, i want to play the game at my own pace, and i would like not to be stressed by a quest.
Anyway, thank you for the advice, i will try my best to make a kingdom even though it's hard.

You need to feel rushed into things you don't want to do, it's the only way.
I do want to be king though.. but i want to be able to become one in my PACE. for some, it can take a short time to have their own kingdom, but for me it takes longer, i want to enjoy every aspect of the game before i have the responsibility of a king.
I am not a hardcore player, i take my time when i play games, especially games like bannerlord, and that's why the time limit bothers me.
What i am trying to say is they should let us the players decide at what pace we want to play this game, the game is great i love playing it, but i just don't want to feel stressed when it comes to TIME.

I have spent 12 years(game time) and it's incredibly fun,
giphy.gif

hrhi260 wrote -- " , , , if you do manage to complete the quest the enemy faction declares peace upon you, so you have an easy start as a king, "

Where did you get this information? As far as I have heard, it is impossible to complete the quest. Pursuing it just guarantees unending war with half the factions, and this never stops.

You are better off taking a town, then negotiating peace like I described.

Start a sandbox game if you want to fool around and not be a slave to Armagan's whims.
Unfortunately, sandbox mode axes the player-character's siblings from the game.

from what you are saying, the quest has no benefit.. it just makes the game experience feel worse. if you fail the quest it's harder for you to have a kingdom since if you do manage to complete the quest the enemy faction declares peace upon you, so you have an easy start as a king, and you can grow a kingdom in a peaceful way
That isn't how it works. The quest generally makes it more difficult, by causing three powerful factions to all declare war on you at the same time. The only time it ever makes things easier (unless you count being able to start your own kingdom one clan-tier earlier, which isn't exactly "easier") is when you finally manage to win the quest, at which point all remaining clans of your kingdom-type will join your faction (even the faction leaders, which can't happen otherwise). But that isn't "an easy start as a king," because that typically happens near the end of the game, not near the beginning of your kingdom.

For example, I chose to create an Imperial kingdom. By the time I was powerful enough to take 2/3rds of all settlements of Imperial culture, I was already ~90% of the way through the game, in terms of of game-hours. After that, it was just cleanup, with the 'snowball effect' making it exponentially easier to steamroll the rest of the map. For the last hundred game-days or so, I didn't even have to do any sieges; at that point, my lords were creating massive armies and doing their jobs so that I didn't have to, allowing me to focus on hunting down, fighting, & recruiting the remaining lords I wanted in my kingdom.

Update: it just occurred to me that things might go more the way you describe if you are a vassal prior to starting your kingdom. I've never been a vassal in Bannerlord, so I've not given much thought to how a vassal-then-king playthrough will go. If the kingdom you're a vassal of manages to seriously weaken the other kingdoms of your type, so that when you form your own kingdom, you're almost at the 2/3rds mark for the quest, then yeah, you might have an easy time with your new kingdom.

As far as I have heard, it is impossible to complete the quest. Pursuing it just guarantees unending war with half the factions, and this never stops.
It used to be impossible, but as of 1.5.6, it was possible to complete the quest. I assume it's still possible in 1.5.9, but I haven't gotten to that point in 1.5.9 yet.

Last edited:
hrhi260 wrote -- " , , , if you do manage to complete the quest the enemy faction declares peace upon you, so you have an easy start as a king, "

Where did you get this information? As far as I have heard, it is impossible to complete the quest. Pursuing it just guarantees unending war with half the factions, and this never stops.

You are better off taking a town, then negotiating peace like I described.
I kinda saw a video of it happening, u can search it in youtube i believe, maybe it was a mod idk, but the moment you manage to get all the requirements you just go back to one of the cities, and speak with one of the 2 npc's then its pretty much done and there is auto peace, at least that's what i saw in the video.

Unfortunately, sandbox mode axes the player-character's siblings from the game.

That isn't how it works. The quest generally makes it more difficult, by causing three powerful factions to all declare war on you at the same time. The only time it ever makes things easier (unless you count being able to start your own kingdom one clan-tier earlier, which isn't exactly "easier") is when you finally manage to win the quest, at which point all remaining clans of your kingdom-type will join your faction (even the faction leaders, which can't happen otherwise). But that isn't "an easy start as a king," because that typically happens near the end of the game, not near the beginning of your kingdom.

For example, I chose to create an Imperial kingdom. By the time I was powerful enough to wipe out all three other Imperial kingdoms, I was already ~90% of the way through the game, in terms of of game-hours. After that, it was just cleanup, with the 'snowball effect' making it exponentially easier to steamroll the rest of the map. For the last hundred game-days or so, I didn't even have to do any sieges; at that point, my lords were creating massive armies and doing their jobs so that I didn't have to, allowing me to focus on hunting down, fighting, & recruiting the remaining lords I wanted in my kingdom.

It used to be impossible, but as of 1.5.6, it was possible to complete the quest. I assume it's still possible in 1.5.9, but I haven't gotten to that point in 1.5.9 yet.
I actually didn't know they declare war upon you once the quest is completed. maybe they just changed a lot of things in the updates.. guess i will find out sooner or later.

I actually didn't know they declare war upon you once the quest is completed. maybe they just changed a lot of things in the updates.. guess i will find out sooner or later.
There are at least two conditions under which the three most powerful non-Imperial kingdoms will make peace with each other and all declare war on your Imperial kingdom during the Dragon Banner quest. There may be a third.

First is if the conspiracy progress gets to 2000/2000. Second is if you capture 2/3rds of all settlements of Imperial culture. I'm not sure what happens if you manage to get the conspiracy progress to 0/2000; it's effectively impossible to get to that point if your kingdom is geographically large (as mine was), because many of the conspiracy quests will spawn too far from you for you to be able to complete them in time. The caravan being the main problem here, of course.

Oh—while you were replying to my post, I made a significant addendum to it. You may want to go revisit it. Sorry about the mess...

There is a lot of dated, conjectural and out-right wrong information out there. Be careful, especially of the old stuff.

Originally, you could make a kingdom at tier 3 with the quest, but now that requires tier 4, just like making a kingdom without the quest.

If you want to enjoy a peaceful period for building your holdings, don't run right out and create a kingdom. Build your towns and whenever you go to war to take something, immediately negotiate peace.

Last edited:
There are at least two conditions under which the three most powerful non-Imperial kingdoms will make peace with each other and all declare war on your Imperial kingdom during the Dragon Banner quest. There may be a third.

First is if the conspiracy progress gets to 2000/2000. Second is if you capture 2/3rds of all settlements of Imperial culture. I'm not sure what happens if you manage to get the conspiracy progress to 0/2000; it's effectively impossible to get to that point if your kingdom is geographically large (as mine was), because many of the conspiracy quests will spawn too far from you for you to be able to complete them in time. The caravan being the main problem here, of course.

Oh—while you were replying to my post, I made a significant addendum to it. You may want to go revisit it. Sorry about the mess...
All good, thank you for telling me of all of that, good to know.

It was the incredibly fun part, I am surprised people still enjoy the game
There is just enough new **** trickling in to keep me interested. I start a new campaign about every other update (1.5.5, 1.5.7, 1.5.9).

But I haven't tried that main quest since way back when Moses was a corporal. I got the banner and created a kingdom, and then everyone and their dog declared war on me. So I haven't gone down that road again since.

However i still don't understand why the quest has a time limit,
Probably they made all quests have to have a time limit as part of their set up, BEFORE making any quests, and it was too hard to remove it so they just made it a big long time limit, not realizing it's not long enough because probably nobody played it in a normal way to test it out. It's very obvious the quest is designed without the rest of the game's mechanics in mind, your kingdom is usually doomed if you rush to make it as the quest prods you to do. The quest also gives no insight in to how to prepare before building a kingdom.

Back
Top Bottom