One of the most important aspects of Medieval life is missing in Mount and Blade: RELIGION

Users who are viewing this thread

This has been an issue since the original Mount and Blade. I do not know why Taleworlds isn't introducing Religion by any shape or form into the game, considering it is essential in making an authentic medieval simulator which it tries to be.
For the Nobility, religion was the reason why:
  • You declared wars. In fact, 92% of all Medieval conflicts had a religious cassus belli behind it (Stamford et al., 2009)
  • Some noble marriages worked while others did not. All noble marriages had to be religiously compatible. A Protestant lord marrying a Catholic lady? That can potentially have HUGE political consequences.
  • There was inter-kingdom political divide. Without it, it severely limits political intrigue and espionage
  • Pretty much all edicts, policies, construction of castles, and development of towns had to be validated religiously by the local religious figurehead. Archbishop does not allow expansion of the castle? Well you're ****ed. Or you can bribe him with a hefty "donation" to the Catholic church.
For the Common Peasant, religion was the reason why:
  • You had good harvests, bad harvests
  • You would spend leisure time (non-working time), often visiting the local chapel several times a day
  • You work hard, be loyal to your lord, and serve your liege in Battle because doing so would reap great rewards in the afterlife (heaven). Recently conquered a region with a different religion? Be ready to have civic unrest
This is mostly based on Catholicism in Western Europe, but I imagine the significance of Eastern Orthodoxy and Islam was just the same, if not more.

Taleworlds can start by introducing 4 basic types of religions based on the current faction's real-life counterparts. For detailed gameplay mechanics, look no further to CK3
PAGAN or some creative polytheist Counterpart- Khuzait, Sturgia, Battania
  • No negative penalties, or positive
Some made-up CATHOLICISM Counterpart- Vlandia
  • Basic negative attitude toward Pagan, Islam religions
  • Basic positive affinity toward Orthodox counterpart
Some made-up ORTHODOXY Counterpart- Empire
  • Lets say Vlandia's Catholicism counterpart was a religious splinter from the Empire's original religion
  • Positive affinity toward Catholicism counterpart religions
  • Negative affinity toward Pagan, Islam religions
Some made-up ISLAM Counterpart- Aserai
  • Aserai is the largest faction in-game (both territory and settlement-wise).
  • We can introduce 2 sub-branches of the Islam counterpart religion for some interesting political divide
Example:
Sons of Gandir (Quyaz, Sanala, Qasira) >> prefer a more traditional approach of the Islam counterpart religion
Sons of Uraid (Razih, Husn Fulq) >> prefer a more extremist, war-like interpretation of the Islam counterpart religion

Was it some sort of scrapped content a data miner found out on reddit and it like many other things didn't make it to the EA ?
I literally just read that from here in this forum yesterday.

Would be kinda cool to see religion in the game in the form of some religious NPCs / buildings whatever but it'd be better to serve as a world building / lore type thing instead of an actual gameplay aspect

And it doesn't need religion. Its still fantasy afterall.

No doubt we'd have endless hordes of people larping as teutonic knights crusading every settlement on the map

pretty sure the reason there is no religion in the game is to avoid all the issues that comes with it. even if its a pretend religion you will still have issues

Yes, it feels so weird. There could be religious 'notables' in every town, affecting loyalty etc. etc.
Aside from adding a lot to the world-building, it would definitely add to gameplay (unless implemented in such a way that it didn't), quests, intrigues, character relations, faction relations, city and kingdom management. Every other historical game I've played manages to address religion without making it into a sensitive controversial issue.

pretty sure the reason there is no religion in the game is to avoid all the issues that comes with it. even if its a pretend religion you will still have issues
People need to get a grip.

You mean like the mass riots and newly ignited crusades that have taken place since the Total War Religious Turned Real War ??

I feel like the natural tendency for a faction to hate another faction based on its religion will make a less dynamic campaign, and probably screw up balance in a certain way. Certain wars will happen more often, and if a wildcard faction like the Khuzait declares war on a faction currently in a religious war, they're screwed.

I feel like the natural tendency for a faction to hate another faction based on its religion will make a less dynamic campaign, and probably screw up balance in a certain way. Certain wars will happen more often, and if a wildcard faction like the Khuzait declares war on a faction currently in a religious war, they're screwed.
It wouldn't have to be all about religious wars. It could be sort of like in Game of Thrones. You might get a wild cultish Stannis type waging war or an over-powered bishop High Sparrow type character causing unrest and so on. But mostly passive stuff.

Of course I'm imagining the game with a way wider scope than it has, which is stupid.

Viking Conquest -an official taleworlds game had religion -and alls it did was add more flavor and dynamism to the game worlds. Not like aint been done before boys.

I don't think this would actually add anything. "Intrigue" and "espionage" aren't limited by the lack of mechanical religion, they're limited by being limited.

We are living in a Woke world, some people want to forget that there was religion and religion wars, that we fight against Islam in Europe, many times.
But it's funny that people who think the game lacks content, realism and immersion, also do not want religion.
I just hope to see it in some mod,good post.

Forget about woke world or waging war for the sole purpose of religion, as far as I know TW wanted to bring religious clans inside cultures ( confirmed by data miners ).
You know which RPG does it pretty well in a fantasy world ? Skyrim ! ( TES in general )

Heck you could say Ubisoft is also bringing religion on their game, whether it plays a big part ( Assassins Creed ) or not ( Anno ).

To me it's adding another layer of flesh to the world of Calradia, and making it more alive. They could create a complete different mythos I wouldn't mind.

Back
Top Bottom