Bannerlords Roleplaying was Dissapointing

Users who are viewing this thread

The current game feels like a battle simulator with even less Roleplaying than Warband. Warband had tons of lord interactions and kingdom options that aren't in banner lord. The only real new additions for kingdom roleplay were the clan and kingdom decision systems. and ABOUT those

They serve no real purpose. They serve as much purpose as starting faction perks.

Ok, our kingdom voted to have a senate and royal majesty, that should be reflected in the actual game beyond settlement loyalty going up or some other useless perk. Image how cool it would be if we could actually enter a senate building, and the king's title would change and lords would treat him differently since he was seen as a sacred being. That would add so much to the gameplay beyond just settlement loyalty or the number of militias you can raise going up.

And when people suggest perfectly good features that can increase immersion, like capital cities and feasts, the devs shrug it off. Taleworlds doesn't understand that little things like that can lead to other features, and they can increase imersion. imagine if you go to a feast and you invite a lord to the backroom and you plot an assassination, or you appoint a chamberlain to manage your kingdom in a capital city, little things like this would make the game feel more like a true Medieval fantasy rather than a battle game with roleplaying even less in-depth than its predecessor.

And even then, half of the things that were promised in the dev blogs are not in the game. Where is the ability to take control of existing factions via a civil war, that's not in the game.

The fans have been YELLING for a proper longterm roadmap for months, just give us one already.

I still have some hopes that they will add some of those suggested features... but for sure it will be far in future, I think that they have enough workload trying to implement and fix the current roadmap so they won't to start on new things for some time.

Yap I am naive! let me keep being for a while .... :smile:

The current game feels like a battle simulator...

And when people suggest perfectly good features that can increase immersion, like capital cities and feasts, the devs shrug it off. Taleworlds doesn't understand that little things like that can lead to other features, and they can increase imersion.
Totally. The responses from the devs are almost more off-putting than the absence of so many features. They say things like capital cities will have no "gameplay value"... but they'll add characters gaining body fat. Almost everything that would make the game more immersive is met with inexplicable reluctance or opposition. Things which seem obvious to everyone playing the game aren't even considered by the studio.
Like It took a year of people complaining about the absence of diplomacy (and presumably certain devs bringing it up in meetings) for them to consider displaying to the player a few simplistic reasons for war votes. They were otherwise fine with the whole system being hidden background code with not so much as a mere visual indicator of anything for the person playing the game.
It feels as though they are unaware that actual humans are playing the game and not AI bots.

I was so optimistic about this game and studio a year ago.

Nah. If they do grant it, I'm 100% convinced it will be placed behind a paywall for some sort of DLC package.

You want (insert whatever feature you want)? Sure!! Pay 30-40$ for this BRAND NEW DLC package!!!!

Nevermind the fact that we claimed alot of this was going to be base game content!! We're totally serious about getting you these features you've requested for so long NOW because we can now officially charge you for it. Oh! And don't forget, we're only giving you part of your request package so we can spread it into multiple DLC's like the businessman we are!!!

Trust us!! We totally don't give a **** about consumer loyalty because we know despite all your *****ing and moaning, you'll buy it anyway. So shut up and break out your wallet you peons/stooges!!! We want money!!!! Give it!!!!

~~~ Definitely Taleworlds.

Relations getting tied to clans instead of individuals really reduce the RP aspect of the game. Thankfully there's that True Relation mod to solve it, but I don't know if it's been updated for 1.5.9.

The game is focused around working well on consoles, there's no intention of adding roleplay, complexity or immersion.

All you need to do is look at the recent addition/replacement of the radial UI system or the removal of the troop count slider for set numbers, accessibility for console is infiltrating everywhere like a ****ing virus.

Totally. The responses from the devs are almost more off-putting than the absence of so many features. They say things like capital cities will have no "gameplay value"... but they'll add characters gaining body fat. Almost everything that would make the game more immersive is met with inexplicable reluctance or opposition. Things which seem obvious to everyone playing the game aren't even considered by the studio.
Like It took a year of people complaining about the absence of diplomacy (and presumably certain devs bringing it up in meetings) for them to consider displaying to the player a few simplistic reasons for war votes. They were otherwise fine with the whole system being hidden background code with not so much as a mere visual indicator of anything for the person playing the game.
It feels as though they are unaware that actual humans are playing the game and not AI bots.

I was so optimistic about this game and studio a year ago.

yeah its pretty telling (and depressing) knowing that they -themselves, the developers are generally fine with the state of the game as it is. It is certain that he did not hire hardcore fans of the previous games so these current developers have no sense of duty to preserve and enhance legacy.

The clan system does not deliver the immersion we desire.
We need characters on their personal level.

Relations getting tied to clans instead of individuals really reduce the RP aspect of the game. Thankfully there's that True Relation mod to solve it, but I don't know if it's been updated for 1.5.9.
Yep. In warband lord personalities and inter relations effected how they behaved in campaign, it wasn't perfect but it existed. In Bannerlord, HAVE INFLUENCE = EVERY ONE IN ARMY forever, always, no changes.

SO even if they do add more to traits and more different behaviors based on them (are they even though?) how will it work with a number (influence) being the on/off switch for every thing and all clan members sharing 1 relation value.

They could get companions and lord to interact based on their traits like cruel peole not liking certain types. Hell, I#d love it if crel lords has a chance of executing prisoners. But mostly its the lore, they need to insert into dialogues and coversation options. One of the worst decision TW made was make men and women equal when it was differnt in Warband, how did Caldaria got less progressive as time went on?

Adding little cultural things into dialogues and hints to how they might evolve into the factions in Warband might give a more ineresting world. With all the clans around they could all have their own goals the player could aligned with. The goals could vaguely points to how Caldaria turned into what was in Warband, stuff like Battania and Vlandia.

Honestly at this point I'm more interested in minor clans fighting to be king in each of the factions. Interal strife would make for a more dynamic and interesting world than the main factions fighting each other. For example if a faction becomes too successful and has a lot of powerful lords, one clan getting too powerful will try to overthrow the leader in a civil war, might help with the snow balling, but would also give decision point for player to side with one side or the other. The current North, Shouth adn West Empires is too simplistic.

One of the worst decision TW made was make men and women equal when it was differnt in Warband, how did Caldaria got less progressive as time went on?
That one is actually logical. At some point after Bannerlord, they realized that sending their noble women to war was a bad idea, because nobody remained home maintaining the household. Women die on the field with the men, and the family line is finished.

That one is actually logical. At some point after Bannerlord, they realized that sending their noble women to war was a bad idea, because nobody remained home maintaining the household. Women die on the field with the men, and the family line is finished.
Doesn't fit the dialogues in Warband though, all that "old ways" stuff.

I end up at that realization every time I come back to the game after a break. Spend a solid amount of time getting a character & clan up to strength only to be doing the same exact field battle 100 times, having to fight the same terrible AI formations, then finally getting to a siege to see they have yet to fix anything related to those either. It's sad that the game continues to lack the soul that warband had already showcased more than a decade ago and we just have to be Believers of Soon™ for much of what was already in the last installments.

This would be a great addition, I feel that the devs kind of just pulled names out of a bowl for policies. I so wish we had control of a kingdom composition and had appropriate policies for them. A Khanate shouldnt have a Senate, but if I want to run a Great Horde Empire, I should be able to be the Khan or Grand Prince of Calradian Empire South

It really does ruin the roleplaying aspect the series has been known (and adored for) for years. I am not a developer, so I probably do not understand it all, but it would seem to me that a simple change like this would be exceptionally easy for a professional to implement into the game.

I just want Bannerlord to reach that level of immersive roleplaying in a sandbox world that Warband (in particular, Viking Conquest) granted us. I do like a lot of the new stuff BL introduced to the series, but at the cost of some of the older features? I don't feel like it's a good trade off right now.

Having to fight 6261726482 battles per in game year is what mostly ruins RP for me. War pace and aging pace are not synced at all.

Having to fight 6261726482 battles per in game year is what mostly ruins RP for me. War pace and aging pace are not synced at all.
I really agree here, but I can't see any alternative to it. Fewer battles would be nice but there needs to be a reason for it. It makes so sense if nobels could rebuild their armies within days but wait a week before fighting again.

Another but unrelated idea would be to have companions actually travel around the map rather than teleport between towns. They could travel as part of villager groups or caravans. It would actually make some sense to how they appear in various towns and might even stumble on one on the map. They'll be at risk of being attacked by bandits and probably taken prisoner but that should add to RP when you recruit a companion you rescued from bandits. Having them stay in villages in between traveling to different towns would also be nice, it'll give more importance to villages than just recruiting spots.

Edit: Actually if companions sometimes acts like minor clans, going around builting their own party that would be pretty interesting too.

Edit 2: If all nobles/companions behave according to their traits, it might make for a more diverse/dinamic world. Say Daring means they're more willing to fight out numbered. Generous might have more high tier troops with more food types while Close Fisted pay less and have mostly low end troops. Cruel might execute prisoners or declare war more. Honorable might not take nobels as prisoners and keep to peace agreements. When forming armies those with similar traits could be more likely to join.

Last edited:
Unless you expect TW to be able to develop an entire additional game (CK3) inside of BL, not to mention turning BL into just CK3 in the process, that's just how it is. The game's about pitched combat, it's gotta have pitched combat frequently.

Back
Top Bottom