SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Fallen Companion Gear Suggestion (Poll and Discussion)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, I wanted to discuss a possible change to the companion gear system. My suggestion is the player, (who is the head of the clan), receives the battle armor/weapons/horse, of fallen family members or clan members.

Description:

• In order to receive their loot, the fallen members must be in the same clan as the player.
  • Receive the loot only if the fallen clan member participated in the same battle as player (meaning the player cannot receive the loot if the fallen member is in a separate party of their own, unless they are in the same army or battle as you when they die.)
  • Finally the player must win the battle in order to receive the gear.
  • However, I believe the player should lose the fallen companions civilian outfit, since that is what the remains will be left in.

How I think it would look in the game:

Once the battle is over, you will see the indicator that a clan member has fallen. After you deal with the prisoners and move on to the looting screen, you will automatically see the fallen clan member's gear in your inventory.

Reasons:

Early in one of my playthroughs, I had given my only companion 4 pieces of gear that I had won in several tournaments that took around an hour to obtain because I suck. I entered a battle with a small group of bandits and had around 20 mid-tier archers. As I am waiting in the back with my companion watching the archers pick off the bandits one by one. A bandit with a hell of an arm, yeets a javelin from 40 meters away, and slaps my companion in the face, killing them. None of my other soldiers were killed or injured, and I lost all of my companions loot. I cried. I was reminded of this tragedy when I lost one of my clan members in a battle 2 days ago on 1.5.9 beta.

I believe this will help the new and early player's game experience since it is hard to obtain good loot for companions.
Historically, medieval armor was obtain mostly through inheritance in families, which will also help with the immersion.
I also don't think this will affect any of the major current game mechanics (but I don't know s**t about coding) and I wanted to propose an easy solution to the problem.

Thank you for listening to my first post. Please comment and add any suggestions or feedback.

Last edited:
you could remove the gear of your dead companion in the loot screen. or it used to be like this. haven't tried it recently.

I have heard of this too, but it has not always worked for me, and during my earlier experience, I didn't even know my companion had perished in battle. So its easy for players to forget or miss there death in the screen.

I think any armor and weapons of the dead should go to their heirs only. Once you give some equipment to a NPC to wear, it's his, so it's doubly inappropriate to strip it back off his corpse.
Only if he has no natural heirs and he wrote a will making you the sole heir, you could take it off, but you should still be viewed as a graverobber in a polite company.

I think any armor and weapons of the dead should go to their heirs only. Once you give some equipment to a NPC to wear, it's his, so it's doubly inappropriate to strip it back off his corpse.
Only if he has no natural heirs and he wrote a will making you the sole heir, you could take it off, but you should still be viewed as a graverobber in a polite company.
That is true, I agree that it should go back to the family members. But no one in the clan, besides yourself, has any heirs, and the non-family companions do not have any family lineage. I am not suggesting taking the gear from other fallen lords outside of your own clan, unless its your fallen enemy. I believe the gear should fall into their own clan leaders inventory.

Historically fallen nobles loot was given to the family. Nobles who died in battle were not just left in there armor and buried on the spot. There was a ceremony. The three main ways medieval soldiers obtain armor was through inheritance, gear from dead enemies on the battle field, and renting armor from lords. Because owning and maintaining gear is expensive and heavy. It might seem inappropriate, but its the medieval era not the present time.

With this in mind, its more likely that the gear you gave to the companion is being rented out rather than being given to keep forever. Which is why you can take and remove the gear at anytime of there existence. Plus no one is ever buried, cremated, or laid to rest with the clothes they died wearing in modern times.

Everything you currently suggested like wills and inheritance is sadly to complicated right now. I am more focused on a simple fix to help the players game experience.

Last edited:
Historically fallen nobles loot was given to the family. Nobles who died in battle were not just left in there armor and buried on the spot. There was a ceremony. The three main ways medieval soldiers obtain armor was through inheritance, gear from dead enemies on the battle field, and renting armor from lords. Because owning and maintaining gear is expensive and heavy. It might seem inappropriate, but its the medieval era not the present time.
I think there was also the possibility to win someone's armor in a battlefield or a tournament duel as ransom.

With this in mind, its more likely that the gear you gave to the companion is being rented out rather than being given to keep forever. Which is why you can take and remove the gear at anytime of there existence. Plus no one is ever buried, cremated, or laid to rest with the clothes they died wearing in current modern times.

Everything you currently suggested like wills and inheritance is sadly to complicated right now. I am more focused on a simple fix to help the players game experience.
I'm basically trolling and was not serious at all (your concern about losing expensive companion armor is widely accepted as a problem), but thanks for the quality reply.

Sorry, I did not mean to sound serious either lol. I would also like to see dueling for armor, but I haven't heard any news on a dueling system in singleplayer.

If your companion dies, you can get the gear he was wearing back. After selecting which prisoners you want into your prison train and the loot screen pops, just select your fallen comrade and remove his gear. You also mentioned that it was difficult to realize when a companion dies. I strongly recommend taking the time to look at the victory details when you have defeated your enemy or they've routed. Any lords, ladies or companions that have perished in glorious battle will be listed at the top of that screen, so you can see if one of your party members had finally met their fate.

Back
Top Bottom